A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Why are pavements not gritted?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 2nd 19, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,973
Default Why are pavements not gritted?


Serious question.

Pedestrians pay the same Council Tax as motorists yet footways are not gritted. Why?
I dropped my car off for it's annual service/MOT on Friday and walked to the station. I walked in the road because the pavement was icy and at least 10 'law abiding' divers tried to murder me. I was not in their way but they seemed to think deliberately aiming 1.5 tonnes of metal at someone is acceptable behaviour.
Ads
  #2  
Old February 3rd 19, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,436
Default Why are pavements not gritted?

On 02/02/2019 18:15, Simon Jester wrote:

Serious question.

Pedestrians pay the same Council Tax as motorists yet footways are
not gritted. Why? I dropped my car off for it's annual service/MOT
on Friday and walked to the station. I walked in the road because
the pavement was icy and at least 10 'law abiding' divers tried to
murder me. I was not in their way but they seemed to think
deliberately aiming 1.5 tonnes of metal at someone is acceptable
behaviour.


Probably people that have just bought winter tyres and they believe
they allow them to drive normally.
  #3  
Old February 3rd 19, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,973
Default Why are pavements not gritted?

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 10:57:58 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 02/02/2019 18:15, Simon Jester wrote:

Serious question.

Pedestrians pay the same Council Tax as motorists yet footways are
not gritted. Why? I dropped my car off for it's annual service/MOT
on Friday and walked to the station. I walked in the road because
the pavement was icy and at least 10 'law abiding' divers tried to
murder me. I was not in their way but they seemed to think
deliberately aiming 1.5 tonnes of metal at someone is acceptable
behaviour.


Probably people that have just bought winter tyres and they believe
they allow them to drive normally.


That does not make any sense.
I was asking why councils do not grit footways. Pedestrians are the most important road users.
And why motorists get so outraged when they see a pedestrian in the carriageway they feel entitled to use their vehicle as a weapon.
  #4  
Old February 3rd 19, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 432
Default Why are pavements not gritted?

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 4:02:10 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 10:57:58 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 02/02/2019 18:15, Simon Jester wrote:

Serious question.

Pedestrians pay the same Council Tax as motorists yet footways are
not gritted. Why? I dropped my car off for it's annual service/MOT
on Friday and walked to the station. I walked in the road because
the pavement was icy and at least 10 'law abiding' divers tried to
murder me. I was not in their way but they seemed to think
deliberately aiming 1.5 tonnes of metal at someone is acceptable
behaviour.


Probably people that have just bought winter tyres and they believe
they allow them to drive normally.


That does not make any sense.
I was asking why councils do not grit footways. Pedestrians are the most important road users.
And why motorists get so outraged when they see a pedestrian in the carriageway they feel entitled to use their vehicle as a weapon.


We have bins of salt/grit that NLCC keep full and we can treat our own footways.
  #5  
Old February 3rd 19, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,099
Default Why are pavements not gritted?

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 10:15:08 -0800 (PST)
Simon Jester wrote:

Serious question.

Pedestrians pay the same Council Tax as motorists yet footways are
not gritted. Why?


Because pedestrians don't lose control, slide across the road and kill
people?

I dropped my car off for it's annual service/MOT on
Friday and walked to the station. I walked in the road because the
pavement was icy and at least 10 'law abiding' divers tried to murder
me. I was not in their way but they seemed to think deliberately
aiming 1.5 tonnes of metal at someone is acceptable behaviour.


As we all know there is a general feeling among motorists that the road
is just for cars and everyone else should get out of the way, be they
cyclist, pedestrian or equestrian. I'm not sure if they don't
understand the law or simply prefer to ignore it, but when it comes to
people generally I'm inclined to suspect stupidity and ignorance, with
only a sprinkling of malice.
On a brighter note, the other day I saw an Audi go right to the other
side of the road to pass a cyclist. :-)


  #6  
Old February 4th 19, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,436
Default Why are pavements not gritted?

On 03/02/2019 16:02, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 10:57:58 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 02/02/2019 18:15, Simon Jester wrote:

Serious question.

Pedestrians pay the same Council Tax as motorists yet footways
are not gritted. Why? I dropped my car off for it's annual
service/MOT on Friday and walked to the station. I walked in the
road because the pavement was icy and at least 10 'law abiding'
divers tried to murder me. I was not in their way but they seemed
to think deliberately aiming 1.5 tonnes of metal at someone is
acceptable behaviour.


