Wellington altitude, trying to find the height of a local climb

Old November 16th 06, 11:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Walrus

Default Wellington altitude, trying to find the height of a local climb

I'm trying to find out the height of a small part of Wellington. I need
to find the altitude of the suburb of Karori. Any ideas on how to find
altitude information for this sort of thing?

--
Walrus

Old November 16th 06, 11:43 PM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama

Walrus Wrote:
I'm trying to find out the height of a small part of Wellington. I need
to find the altitude of the suburb of Karori. Any ideas on how to find
altitude information for this sort of thing?

I've found Google Earth to be spot on.

--
gplama

Old November 16th 06, 11:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Walrus

gplama Wrote:
I've found Google Earth to be spot on.I thought about using it, but does it display elevation when it's not a

mountain...can you display elevation for any location?

--
Walrus

Old November 16th 06, 11:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama

Walrus Wrote:
I thought about using it, but does it display elevation when it's not a
mountain...can you display elevation for any location?

Sure does - "Pointer" line at the bottom of the screen 'elev' is what
you are after.

--
gplama

Old November 16th 06, 11:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Walrus

gplama Wrote:
Sure does - "Pointer" line at the bottom of the screen 'elev' is what
you are after.Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

--
Walrus

Old November 17th 06, 12:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Walrus wrote:
gplama Wrote:
I've found Google Earth to be spot on.I thought about using it, but
does it display elevation when it's not a

mountain...can you display elevation for any location?

Yup, says my house is at 150 metres.

Theo

Old November 17th 06, 01:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
scotty72

Theo Bekkers Wrote:
Walrus wrote:
gplama Wrote:
I've found Google Earth to be spot on.I thought about using it, but
does it display elevation when it's not a

mountain...can you display elevation for any location?

Yup, says my house is at 150 metres.

TheoIt also reports that parts of Sydney Harbour are at about 30m above sea

level.

So take Google's elevation with a hint of mistrust.

SCotty

--
scotty72

Old November 17th 06, 07:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

scotty72 Wrote:
It also reports that parts of Sydney Harbour are at about 30m above sea
level.

You seen "The Last Wave"?

--
cfsmtb

Old November 17th 06, 08:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

scotty72 wrote:
Theo Bekkers Wrote:
Walrus wrote:
gplama Wrote:
I've found Google Earth to be spot on.I thought about using it, but
does it display elevation when it's not a
mountain...can you display elevation for any location?

Yup, says my house is at 150 metres.

TheoIt also reports that parts of Sydney Harbour are at about 30m above sea

level.

So take Google's elevation with a hint of mistrust.

Parts with names like "Cockatoo Island" by any chance? ;-)

BTH