Resting heart rate, be damned

Old April 4th 04, 12:10 PM
Andrew Price

Default Resting heart rate, be damned

It is an article of faith among those that derive guidance from hr monitors
that the lower the hr, (usually measured on waking) the greater the level of
aerobic fitness.

I have discovered 2 ways of achieving a lower heart rate without training -

1. Be really, really tired; watch something on tv that bores you witless,
get into that state where its too much effort to turn the wretched thing off
or go to bed, measure hr while lying on the couch - hey presto, about 3 to 5
bpm lower than at waking. (I would be interested to see an EEG display at
the same time - I suspect near flat lining would occur.

2. Do the meditative things - sit very still, relax deeply, try and drive
all conscious thought away and let the tension flow out (Claire - help me
here!) - also good for dropping a few beats without additional training.

Now, if there was a way of fooling those *&!!## scales .....

best, Andrew

Old April 4th 04, 04:41 PM
Mike Kruger

"Andrew Price" wrote in message
I have discovered 2 ways of achieving a lower heart rate without

training -
2. Do the meditative things - sit very still, relax deeply, try and drive
all conscious thought away and let the tension flow out (Claire - help me
here!) - also good for dropping a few beats without additional training.

Meditation is a different form of training.

Not aerobic training, but training nonetheless.

Old April 4th 04, 05:46 PM
David Reuteler

Andrew Price wrote:
Now, if there was a way of fooling those *&!!## scales .....

zero them with 50 pound weights. or alternately weigh yourself after dinner
and again the next morning post-wc pre-h20 for instant weight loss.
--
david reuteler

Old April 4th 04, 07:14 PM
Per Elmsäter

Andrew Price wrote:
I have discovered 2 ways of achieving a lower heart rate without
training -

No you haven't. You've just discovered two ways of measuring your true HRmin
or at least close to it.
If you start training you'll see in a while that your HRmin will be lower in
those same two instances.

--
Perre

Old April 4th 04, 07:19 PM
Per Elmsäter

Dave wrote:
Andrew Price wrote:

I have discovered 2 ways of achieving a lower heart rate without
training -

2. Do the meditative things - sit very still, relax deeply, try and
drive all conscious thought away and let the tension flow out
(Claire - help me here!) - also good for dropping a few beats
without additional training.

Now, if there was a way of fooling those *&!!## scales .....

With meditation, you should be able to achieve a state of levitation
and thus a zero weight. :-)

-=Dave=-

Shhh......... I was gonna blow everybody away by doing just that. Now I have
to pull back my entry to the TdF.

--
Perre

Old April 4th 04, 08:51 PM
David Reuteler

Dave wrote:
With meditation, you should be able to achieve a state of levitation
and thus a zero weight. :-)

with death he can attain a resting heart rate of zero.
--
david reuteler

Old April 4th 04, 09:23 PM
Denver C. Fox

With meditation, you should be able to achieve a state of levitation
and thus a zero weight. :-)

with death he can attain a resting heart rate of zero.

And with meditation levitation combined with death, you get a zero on both
accounts!

Just can't quite figure out how to pull that one off??

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Old April 5th 04, 05:55 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Andrew Price" wrote:

It is an article of faith among those that derive guidance from hr monitors
that the lower the hr, (usually measured on waking) the greater the level of
aerobic fitness.

I have discovered 2 ways of achieving a lower heart rate without training -

1. Be really, really tired;

2. Do the meditative things
Now, if there was a way of fooling those *&!!## scales .....

As another poster mentioned, these just get you closer to measuring your
true rest rate. But at any rate, low rest heart rates are the circus
sideshow of aerobic training. It's fun to brag about (mine is low 50s),
but not especially meaningful on its own

The value of tracking your rest HR is that a higher-than-usual rHR is a
strong indicator you've been overtraining. So if your heart rate just
won't come down, it's time to give the bike a rest for a few days, or
just do really easy rides.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

calories burned - HRM vs. Web sites?? Bob General 24 February 3rd 06 07:04 PM
Weather be damned, I _CAN_ ride! Rick Onanian General 32 February 15th 04 09:07 PM
Heart Rate Limits louncov General 2 August 13th 03 02:52 PM
Heart rate recovery Jack General 7 July 15th 03 01:35 PM