Facing the BB, HT and brake tabs

Old March 13th 07, 03:42 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Slack

Default Facing the BB, HT and brake tabs

Anyone know what the typical price is to have your BB, HT and disc tabs
faced?

Second question: Is facing the BB even necessary with them fancy OB BBs?
--
Slack
Old March 13th 07, 04:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Slack wrote:
Anyone know what the typical price is to have your BB, HT and disc tabs
faced?

If they charge you more than $5 then walk away. If you give them enough
other business, they shouldn't charge you more than that.

Second question: Is facing the BB even necessary with them fancy OB BBs?
--Slack

All of mine have been. All the same Race Face external BB.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old March 13th 07, 07:51 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paul Boyd

Slack said the following on 13/03/2007 03:42:
Anyone know what the typical price is to have your BB, HT and disc tabs
faced?

About 20 quid.

Second question: Is facing the BB even necessary with them fancy OB BBs?

I thought it was even more important with those BBs.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old March 13th 07, 11:32 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Duncan

"Slack" wrote in message
news
Anyone know what the typical price is to have your BB, HT and disc tabs
faced?

I was wondering that exact thing just the other day. I had a warranty frame
done before I picked it up and it seemed a bit expensive. I didn't complain
though, it was done by one of the best mechanics in Australia[1] and how
well it's done is an important factor.

Second question: Is facing the BB even necessary with them fancy OB BBs?

As another poster said, it's more important with external bearing BBs.
There was a small but noticable improvement in the running. A few problem
cranks I've seen/heard has been cured by facing.
The mechanic said facing the HT was more important on cartridge style
bearings than loose ball ones.
I was told not to bother facing the brake tabs with my Hayes brakes as they
use an adapter which is unlikely to be square itself.

[1] Obviously impossible to judge but first choice for mechanic in national
race teams.

Old March 13th 07, 01:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
wizardB

Duncan wrote:
"Slack" wrote in message
news
[...]

My LBS did mine for free when I picked up my last Frame.
Old March 13th 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Mar 12, 10:18 pm, Ride-A-Lot
wrote:
Slack wrote:
Anyone know what the typical price is to have your BB, HT and disc tabs
faced?

If they charge you more than $5 then walk away. If you give them enough
other business, they shouldn't charge you more than that.

Agreed, if the people doing the work are the same ones that sold the
frame.

That said, frame tools are expensive and have a limited life. If the
frame was purchased off-site then he should expect to pay for the
service. The going rate around here is 35 to 50 bucks.

Old March 14th 07, 03:26 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Slack

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:19:19 -0700, wrote:

On Mar 12, 10:18 pm, Ride-A-Lot
wrote:
Slack wrote:
Anyone know what the typical price is to have your BB, HT and disc

tabs
faced?

If they charge you more than $5 then walk away. If you give them enough
other business, they shouldn't charge you more than that.

Agreed, if the people doing the work are the same ones that sold the
frame.

That said, frame tools are expensive and have a limited life. If the
frame was purchased off-site then he should expect to pay for the
service. The going rate around here is 35 to 50 bucks.

hmmm, I was just checking out the price of the tools not good....

Looks like I'm due for a LBS visit. Plus, I just removed the the cheesy
headset cup to install my Hopey bracket; now I see I need some deeper
cups... hopefully the HT /can be/ reamed.

The Giant frame is nice and I'm sure I'll love it after everything is done
and I'm slamming it down that first rock garden, but Turner quality it
ain't. Then again, my goal was to to build a nice solid [non-single pivot]
ride as inexpensive as possible.
--
Slack - getting ready to bust out the Dremel

Facing tolerance for BB CEarly Techniques 3 November 6th 05 03:38 PM
Look CX-7 Locking Tabs [email protected] Techniques 2 August 31st 05 09:55 PM
What is facing a frame Me Techniques 26 November 17th 04 03:52 PM
disk brake tabs as trailer hitch? Trevyn Watson General 3 March 8th 04 02:23 AM
Gnann-o-mat (disc brake tabs aligning tool) in Sydney Rado bladteth Rzeznicki Australia 2 July 3rd 03 03:11 PM