Disc Brake Mounting Problem

Old April 28th 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Big Jim

Default Disc Brake Mounting Problem

Last fall I purchased a Schwinn Sierra GSD frameset from Nashbar. I am
building a comfort/town bike for myself with spare parts. I tried to
mount avid disc bakes but the barrel adjuster is directly over the
chain stay making cable routing appear impossible. The caliper
mounts are inside the rear triangle (dont know name for this mounting
system). Is there an adapter to make this work or are there disc
calipers with more offset to clear the chainstays. The bike came with
F&R discs so they must mount somehow. Thanks in advance
Old April 29th 12, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 15:59:42 -0700 (PDT), Big Jim
wrote:

Last fall I purchased a Schwinn Sierra GSD frameset from Nashbar. I am
building a comfort/town bike for myself with spare parts. I tried to
mount avid disc bakes but the barrel adjuster is directly over the
chain stay making cable routing appear impossible. The caliper
mounts are inside the rear triangle (dont know name for this mounting
system). Is there an adapter to make this work or are there disc
calipers with more offset to clear the chainstays. The bike came with
F&R discs so they must mount somehow. Thanks in advance

I don't know whether it will help but Park tools has an article about
Avid brakes at
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...isc-adjustment

Might be of interest.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old April 29th 12, 10:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 29-4-2012 0:59, Big Jim schreef:
Last fall I purchased a Schwinn Sierra GSD frameset from Nashbar. I am
building a comfort/town bike for myself with spare parts. I tried to
mount avid disc bakes but the barrel adjuster is directly over the
chain stay making cable routing appear impossible. The caliper
mounts are inside the rear triangle (dont know name for this mounting
system). Is there an adapter to make this work or are there disc
calipers with more offset to clear the chainstays. The bike came with
F&R discs so they must mount somehow. Thanks in advance

Maybe this gives you an idea:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101076538433373858645/RoseCrossfiets?authkey=Gv1sRgCLGIioLkxf7uVg#573674 5566473572002

Lou

Disc brake problem Williams Techniques 4 August 22nd 09 12:35 PM
Frame/wheel flex and disc brake problem christophe Mountain Biking 1 January 31st 04 11:52 AM
Frame/wheel flex and disc brake problem christophe Mountain Biking 0 January 27th 04 08:13 AM
Frame/wheel flex and disc brake problem Caspar Lugtmeier & Eva Skotarczak Mountain Biking 5 November 12th 03 09:36 AM
Disc brake problem Just zis Guy, you know? UK 15 October 16th 03 10:33 AM