Cyclist fighting for his life after van crash - driver arrested

Old June 19th 20, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

Default Cyclist fighting for his life after van crash - driver arrested

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 00:31:35 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 18/06/2020 23:18, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 23:07:49 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/06/2020 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:22:28 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/06/2020 20:27, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 20:24:40 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/06/2020 17:25, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 17:06:14 +0100, TMS320
On 18/06/2020 12:20, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 08:48:36 +0100, TMS320
On 17/06/2020 21:34, Commander Kinsey wrote:

[1] I call them rules because a law is something that
cannot be broken - like the law of gravity. What the
government makes are rules, you're not supposed to break
them, but you certainly can.

When I refer to laws of humans I use a small 'l'. When they
are Laws of Physics, I use a capital 'L'.

That would work if everyone followed that convention.

It doesn't matter. It's just to show my priorities.

It has no effect since nobody else would notice.

It doesn't matter. It's what I do.

Then you're an idiot.

Oh well, for someone that isn't bothered with petty rules, there's no
point of botheringwithpunctuationandspeling

Strange, I read that perfectly easily.

Of course. But you missed the point.

I see your point and realise it's stupid.
You might as well do something daft like flash your
headlights to warn of your presence. That would work if
everyone did it, but since most people use it to let others
out, you will cause a collision. "You said to go first!" "I
meant look out!"

Using upper and lower case letters doesn't cause traffic
collisions.

Are you telling me you don't use your headlights the way the
highway code recommends? I had you down as an OCD rule follower
like Simon.

I haven't mentioned anything about using headlights.

I asked you a question.

You asked "are you telling me...? I hadn't told you anything.

Get rid of that OCD, then you can communicate with the rest of us.

I expect there is a label for your condition.

It's not a mental one.

I'm sure you like to think so.

I know so. But yours in all in your head. Basically you're just thick.

I don't flash headlights to attempt to indicate "after you", if that's
what
you're angling for. If in free flow conditions, when normal give way
protocol is not observed it is invariably time wasting for both parties
- flash or not: better to just get out of the way. In a slow moving
queue people don't need to be flashed when a gap is created for them.

Flashing makes it quicker, and makes the other person sure.

We have to disagree.

Then you're a fool. And totally unobservant to not notice that everyone
else does it this way.

Fortunately most drivers don't flash so you're well off the mark about
"everybody".

A lot of drivers don't let people out, but those that are polite enough to do so usually flash.

You're certainly obsessed about flashing and hooting. You obviously have
issues.

No, I'm just annoyed that you think it's wrong.

And of course for the roads to be safe, it's
best we all follow the same rules.

Or are you going to say we should be
driving on the right and all those on the left are wrong?

I wasn't going to say anything.

Well you seem to like doing things differently to the majority.

You could
have just stalled or be slow in noticing the traffic is moving. Best
not to move into a gap if it might close. The lights mean they are
letting you out and they won't ram you. And on a motorway onramp,
they're very useful, as you don't have to judge the speed of the other
car, a flash means they've made room for you.

Old June 20th 20, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

wrote:
On 18/06/2020 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:22:28 +0100, TMS320

I don't flash headlights to attempt to indicate "after
you", if that's what you're angling for. If in free flow
conditions, when normal give way protocol is not observed
it is invariably time wasting for both parties - flash or
not: better to just get out of the way. In a slow moving
queue people don't need to be flashed when a gap is created
for them.

Flashing makes it quicker, and makes the other person sure.

We have to disagree.

Then you're a fool. And totally unobservant to not notice that
everyone else does it this way.

Fortunately most drivers don't flash so you're well off the mark
about "everybody".

A lot of drivers don't let people out, but those that are polite
enough to do so usually flash.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing north of Carlisle. I haven't been in that
part of the world for some years.

Most people are polite enough to allow merging into or across a slow
moving queue and they do it without a song and dance. Someone giving way
unexpectedly when not required by road layout or traffic is a time
waster, especially when there is a big gap behind them.

You're certainly obsessed about flashing and hooting. You obviously
have issues.

No, I'm just annoyed that you think it's wrong.

I didn't say it was wrong. I said it serves no purpose.

And of course for the roads to be safe, it's best we all follow
the same rules.

Or are you going to say we should be driving on the right and all
those on the left are wrong?

I wasn't going to say anything.

Well you seem to like doing things differently to the majority.

Well, driving on the right would be a tad too different. A strange idea.

Old June 20th 20, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

wrote:
[...]

Are you referring to the flashing or the not often letting out?

Most people are polite enough to allow merging into or across a slow
moving queue and they do it without a song and dance. Someone giving way
unexpectedly when not required by road layout or traffic is a time
waster, especially when there is a big gap behind them.

Yes it happens more when the queue is slower, could be they're too incompetant to do it faster, or could be they are more likely to be seen not doing it when they're dawdling along.

You're certainly obsessed about flashing and hooting. You obviously
have issues.

No, I'm just annoyed that you think it's wrong.

I didn't say it was wrong. I said it serves no purpose.

It tells the other driver they can go, instead of them having to assume.

And of course for the roads to be safe, it's best we all follow
the same rules.

Or are you going to say we should be driving on the right and all
those on the left are wrong?

I wasn't going to say anything.

Well you seem to like doing things differently to the majority.

Well, driving on the right would be a tad too different. A strange idea.

It's also silly to flash for a warning, then have someone pull into you because they thought you were letting them out.

I almost collided with my friend once, he'd just passed his test and I'd had mine for a year. He flashed to say hello, so I waved to thank him and pulled in front of him. His emergency stop was adequate. That evening after work he told me I scared the **** out of him.
Old June 20th 20, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

wrote:
On 18/06/2020 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Flashing makes it quicker, and makes the other person sure.

We have to disagree.

Then you're a fool. And totally unobservant to not notice that
everyone else does it this way.
Fortunately most drivers don't flash so you're well off the mark
about "everybody".

A lot of drivers don't let people out, but those that are polite
enough to do so usually flash.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing north of Carlisle. I haven't been in that
part of the world for some years.

Are you referring to the flashing or the not often letting out?

Flashing.

I almost collided with my friend once, he'd just passed his test and I'd
had mine for a year. He flashed to say hello, so I waved to thank him
and pulled in front of him.* His emergency stop was adequate.* That
evening after work he told me I scared the **** out of him.

So it also means "hello". Brilliant. Pity you didn't crash into each other.
Old June 20th 20, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

wrote:
On 18/06/2020 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Flashing makes it quicker, and makes the other person sure.

We have to disagree.

Then you're a fool. And totally unobservant to not notice that
everyone else does it this way.
Fortunately most drivers don't flash so you're well off the mark
about "everybody".

A lot of drivers don't let people out, but those that are polite
enough to do so usually flash.

Perhaps it's a cultural thing north of Carlisle. I haven't been in that
part of the world for some years.

Are you referring to the flashing or the not often letting out?

Flashing.

I see it all over Scotland, England, Wales, and France.

I almost collided with my friend once, he'd just passed his test and I'd
had mine for a year. He flashed to say hello, so I waved to thank him
and pulled in front of him. His emergency stop was adequate. That
evening after work he told me I scared the **** out of him.

So it also means "hello". Brilliant. Pity you didn't crash into each other.

It's called being civil. It's also used to indicate you like her tits.