Probably people that have just bought winter tyres and they
believe they allow them to drive normally.


That does not make any sense. I was asking why councils do not grit
footways. Pedestrians are the most important road users. And why
motorists get so outraged when they see a pedestrian in the
carriageway they feel entitled to use their vehicle as a weapon.


I wasn't trying to answer your question about gritting. The bit about
winter tyres was following up to your observation about some drivers.

What I was trying to say about winter tyres is that the tyre industry is
currently busy trying to flog them. They do appear to offer better
traction in snow and are probably an insurance for people in essential
services (once the jack-knifed lorries have been cleared and everybody
else has decided to stay at home). But there are likely to be a lot of
"enthusiasts", that only have 2 days a year to go out to play to justify
the outlay. If you are in the way it will annoy them.
  #7  
Old February 4th 19, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 432
Default Why are pavements not gritted?

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 7:36:19 PM UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

On a brighter note, the other day I saw an Audi go right to the other
side of the road to pass a cyclist. :-)


I do that every time I pass a cyclist.
  #8  
Old February 4th 19, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 432
Default Why are pavements not gritted?

On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 11:05:08 AM UTC, GB wrote:
On 04/02/2019 10:14, wrote:
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 7:36:19 PM UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

On a brighter note, the other day I saw an Audi go right to the other
side of the road to pass a cyclist. :-)


I do that every time I pass a cyclist.


I leave a couple of metres. Is that not what the Highway Code
recommends? It's about 50 years since I last studied it in any detail.


Two metres is fine.

QUOTE:

According to the new law to protect cyclists, the driver needs to leave a minimum distance from a cyclist when overtaking or travelling alongside the bike or they could receive a fine. This would be £100 and three points on the licence for being too close to a bike on the road.

So, how close is too close? According to experts, the recommended distance between car and cyclist is 1.5 metres. If you are caught within this distance, then you face the potential of a fine and points on your licence, to the same value as speeding. This has replaced the previous recommendation in the Highway Code which merely said that drivers should leave ‘plenty of room’ when overtaking someone on a bike.

ENDS.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/dr...st-leads-fine/
  #9  
Old February 4th 19, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,231
Default Why are pavements not gritted?

wrote:
On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 11:05:08 AM UTC, GB wrote:
On 04/02/2019 10:14,
wrote:
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 7:36:19 PM UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

On a brighter note, the other day I saw an Audi go right to the
other side of the road to pass a cyclist. :-)

I do that every time I pass a cyclist.


I leave a couple of metres. Is that not what the Highway Code
recommends? It's about 50 years since I last studied it in any
detail.


Two metres is fine.

QUOTE:

According to the new law to protect cyclists, the driver needs to
leave a minimum distance from a cyclist when overtaking or travelling
alongside the bike or they could receive a fine. This would be 100
and three points on the licence for being too close to a bike on the
road.

So, how close is too close? According to experts, the recommended
distance between car and cyclist is 1.5 metres. If you are caught
within this distance, then you face the potential of a fine and
points on your licence, to the same value as speeding. This has
replaced the previous recommendation in the Highway Code which merely
said that drivers should leave 'plenty of room' when overtaking
someone on a bike.

ENDS.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/dr...st-leads-fine/


Should not a problem as most cyclists are on the footpath anyway.


  #10  
Old February 4th 19, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 119
Default Why are pavements not gritted?

On 02/02/2019 18:15, Simon Jester wrote:

Serious question.

Pedestrians pay the same Council Tax as motorists yet footways are not gritted. Why?


Er .

They are , well around here anyway


https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incomin...ng-Gritter.jpg
This is in Stirling but a very similar system is utilised here
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cyclists on pavements Mr. Benn[_9_] UK 1 February 26th 12 04:13 PM
Parking on pavements. Doug[_3_] UK 100 August 4th 10 07:42 AM
Driving on pavements. Doug[_3_] UK 607 October 7th 09 11:01 AM
Pavements are not much protection Squashme UK 15 August 16th 09 07:46 AM
With gritted teeth... Chuck Webb Unicycling 21 August 29th 03 07:38 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.