High quality Single Speed Bicycle on a budget?

Old March 24th 04, 06:39 PM
supabonbon

Default High quality Single Speed Bicycle on a budget?

(Lobo Tommy) wrote in message om...
I am looking to be a bit more frugal and understand some compromises
will have to be made; but I am looking for the highest quality Single
Speed Mountain/Hybrid bicycle that I can afford for under $500. $500
is really my absolute ceiling.

First, a little about me. I am 30 years old, 5'11, and weight 280
lbs. I am looking to get some additional exercise (I already do
aerobics and weight training with dumb bells). I also enjoy single
speed bicycles more than multi geared bikes for simplicity sake. I
also know jack about Bicycles so I want one that is going to be as
durable as possible and won't require much maintenance at all.

I will be using this bicycle around the neighborhood and on bike
trails and parks. The longest distance I will probably ride on this
bike is 40 miles. Even that is a stretch.

I understand the bicycle will be heavier than something that will run
$1,000 and I will just have to deal with it because I don't have a
$1,000. Again my ceiling is $500.

If anyone can recommend the absolute best off the shelf single speed
bicycle for under $500 it would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Please don't email my yahoo account. It's currently getting
blasted with junk mail. Thanks so much )

Ask this guy where he got his:
http://www.soccerforpeace.com/images/bigwheel.jpg

/s
Old March 25th 04, 06:32 PM
Steven Scharf

"Lobo Tommy" wrote in message m...
I am looking to be a bit more frugal and understand some compromises
will have to be made; but I am looking for the highest quality Single
Speed Mountain/Hybrid bicycle that I can afford for under $500. $500
is really my absolute ceiling.

Probably the BUB (Berkeley Universal Bicycle) is the best choice for
you. http://momovelo.com/bub.html

Any of the three models will be fine, depending on the stuff you're
looking for. You can order it as a single speed, three speed, or 21
speed.

A Flying Pigeon is another option, but these are rather heavy, and
most people get them only for commuting due to the fenders and
chainguard.

http://momovelo.com/feige.html

I'd actually highly recommend the Breezer Citizen ($500) but it has a
three speed internal hub. This is still very simple, and you could
always just not change gears.

http://store.yahoo.com/momovelo/breezercitizen.html

I have no association with Momovelo, but they are the type of place
that carries the kind of thing you are looking for.

The problem you have is that single speed bicycles are specialty
bikes, and cost more than 18-27 speed bicycles of equivalent quality.
To save money and get a higher end bicycle, you'd be better off buying
a normal mountain/hybrid 21 speed bicycle, and removing both
derailleurs and shortening the chain to go on the chainwheel and cog
you desire (i.e. middle rear, big front). Then if you later decide
that you want some gears you can put the derailleurs back on, even
just the rear derailleur. Or if you still want a single speed but with
a different gear, you can add or remove some chain links to use a
different gear. You'll achieve the simplicity you desire while
retaining some flexibility.
Old March 26th 04, 10:04 AM
Sotos

Iro Highlander on sale for $499

http://www.irocycle.com/fixedgearand...einc/id82.html

Old March 26th 04, 05:02 PM
supabonbon

(Steven Scharf) wrote in message om...
"Lobo Tommy" wrote in message m...
I am looking to be a bit more frugal and understand some compromises
will have to be made; but I am looking for the highest quality Single
Speed Mountain/Hybrid bicycle that I can afford for under $500. $500
is really my absolute ceiling.

Probably the BUB (Berkeley Universal Bicycle) is the best choice for
you.
http://momovelo.com/bub.html

Any of the three models will be fine, depending on the stuff you're
looking for. You can order it as a single speed, three speed, or 21
speed.

A Flying Pigeon is another option, but these are rather heavy, and
most people get them only for commuting due to the fenders and
chainguard.

http://momovelo.com/feige.html

snip

Wow! Nice! Good to see that the Raleigh frame is still in production.
I've got an old Rudge that's very similar. The rod brakes are comical.

/s
Old March 27th 04, 02:38 AM
Chalo

Kenny Lee wrote:

You can get really nice bikes for $500 and below. I don't know what you
have for "single speed", but if you must why not get a multi speed bike
and never change gears?

Because if you don't need or want the different gear ratios, having
them just dramatically increases weight, mechanical friction,
breakdowns, chain droppage, and wear. Plus, all that gear-changing
paraphernalia is plain ugly.

The money you _don't_ spend on a derailleur drivetrain should buy
upgrades in other components, at any given price point.

Chalo Colina
Old March 27th 04, 02:57 AM
Chalo

This is a nice stylish aluminum-framed bike from a worthy maker:
http://vandesselsports.com/b_straightUp.shtml

It's got a coaster brake! You can't get a simpler bike than that
unless it's a fixed-gear track bike.

You can buy direct from Van Dessel for $399, but the 7-speed internal
gear version (also with coaster brake) often sells on eBay for about
$300 even. At that price, you could opt to live with the internal
gears (basically maintenance-free), or else sell the rear wheel for
$100 or more on eBay. You could have a local shop build you a
single-speed rear wheel or purchase one direct from Van Dessel.

Chalo Colina

Old March 28th 04, 05:20 AM
Mike Kruger

"Chalo" wrote in message
m...
This is a nice stylish aluminum-framed bike from a worthy maker:
http://vandesselsports.com/b_straightUp.shtml

It's got a coaster brake! You can't get a simpler bike than that
unless it's a fixed-gear track bike.

It says:
Rear coaster brake - Front brake avalible*
I'm curious, though: Can a normal size adult reasonably use a coaster brake?
I would think any coaster brake would, at best, be like any bike that just
had a rear brake -- and most of the braking is done by the front!

--
Mike Kruger
"we are more likely to "know" what we want to know than what we don't want

Old March 28th 04, 07:40 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 04:20:02 GMT,
m,
"Mike Kruger" wrote:

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...
This is a nice stylish aluminum-framed bike from a worthy maker:
http://vandesselsports.com/b_straightUp.shtml

It's got a coaster brake! You can't get a simpler bike than that
unless it's a fixed-gear track bike.

It says:
Rear coaster brake - Front brake avalible*
I'm curious, though: Can a normal size adult reasonably use a coaster brake?
I would think any coaster brake would, at best, be like any bike that just
had a rear brake -- and most of the braking is done by the front!

I find it inadequate for my regular riding style. However, when I'm
riding the coaster brake bike, I ride differently. Knowing you've only
one marginally efficient brake requires a more relaxed pace or space.
Adding a front brake makes it too ugly with only one brake lever.

The coaster brake doesn't feel like it retards as well as a cantilever
brake. It's just a shade better than a cheap steel caliper because
it's not affected by rain.

I rode a front wheel drive frankenbike with a coaster brake that sorta
worked sometimes.
--
zk