Advanced Stop Lines

Old November 12th 03, 09:32 AM
Robert Bruce

Default Advanced Stop Lines

AFAIK, it is only legal when the lights are red to enter an ASL 'region' via
the cycle lane(s) provided - even though these are usually in the gutter
and/or obstructed by motor vehicles. Yesterday I noticed that a particular
ASL in Harlesden (http://tinyurl.com/uo5y) has no entry point at all. I
presume that this is because the road isn't wide enough to accommodate two
lanes of motor traffic and a cycle lane.

Is there any point to this ASL at all? Even putting aside the fact that in
normal circumstances it's illegal to actually use it, in practical terms,
the width of the road means that it's almost impossible to get to without
weaving in and out of the traffic queue in a manner that takes the control
and confidence of a pretty experienced cyclist.

Luckily I'm both pretty and experienced ;-)

--
Rob
Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and

Old November 12th 03, 10:05 AM
David Hansen

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:32:11 -0000 someone who may be "Robert Bruce"
robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay wrote this:-

Yesterday I noticed that a particular
ASL in Harlesden (http://tinyurl.com/uo5y) has no entry point at all. [snip]

Is there any point to this ASL at all?

There are several such ASLs in Edinburgh. These are frequently used
by cyclists. I have no idea if they are experienced or not.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old November 12th 03, 10:14 AM
Adrian Boliston

"Robert Bruce" robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay wrote in message

AFAIK, it is only legal when the lights are red to enter an ASL 'region' via
the cycle lane(s) provided....

This would seem to encourage cyclists to "undertake" and risk getting "car-doored"
when it's usually safer to "overtake" if you *must* get to the ASL.

Old November 12th 03, 10:28 AM
Drinky

[snip]
Yesterday I noticed that a particular
ASL in Harlesden (http://tinyurl.com/uo5y) has no entry point at all.

[snip]

Is there any point to this ASL at all?

There are several such ASLs in Edinburgh. These are frequently used
by cyclists. I have no idea if they are experienced or not.

Never mind their level of experience - are they pretty?

Old November 12th 03, 10:34 AM
Stuart Dalby

[...]

Whilst it is nice to have a cycle lane in place to help cyclists reach
an advanced stop line (ASL), the lack of a cycle lane does not prevent
a cyclist from approaching the ASL and using it. Whether there is a
cycle lane or not, if it is not safe to progress, stop.

Stuart
http://www.radox.freeserve.co.uk/driving.htm

Old November 12th 03, 10:36 AM
Dave Larrington

The one here - http://tinyurl.com/uocu - is like that. It /did/ have a
cycle lane when first installed, but They took it away again, presumably
because it Does Not Do to inconvenience motorcars.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old November 12th 03, 10:58 AM
Ian

Stuart Dalby must be edykated coz e writed:

Whilst it is nice to have a cycle lane in place to help cyclists reach
an advanced stop line (ASL), the lack of a cycle lane does not prevent
a cyclist from approaching the ASL and using it. Whether there is a
cycle lane or not, if it is not safe to progress, stop.

I think you will find that if there is a solid line to the front and rear of
the ASL, and no cycle lane entering the box then it is illegal to use it
technically.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old November 12th 03, 11:18 AM
Richard Goodman

"Robert Bruce" robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay wrote in message
AFAIK, it is only legal when the lights are red to enter an ASL 'region'

via
the cycle lane(s) provided

Why do you think that?

Is there any point to this ASL at all? Even putting aside the fact that in
normal circumstances it's illegal to actually use it, in practical terms,
the width of the road means that it's almost impossible to get to without
weaving in and out of the traffic queue

So what? There's certainly no rule that says a two-wheeled user can't
filter between lanes.

in a manner that takes the control
and confidence of a pretty experienced cyclist.

Nah, it's not that hard. I don't see any cyclists hesitating to do it on my
commutes.

Luckily I'm both pretty and experienced ;-)

But are you FPSDDF and willing ;-)?

Rich

Old November 12th 03, 12:10 PM
Stuart Dalby

"Ian" wrote in message
Whilst it is nice to have a cycle lane in place to help cyclists

reach
an advanced stop line (ASL), the lack of a cycle lane does not

prevent
a cyclist from approaching the ASL and using it. Whether there is

cycle lane or not, if it is not safe to progress, stop.

I think you will find that if there is a solid line to the front and

rear of
the ASL, and no cycle lane entering the box then it is illegal to

use it
technically.

A few people's posts suggest it is not legal. I've had a quick online
search for clarification but haven't found any. Has anyone a link?

Thanks,

Old November 12th 03, 12:47 PM
Nathaniel Porter

"Richard Goodman" wrote in message
s.com...
"Robert Bruce" robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay wrote in message
AFAIK, it is only legal when the lights are red to enter an ASL 'region'

via
the cycle lane(s) provided

Why do you think that?

Because you have to cross a stop line. The only exemption is where there is
a green cycle filter, but you'll only find these on the very first ASLs.

It's a stupid rule - I really hope that plod uses their brain if they see a
cyclist breaking it.