Mountain Bikers Try to Censor Criticism of Mountain Biking

Old April 13th 10, 04:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Mountain Bikers Try to Censor Criticism of Mountain Biking

On Apr 13, 3:12*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

[...]

I've said it once and again...
You are far and away the most virulent provocateur for
people to go out and commit environmental damage on
mountain bikes. Is that what you want? If so, keep up
the good work. It's not what I want and so the reason
I've been spending time with your arguments. I hope
my time isn't wasted, though from reading what you've
posted and what's on your website, I fairly sure it is
wasted.

VtSkier, Mr.Vandeman is the foremost expert on mountain biking in the world.
You would be well advised to peruse all of his posts to gain a glimmer of
his intelligence. Mountain biking is an abomination. There is no
justification for it whatsoever. God Damn it all the way to Hell and back,
if you want to experience nature and wilderness, then hike it. Confine your
mountain biking to roads.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

VtSkier flunked out of mountain biking school. Couldn't pass even
their submoronal intelligence screening.
Old April 13th 10, 06:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
VtSkier[_2_]

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Apr 13, 3:12 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

Since mikey is incapable of engaging in reasonable
discussion without the use of ad-hominem insults,
as evidenced by the paragraph immediately above,
he shows his vast lack of knowledge of human response
and interaction which is what I've been trying to
impress on him.

It makes no difference how much he (or you) know
about mountain biking if neither one of you can carry
on a reasonable conversation without insulting people
which causes them to do exactly the opposite of what
you desire of them.

I ride a bike, which one could call a mountain bike,
into the back country around here. I ride on roads,
including some logging roads. I do this because I
simply cannot hike because my feet give out too soon.
One of my feet has had every bone across it broken.
It give way to pain fairly soon after beginning to
walk any distance. Further, I can't buy 'stock' hiking
boots. I have had some for a while now which are
'custom' and make it so I can enjoy the outdoors.

The two of you can go to hell.
goodbye!
Old April 13th 10, 08:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bruce Jensen

On Apr 13, 3:12*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

Edward, I generally agree with you and Mike on this (except the first
line, which is so far out that even a child would not buy it). What I
(and everybody else I know) disagree with is his horrid authoritarian
attitude. I would never ride my bike on anything but paved ways and
wide dirt roads, never on trails or pathways or (God forbid)
untrammeled terrain, all of which I consider sacred ground. However,
Mike's attitude is so arrogant and virulent that I might consider it
just to rub it in his face, and risk the wrath of Hell. He reminds me
of Dubya, another one cut from the same wretched cloth, and another
one who arrogantly assumes he is absolutely right all the time when it
is only his opinion and the support from "yes-men" that impels him.

And Edward, you should be able to discern that at his core, Mike wants
to keep humans out of as much nature and wilderness as he can; he is
the ultimate lock-it-up advocate. His signature line even advocates
this incredibly extreme position. So much for getting out and hiking,
eh?

Mike is poisonous, and a credit neither to the environmental/animal
movement nor to his Ph.D. If I were his Uninversity, I would not
point to him as an esteemed alumnus.

Bruce Jensen
Old April 14th 10, 04:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Apr 13, 12:13*pm, Bruce Jensen wrote:
On Apr 13, 3:12*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"VtSkier" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

No, I don't. I'm right because the facts back me up. That's not
arrogance, just honesty. You should try it sometime.

If you think I'm not right about something, Quote me, and lay out your
evidence like a man. Otherwise, stop crying "Wolf!" Of course, if yiou
could, you would have done so long ago. You just have diarrea of the
mouth.

when it
is only his opinion and the support from "yes-men" that impels him.

And Edward, you should be able to discern that at his core, Mike wants
to keep humans out of as much nature and wilderness as he can; he is
the ultimate lock-it-up advocate. *His signature line even advocates
this incredibly extreme position. So much for getting out and hiking,
eh?

Mike is poisonous, and a credit neither to the environmental/animal
movement nor to his Ph.D. *If I were his Uninversity, I would not
point to him as an esteemed alumnus.

Bruce Jensen- Hide quoted text -

Old April 14th 10, 05:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Apr 13, 12:13*pm, Bruce Jensen wrote:
On Apr 13, 3:12*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"VtSkier" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

I'm having lunch with my Ph.D. professor (the head of my doctoral
committee) soon. He says I am way ahead of my time. That's probably
why you can't understand me.
Old April 15th 10, 03:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Apr 13, 3:12 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

I don't understand why you are piling on since you do not ride your bike on
hiking trails. Mr. Vandeman is wholly justified to treat idiots like idiots.
Further, an ad hominem insult is best responded to by another ad hominen
insult. Poor Mr. Vandeman takes literally thousands of insults from the
Great Unwashed. It doesn't pay to be a gentleman when you are dealing with
ruffians.

