McNerd's McProgress, or lack thereof

Old October 5th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
McNerdius[_2_]

Default McNerd's McProgress, or lack thereof

McNerd here. I've been fairly silent over the last week or so... but
i've gotten in about 3.5 practice hours. According to Klaas'
calculations, that's about 1/3 of the way "learnt." Only an estimate i
know, but i seem to be at a temporary plateau in my learning. I've read
dudewithasock's learning-journal and i seem to lack one thing he (And
others, mind you) clearly has - the ability to know what the h*ll it is
i'm doing. When i screw up, i don't know why. when i do well, i don't
know why. I know the rules:
back straight - but not too straight.
weight on the seat, not the pedals.
lean forward a bit.
pedal like crazy.
flail your arms.
etc.

I'm getting mixed results when i adjust my seat up/down etc so i'm
going to set it where i think it needs to be and leave it there a while.
I am comfortable on the uni, stationary, and i'd say 75% comfortable
while i'm moving. When i UPD, it's lack of smoothitude half the time.
That is... i get stuck in a dead zone. But WHY ?!?!? The other half of
the time, i don't know why at ALL.

The one thing i do know right now is that i am far too reliant on the
damn fence i'm practicing alongside. I've tried doing it the curb way,
just mounting up while the wheel is held stationary, and then riding off
with no support... But I've gotten nowhere without that fence. 0
pedals, 0 inches, 0 feet. I tell myself to just push off and go, but
doing that, i get to the first dead zone and UPD. i know i know weight
on the seat. ok now i'm going to stop complaining and get to the real
reason for this post.

Video. I've got a few videos on my google webspace especially for
anyone who would like to critique a newbie such as myself.

'#1' (https://sites.google.com/site/mcnerd...me/874.wmv.AVI)

This one is 2.5 mb, about 3 min. I believe my seat is slightly too
low. I UPD at about 2:08 and 3:25.

'#2' (https://sites.google.com/site/mcnerd...me/875.wmv.AVI)

This one is about 1mb, and about 1 min. Seat at same height as last
flick, and UPD at about 0:05 and 0:39.

'#3' (https://sites.google.com/site/mcnerd...me/876.wmv.AVI)

again, 1mb, 1 min. UPD @ 0:25 and 0:43. Seat was raised this time, to
where i've THOUGHT would be an optimal level, however i think these 2
UPDs are both "dead zone" UPDs, and therefore i could have the seat too
high ?

Anyhoo, i *KNOW* i suck. but WHY is my concern. I have no sense of
control yet, and that is why i'm so frustrated right now. I've randomly
gotten a few strokes in where i felt in control, but that's only
happened a handful of times. And it's never been right off the bat.
It's always been after a couple jerky-haphazard-fence-assisted feet that
i push off a bit and it works out. But mostly it doesn't, as these
videos will show. The 4 minutes or so in these videos was extracted
from about 10-15 minutes of riding.

I need to chill out about this, i know. I WANT this to happen. but i
get so frustrated while i'm practicing, because without the support of a
fence or something else i can't do ANYTHING. So i have a couple of
ideas for future practice.... add to this list if you please.

SOBER PRACTICE: What i've been doing with the fence, only about an
hour a day, not getting frustrated, because more progress will be seen
this way.
DRUNK PRACTICE: Use little, if any support and let ya drunk self
roll.
HOME PRACTICE: Squats, and the on-the-spot-pendulum-idle-thing.

I also can't get it out of my head that it'd be so much easier on a
20..... grr.

Anyway, please, feel free to verbally flog me to no end. It's what i
need.

--
McNerdius
Old October 5th 08, 06:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
StephenH

The "dead zone" problem is just a matter of practice. It doesn't mean
you're doing anything wrong.

One thing that helped me was that we have a bridge near the house with
a bikeway across it, and that bikeway has a smooth handrail, maybe 200
yards long. So I could go ride there and have a long unbroken ride
while holding on to the handrail. That let me smooth out my pedaling a
lot. Before that, I was riding up and down the hall, and I could only
go 10 or 15 feet there, so it tended to be jerky.

You mention adjusting your seat. Pick whatever seems right, and leave
it there. It's probably better to have it in a less-than-optimal
position than to keep changing it.

I would say in all of this, don't overanalyze it. Ultimately, you
aren't fast enough to work a unicycle by conscious decisions and a part
of learning is just getting your brain and body to do the right things
unconsciously.

