High quality Single Speed Bicycle on a budget?

Old March 28th 04, 08:03 PM
Bill Blum

Default High quality Single Speed Bicycle on a budget?

James Calivar wrote:
"Chris" wrote

Isn't that what you get with a $500 bike?

Chris

The guy asked for a sub-$500.00 bike, and that's what I pointed him to. I'm
not defending or pushing any particular brand here - it
s just the one I remember seeing.

I've seen crap sold at pricepoints $500...

Personally, I'm quite happy with my sub$500 bike ( a Giant Cypress ST ).
I've done a lot of short-distance commuting, running errands in town,
and a few club rides ( ~10 miles ) as well...

I do plan to upgrade to a nicer bike ( probably a road bike ) in the
future... but for now, I'll keep my entry level sub $500 ride, thanks.
Old April 1st 04, 06:42 PM
MattB

Mike Kruger wrote:
"Chalo" wrote in message
m...
This is a nice stylish aluminum-framed bike from a worthy maker:
http://vandesselsports.com/b_straightUp.shtml

It's got a coaster brake! You can't get a simpler bike than that
unless it's a fixed-gear track bike.

It says:
Rear coaster brake - Front brake avalible*
I'm curious, though: Can a normal size adult reasonably use a coaster
brake? I would think any coaster brake would, at best, be like any
bike that just had a rear brake -- and most of the braking is done by
the front!

I ride a coaster brake bike every day around town. It's fine for me and I
prefer it on a cruiser. Makes one-handed riding work better since I brake
with my feet. Good for sipping on my coffee on the way to work in the
mornings.

Matt

Old April 1st 04, 11:57 PM
jeffbonny

So "MattB" says:

I ride a coaster brake bike every day around town. It's fine for me and I
prefer it on a cruiser. Makes one-handed riding work better since I brake
with my feet. Good for sipping on my coffee on the way to work in the
mornings.

I just built a 24" wheel cruiser with only a back V-brake. The other
day as I jumped off the curb into traffic, coffee in right hand and no
brake lever under my left I thought how good an idea a coaster brake
would have been...

jeffb
Old April 2nd 04, 04:33 PM
MattB

jeffbonny wrote:
So "MattB" says:

I ride a coaster brake bike every day around town. It's fine for me
and I prefer it on a cruiser. Makes one-handed riding work better
since I brake with my feet. Good for sipping on my coffee on the way
to work in the mornings.

I just built a 24" wheel cruiser with only a back V-brake. The other
day as I jumped off the curb into traffic, coffee in right hand and no
brake lever under my left I thought how good an idea a coaster brake
would have been...

jeffb

It's tha shiznit!

Matt

Old April 3rd 04, 09:01 AM
papercut

My beat up old MTB currently runs as a single-speed coaster-braked
slick-tired urban beater. It's a old cromo non-suspension MTB, lost
it's derailer long ago, and a few months ago I changed it to the cheap
generic one-speed coaster brake. The thing runs great. I kept the
front canti brake, put some 3" steel riser handlebars(a change from
the northroad bars I was running), changed the saddle for a cheap,
wider sprung unit, and keep it geared at about 77". The thing is fast,
comfy, reliable and fairly light and nimble. Riding position is
upright and relaxed. Changing cogs on the coaster is cheap and easy.
The frame is old enough to have horizontal dropouts, so I can go from
a 12t to 18t with ease.

Running only a coaster brake is a bit iffy in my mind, unless you
prefer going at a slower more relaxed pace. I like to think a coaster
brake has the worst of both single speed and fixed gear worlds.
You've got one speed, can coast and can brake at least as well as a
brakeless fixie.

One concern I have about the Van Dessell Staight Up is that there only
seems to be a provision for a front caliper brake. They sell the
add-on Odyssey 1999, which is a inexpensive BMX, rather long reach,
sidepull. I'd much prefer cantis or V-brakes. Or at least a shorter
reach sidepull (not sure what'll work with their fork/tire size). But
other than that, it looks like a good choice.