It makes no difference how much he (or you) know
about mountain biking if neither one of you can carry
on a reasonable conversation without insulting people
which causes them to do exactly the opposite of what
you desire of them.

We just don't want mountain bikes on hiking trails. What is there to know or
discuss?

I ride a bike, which one could call a mountain bike,
into the back country around here. I ride on roads,
including some logging roads. I do this because I
simply cannot hike because my feet give out too soon.
One of my feet has had every bone across it broken.
It give way to pain fairly soon after beginning to
walk any distance. Further, I can't buy 'stock' hiking
boots. I have had some for a while now which are
'custom' and make it so I can enjoy the outdoors.

The two of you can go to hell.
goodbye!

"I don't understand why you are piling on since you do not ride your bike on
hiking trails." - Ed Dolan

Old April 15th 10, 03:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bruce Jensen" wrote in message
On Apr 13, 3:12 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

Mr. Vandeman is constantly at odds with most who post to these newsgroups.
He is constantly being insulted and abused. However, in the world of
knowledgeable men and women, it is another story entirely. He is listened to
with respect and admiration. That is because he is an expert in his field.

By the way, you will soon learn that Bush was humble as pie compared to
Obama.

And Edward, you should be able to discern that at his core, Mike wants

to keep humans out of as much nature and wilderness as he can; he is
the ultimate lock-it-up advocate. His signature line even advocates
this incredibly extreme position. So much for getting out and hiking,
eh?

It is easy to sperate out what is reasonable from what is unreasonable. Mr.
Vandeman is right as rain to want to keep mountain bikes off of hiking
trails. You are being distracted by attitudes and feelings, both his and
yours.

Mike is poisonous, and a credit neither to the environmental/animal

movement nor to his Ph.D. If I were his Uninversity, I would not
point to him as an esteemed alumnus.

All prophets take extreme positions. It is up to the rest of us to take what
is good and right and to discard the rest.

The core issue for me is the question of mountain bikes on hiking trails.
The world is basically going to Hell and in another few generations there
will not be any natural areas or wildernesses left in the world. It will all
have become urbanized with suburbia stretching as far as the eye can see.

Old April 15th 10, 09:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"VtSkier" wrote in message
[...]

I ride a bike, which one could call a mountain bike,
into the back country around here. I ride on roads,
including some logging roads. I do this because I
simply cannot hike because my feet give out too soon.
One of my feet has had every bone across it broken.
It give way to pain fairly soon after beginning to
walk any distance. Further, I can't buy 'stock' hiking
boots. I have had some for a while now which are
'custom' and make it so I can enjoy the outdoors.

You really know how to lay me low. I am not a strong person myself and so I
can totally sympathize with you. I want you to enjoy the outdoors as best
you can.

It seems you do not ride on hiking trials and that is all that I am
concerned about. I think any and all kinds of roads (including logging
roads) are ideal for mountain biking and I like to ride them myself.

Hang in there and get as much enjoyment as you can. We shall all be dead and
moldering in a grave soon enough.

Best Regards,

Old April 15th 10, 09:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bob Berger[_2_]

In article ,
Mike Vandeman says...

On Apr 13, 12:13=A0pm, Bruce Jensen wrote:
On Apr 13, 3:12=A0am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"VtSkier" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

line, which is so far out that even a child would not buy it). =A0What I
(and everybody else I know) disagree with is his horrid authoritarian
attitude. =A0I would never ride my bike on anything but paved ways and
wide dirt roads, never on trails or pathways or (God forbid)
untrammeled terrain, all of which I consider sacred ground. =A0However,
Mike's attitude is so arrogant and virulent that I might consider it
just to rub it in his face, and risk the wrath of Hell. =A0He reminds me
of Dubya, another one cut from the same wretched cloth, and another
one who arrogantly assumes he is absolutely right all the time when it
is only his opinion and the support from "yes-men" that impels him.

And Edward, you should be able to discern that at his core, Mike wants
to keep humans out of as much nature and wilderness as he can; he is
the ultimate lock-it-up advocate. =A0His signature line even advocates
this incredibly extreme position. So much for getting out and hiking,
eh?

Mike is poisonous, and a credit neither to the environmental/animal
movement nor to his Ph.D. =A0If I were his Uninversity, I would not
point to him as an esteemed alumnus.

I'm having lunch with my Ph.D. professor (the head of my doctoral
committee) soon. He says I am way ahead of my time.

Premature aging?

That's probably why you can't understand me.