Live Tour Coverage - Tonight at 11.25pm

Old July 22nd 04, 04:38 AM
byron27

Default Live Tour Coverage - Tonight at 11.25pm

rickster Wrote:
byron27 wrote in message
taken by itself its not so bad (so bad, relative, to say, getting

your
fingernails pulled out with electric pliers). The Alpe is a
heartbreaker because it is usually the last climb of a stage, after
climbing the galabier and the madeleine. That said, the first two
switchbacks are nasty, nasty but its not too bad after that. The
switchbacks are great to get a rest for a couple of secs and because

it
is back and forth up the mountain the visual impact is not so
terrifying.I was quite surprised. I had more trouble getting up to
chamrousse just outside of grenoble (used for the ITT in 2001) than

the
alpe.

Ventoux is like that. No switchbacks and a clear view to the
top....great .

Anyone have any times for their ride up the alpe?
I did 51 minutes in 2001, and it was the best fun ive had for ages.

So
was riding back down!!

Actually scrath what I just posted. I'd cancel the post but I use
crappy Google and once posted, is gone.

Still 51 min is very impressive, you probabably timed it from the
bottom ? Where as the tour stage started from a bit further back ?

Out of curisoiyt, how much time did you spend out of the saddle ?

i timed it from the start of the climb, not from the base town where
the TT started. Thats another couple of minutes right there. I think
the start was 1.5km from the base of the climb. I guess i had a lot of
motivation on the day, as it was the day before the tour came up the
climb and it was already packed, and i mean absolutely packed, with
people (and heaps of drunken dutchies on the sixth switchback) who were
cheering everyone climbing and there was always someone up ahead you
could aim for, and then another to aim for, etc.

Time spent out of the saddle?, all of the first 3-4 switchbacks, and
the majority of the rest of the climb, though it does flatten out a
little in the middle switchbacks when you go through the small town on
the climb and closer to the top where you can sit down and crank it
out. The switchbacks were great to sit down for a few seconds and take
the pressure off your legs.

It was also the first day i had the panniers off my bike. Maybe all the
strength training with an extra 30kgs on the bike was beneficial!

--
byron27

Old July 22nd 04, 12:48 PM
rickster

byron27 wrote in message ...
rickster Wrote:

[snip]to aim for, etc.

Time spent out of the saddle?, all of the first 3-4 switchbacks, and
the majority of the rest of the climb, though it does flatten out a
little in the middle switchbacks when you go through the small town on
the climb and closer to the top where you can sit down and crank it
out. The switchbacks were great to sit down for a few seconds and take
the pressure off your legs.

It was also the first day i had the panniers off my bike. Maybe all the
strength training with an extra 30kgs on the bike was beneficial!

I'm pretty enviuos, it's gotta be one of those must do before I die things...
Old July 23rd 04, 12:34 AM
stu

more to the point, how much is 'dinkyDi' gonna cost???

ok you lost me here, what is this "dinkyDi"?
I am a MCC member (got 2 actually :-)

you mean a ladies ticket holder?
but only go there at half
time/lunch to get drinks and food as the queues are non-existant and
prices are lower than amongst the 'unwashed' Bays

--
flyingdutch

Old July 23rd 04, 12:38 AM
flyingdutch

rickster Wrote:
I'm pretty enviuos, it's gotta be one of those must do before I die
things...

why not combine the 2 and go out on a high note?

--
flyingdutch

Old July 23rd 04, 04:48 AM
byron27

flyingdutch Wrote:
more to the point, how much is 'dinkyDi' gonna cost???

I am a MCC member (got 2 actually :-) but only go there at half
time/lunch to get drinks and food as the queues are non-existant and
prices are lower than amongst the 'unwashed' Bays

flying, i have a membership and really i cant see the point of having
it (especially seeing as i live in perth). I thought it guaranteed me a
spot at the grand final but apparently it doesn't. Whats the point of
having it then??

--
byron27

Old July 23rd 04, 10:56 AM
stu

"byron27" wrote in message

flyingdutch Wrote:
more to the point, how much is 'dinkyDi' gonna cost???

I am a MCC member (got 2 actually :-) but only go there at half
time/lunch to get drinks and food as the queues are non-existant and
prices are lower than amongst the 'unwashed' Bays

flying, i have a membership and really i cant see the point of having
it (especially seeing as i live in perth). I thought it guaranteed me a
spot at the grand final but apparently it doesn't. Whats the point of
having it then??

that would make you an interstate member. if so, then you dont get a seat,
but you dont have to pay as much either.(of course I could be wrong)