An apology and a gripe

Old June 24th 11, 04:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default An apology and a gripe

Firstly, the apology but let me set the scene if I may.

At night, I ride with a fixed flashing tail light PLUS another flashing
tail light which I have taped onto a bit of chain which, in turn, is
clipped onto the right hand side of my back pack. This second light
tends to bounce around and swing about as I am cycling.

I have come to realise that if I stand up on my pedals to apply more
power, say going uphill, that second light bobs like crazy and
occassionally, I can see a flash of light on the concaved part of my
spectacle lens, ie the back of the lens. It doesn't happen all the time
but if my head is at the "right angle" and I am pushing hard enough and
whatever other conditions are right, that sudden flash of light is
****ing annoying!!

So, to all other road users following me, I would like to apologise for
that second light. I'll do something about it as soon as I can think of
something better and cheaper. Until then ....

Now, the gripe.

Coming back tonight, I was riding up the little hill (300-400 metres?)
which leads to the last bit of road to my place.

So here I am pushing hard uphill, in the middle of the kerbside lane and
just as I ran out of puff and sat back down in my seat, I looked up and
about 20 metres in front of me was a cop car, in the kerbside lane, and
a coupla coppers who seem to have been playing with a radar gun.

Of cos, I gave the appropriate hand signals to pass them and as I rode
past, the younger copper says to me, "Slow down". I was going to stop
the bike and go back and give him what for, but thought the better of it.

I mean, I could not be going more than 25kph max and in fact I doubt if
I made 20kph up that incline (I am slightly tired tonite for no apparent
reason) and some smart arse tells me to slow down.

I just threw back over my shoulder my own smart arse comment,"Slow down,
he says" accompanied by a derisive laugh, and got the hell out of there
as fast as I could

In the copper's defence, maybe he was just trying to cheer me up as he
could see I was pretty buggered after pushing hard uphill.

Another gripe PeterG UK 1 September 15th 10 08:56 AM
tire sizing gripe Mark[_16_] Techniques 50 September 27th 09 05:53 PM
Tool gripe/ Murphy's corollary? Patrick Lamb General 8 September 12th 06 03:15 PM
My gripe against McBike Callistus Valerius Techniques 5 October 11th 05 12:12 AM
My Shimano gripe Mojo Deluxe Mountain Biking 30 December 16th 03 01:05 PM