--
StephenH
Old October 5th 08, 08:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

Stop thinking and let your body do the work. It's the same when it comes
to doing almost all tricks. Keep your seat at the same level until you
are comfortable to ride. Find a slightly sloping hill and ride down it
and let yourself go.

Hope these tips help. Don't get discouraged either. If you are getting
frustrated, call it a day.

--
Danni
Old October 5th 08, 08:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Your seat is too low even in the third video. If you like it there,
leave it there.

More importantly, get away from the fence...NOW. From now on use it
ONLY to mount. That fence is a prison holding you back from riding. Free
yourself.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old October 5th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

Frustrated? But your doing great! I learned to ride when I was young
and I don't remember those problems, but recently when I learned to
idle, it took all summer of practice, seemed impossible before I got it.
Eventually it clicks, you will tame that beast.

Yeah, some folks learn faster, I met a 12 year old unicyclist this
summer who didn't know how to idle, but did it with his second try. Like
I said it took me all summer to get that.

A thought, perhaps it would help to wear leg, wrist and head
protection, so you can be fearless.

Best of luck, were rooting for ya!

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken

I've been flying.......
Old October 5th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zogola

From reading your descriptions of your riding I thought the video would
look alot worse than it does! I don't think you are doing badly at all.
I agree that the fence is the biggest problem. I would suggest
starting from a point where you have a solid object to hold on to but
where there is nothing to hold on to after that. The curb start forces
you to learn some mounting and riding at the same time, harder I think,
not to mention that there is usually a rough spot where the gutter meets
the road.

One other thing I noticed is that the fence seems to keep you from
moving forward as quickly as you will need to go without the fence. Not
that you have to go very fast, but the fence keeps you from getting any
forward momentum. When you start practicing without the fence you will
probably have to focus on leaning just a touch further forward to get
moving. Set a little marker at the point of your longest ride, then
focus on getting past that point. That way your mind is on where you
are going and not on where you are now.

You know you're going to get it. You've obviously got the necessary
stubbornness.

Kurt

--
zogola
Old October 5th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scoope

I began learning this summer (24" Muni). The biggest progress I made
was when I left my support behind.

Lets face it you have to do it at some point so why not now! At first
I was going maybe 5-10 feet, but in a short time was making 35'-50'
rides - It felt good.

There is no magic "knowing where you are going wrong" it is all about
muscle memory and letting the body learn - you will start "feeling it"
when you get it right.

Without wanting to sound like a cliche - it does boil down to practice,
practice, practice.

The beginning is a challenge and a little tedious but when the epiphany
comes it feels great and you will not look back!

I still have a LOT to learn (finesse being at the top )

Good luck

Cheers

Simon

--
scoope
Old October 6th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
McNerdius[_2_]

scoope;1107853 wrote:
I began learning this summer (24" Muni). The biggest progress I made
was when I left my support behind.

Lets face it you have to do it at some point so why not now! At first
I was going maybe 5-10 feet, but in a short time was making 35'-50'
rides - It felt good.

There is no magic "knowing where you are going wrong" it is all about
muscle memory and letting the body learn - you will start "feeling it"
when you get it right.

Without wanting to sound like a cliche - it does boil down to practice,
practice, practice.

The beginning is a challenge and a little tedious but when the epiphany
comes it feels great and you will not look back!

I still have a LOT to learn (finesse being at the top )

Good luck

Cheers

Simon

I've found a new spot to practice, until that epiphany comes. I know
it will come, but *when* is my concern. I should be 1/2 way there by
now, and all i can say is that i'm comfortable when stationary, and
holding a support. Hah. I left my support behind tonight, and not ONCE
did i get past the dead zone. EVERY time... i'm looking 10ft ahead,
i've got my arms flailing as i see fit, i've got my back straight...
weight on the seat... every time... i lean in, go 3/4 revolution, and
down i go. i was calm and whatnot too.
I'm gonna be done now... It's just the booze talkin. I did about an
hour of practice, then i remembered
sescathiwanmanorsomethinglikethat-nick's advice about the booze and i
got a couple of mike's and downed them and did another hour's worth...
nothing. i guess i'm just a little sad, to find out i've actually made
less progress than i thought originally. I'm not going to complain like
this on a nightly basis anymore... I need to shut up and practice. So !
Till by Saturday evening, I'm going to do 8 hours practice. I will
likely not post till then, and therefore i will not bitch/complain, nor
will i share any good news, till saturday.

--
McNerdius