Bicycle Registration

Old July 10th 03, 11:54 AM
kingsley

Default Bicycle Registration

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:17:54 +1000, Andrew & Joanne wrote:

I am currently compiling a paper regarding the registration of bicycles for
use on our roads. Now at the risk of being called a troll, and evoking
emotional and abusive replies, I would like to ask you all a few questions
to gauge your reactions to the following questions.

Did horse & carts ever have to pay rego?
.... but we still had roads right ?

Aren't most rego taxes used for things other than roads
anyway? In NSW (Australia) I figured only the 3 cent fuel tax was
spent on roads. The RTA must spend 120% of it's budget on
their overly patronising advertising campains.

-kt

Old July 10th 03, 11:38 PM
Ray Peace

html
head
/head
body
Greetings, br
                No, horses and carts paid tolls instead. I'm currently doing
some research on local history. Before local councils were set up, most districts
had Roads Boards, which not only charged rates, but also levied tolls on
road users. This system lasted for several decades, and like tolls of a later
era was met with degrees of abuse of the toll-keepers and evasion. Thought
that might interest you. br
Regards, br
                Ray. br
br
kingsley wrote:br
blockquote type="cite" cite="midan.2003.03.23.08.04.03.869725@maddogsbr eakfast.com.au"
pre wrap=""On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:17:54 +1000, Andrew & Joanne wrote:brbrbr/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""I am currently compiling a paper regarding the registration of bicycles forbruse on our roads. Now at the risk of being called a troll, and evokingbremotional and abusive replies, I would like to ask you all a few questionsbrto gauge your reactions to the following questions.br/pre
/blockquote
pre wrap=""!----brbrDid horse & carts ever have to pay rego?br... but we still had roads right ?brbrAren't most rego taxes used for things other than roadsbranyway? In NSW (Australia) I figured only the 3 cent fuel tax wasbrspent on roads. The RTA must spend 120% of it's budget onbrtheir overly patronising advertising campains.brbr-ktbrbrbr/pre
/blockquote
br
/body
/html

Old July 11th 03, 03:43 AM
Glen F

We have been hereabouts too often... Why is it that people
think the small amount they pay in car registration somehow manages
to fund construction and maintenance of our huge road network?

Registration fees from motor vehicles make NO CONTRIBUTION WHATSOEVER
to most roads cyclists use. In most states, these fund only highways
and a very few major urban arterials. For the most part, federal and
state petrol taxes are spent similarly.

Most of our urban road network was originally built by property
developers, and paid for by the people who bought the blocks they
sold. Maintenance is done by local government and paid for out of
the rates property owners (and hence renters) pay. Why cyclists
should be deemed to be not funding this network is incomprehensible.

Old July 11th 03, 07:42 AM
A bit more than

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:54:18 +1000, "kingsley"
wrote:

Did horse & carts ever have to pay rego?
... but we still had roads right ?

If you can call them roads. Deep ruts and washaways were very common 100 years
ago.

Old July 11th 03, 02:52 PM
Bill Hamilton

Ray Peace wrote in
:

Please don't with the html, the posting, it hurts my head it does.

usenet is a plaintext forum, and a lot of people do not have readers that
parse html.

-Bill Hamilton

[...]

Attachment decoded: untitled-1.htm

Old July 11th 03, 03:54 PM
Theo Bekkers

"Andre S." wrote

they also think its a simple matter to attach standardised number

plates to every bicycle!
none of which have been designed for such.

Err, what crap is that? The bicycle I was riding in WA in the 1950's
had a standardised numberplate, as did everybody else's. Yes, we had
registration, it cost 2/6 ($0.25) per annum. Attaching the numberplate
was not a problem.

Theo