Trek 5200 Tire Recommendations

Old October 18th 03, 07:21 AM
David

Default Trek 5200 Tire Recommendations

Hi Group,

I'm looking for suggestions on new tires to put on my 5200. I was getting
way too many flats with the stock tires. Don't know if it's because of the
tires or just some seriously bad luck, but I was thinking changing tires
would help. I'll be doing some long distance riding in a few weeks touring
through some of the southern states. Any suggestions on some good tires to
put on for the ride? Thanks!

David

Old October 18th 03, 09:58 AM
Per Elmsäter

David wrote:
Hi Group,

I'm looking for suggestions on new tires to put on my 5200. I was
getting way too many flats with the stock tires. Don't know if it's
because of the tires or just some seriously bad luck, but I was
thinking changing tires would help. I'll be doing some long distance
riding in a few weeks touring through some of the southern states.
Any suggestions on some good tires to put on for the ride? Thanks!

David

I'm using Conti GP 3000 on mine now. Haven't had them long enough to really
say anything about quality, bu tno flats yet at least. They seem to hold up
ok which is more than I can say for the Hutchinsson Kevlar Comp. They didn't
last 500 km.
Michelin Axial Pro lasted me quite nicely but I don't think they're made
anymore?
Maybe you could look into getting a wider tire like 25 mm if you are going
on an explicit tour.

--
Perre

Old October 18th 03, 12:30 PM
JayofMontreal

I've been using Vrdestein Fortezzas since August, and have had no flats.
They are a nice tire, don't wear quickly, but give very good road adhesion.
Additionally, you can pump them up to 145psi and they ride very nicely.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
David wrote:
[...]

---

Old October 18th 03, 02:54 PM
Ronald

I've been using Vrdestein Fortezzas since August, and have had no flats.

These seem like very good puncture proof tyres. I ride Continental GrandPrix (S) myself, bit heavier but i can get them very cheap
(11.35 euros) so that makes an easy choice. For a trainingtyre cheap tyres are good flat protection in themselves because you change
them sooner, on my grouprides it's usually the guys with the expensive tyres that get the flats, because they want to get their
money out of them. Dutch bikemag Fiets did a tyre test in 2002, you can see the results at:
http://www.ultimade.nl/bikepages/ind...?page=tyretest

Old October 18th 03, 05:27 PM
Doug

Try the contis. The all-season are pretty durable. When you switch the
tires, be sure to sheck the rimstrips. You may wish to replace them. I
prefer the plastic michelin stirps to the velox strips, but either will work
if installed properly. Also, check the eyelts to see if any of the spokes
are pushing through too much.

you may also want to go a bit wider with your tires. use 700- 23 tires at a
minimum in the rear. I hgenerally use them on front and rear. In the
winter, In use a 25c tire i the rear.

Finally, inflate your tires before every ride. I like the contis because I
can even overinflate them slightly -- to about 135 lbs. The ride is a bit
harsher (which is fine with a larger tire), but they don't puncture as
easily.

Old October 18th 03, 06:25 PM
Tom Compton

David wrote:
Hi Group,

I'm looking for suggestions on new tires to put on my 5200. I was getting
way too many flats with the stock tires. Don't know if it's because of the
tires or just some seriously bad luck, but I was thinking changing tires
would help. I'll be doing some long distance riding in a few weeks touring
through some of the southern states. Any suggestions on some good tires to
put on for the ride? Thanks!

David

See what others have reported for tire mishaps at
http://www.analyticcycling.com/Tires...ysis_Page.html

Tom Compton
www.AnalyticCycling.com

Old October 18th 03, 06:52 PM
David

hey everyone,

thanks for the feedback. anyone have experience with the michelin carbons?
look pretty comparable to the conti all season tires.

ink.net...

Old October 18th 03, 09:52 PM
GaryG

"David" wrote in message

Hi Group,

I'm looking for suggestions on new tires to put on my 5200. I was getting
way too many flats with the stock tires. Don't know if it's because of the
tires or just some seriously bad luck, but I was thinking changing tires
would help. I'll be doing some long distance riding in a few weeks touring
through some of the southern states. Any suggestions on some good tires to
put on for the ride? Thanks!

David

I've used Michelins on my 5200 for the past couple of years. Axial Pros
last year, and now the newer Pro Race model. They inspire confidence,
especially on fast downhills, and they wear reasonably well for a high-end
tire. My only complaint is that they are somewhat susceptible to cuts (I've
had a couple of them have to be replaced due to cuts well before they wore
out).

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old October 18th 03, 09:58 PM
Jack19446

"David" wrote in message ...
hey everyone,

thanks for the feedback. anyone have experience with the michelin carbons?
look pretty comparable to the conti all season tires.

ink.net...

"David" wrote in message

Hi Group,

I'm looking for suggestions on new tires to put on my 5200. I was

getting
way too many flats with the stock tires. Don't know if it's because of

the
tires or just some seriously bad luck, but I was thinking changing tires
would help. I'll be doing some long distance riding in a few weeks

touring
through some of the southern states. Any suggestions on some good tires

put on for the ride? Thanks!

David

I rode 2,600 miles on the stock Bontrager tires that came with my Trek
5200, and I got no flats. Now I am using Vittorio Rubino Pro tires.
Get tires with a Kevlar belt to improve your protection from flats.
Old October 18th 03, 10:04 PM
Chris Neary

I've been very impressed with Bontrager Race Lites which came on my 5900.
I've run Continental Gran Prix's in the past and wouldn't go back. Great
cornering confidence, wear like iron, and very resistant to cuts.

I think so much of these tires that I am now using them on my tandem. I
don't have many miles on them but they seem like a winner. I've prevously
run Vrdestein Fortezzas and Michlin Race Pro's, but the Bontragers are as
good or better.

When my wife uses up her stock of 650C Conti's I'll convert her over too.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh