2.4 or 2.5 inch tires for a true 20inch rim

Old August 4th 05, 07:47 PM
redhead

Default 2.4 or 2.5 inch tires for a true 20inch rim

Someware on the internet i found a 2.4 or 2.5 inch tire for a true 20
inch rim. I am asking how much of a (weight and riding)difference will
there be if i put that on my 05 torker dx to use for trials? and how
much of and difference ( weight and riding) would puting a alex 19 inch
rim with a 2.5 inch tire on my dx

--
redhead

i rock
"i only got two thing in this world, my word and my balls,and i ain't
brakin them for no one"
redhead's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9985

Old August 4th 05, 08:30 PM
Fuego

well, I don't know about 20" tires, but I know that a DX 32 is a 36 hole
rim and a torker DX hub is a 48 hole hub. soo, you're gonna have to do
some crazy wheelbuilding to get that to work.

--
Fuego - A Cult of Unicyclists

If u could've aborted president bush using medicinal marijuana grown by
a gay guy with a feeding-tube who was on death row, wade u?
-GILD

"Get off my Property before you sue me!"
-Morons everywhere.

'OneWheelNinjaSquad' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/OneWheelNinjaSquad)
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

Old August 4th 05, 08:47 PM
john_childs

Unicycle.com UK has the '20x2.4 trials tyre'
(http://tinyurl.com/ysltt)

There is a variety of unknowns, uncertainties, and difficulties
involved:
-Don't know if the 20x2.4 will fit in the DX frame
-DX has a rather skinny rim compared to trials rims. Don't know if
there would be tire foldover problems doing trials with the 20x2.4 tyre
with the standard 20" rim on the DX.
-The DX has 48 spokes and most trials rims are 36 spoke. UDC is very
likely trying to source some 48 spoke rims and may already have some.
Give them a call to find out.
-Don't know if there is a wider 20" rim available that takes 48 spokes.
A wide rim, like the trials rims, for a standard 20" with 48 spokes
would be neat to go with that 20x2.4" tyre.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old August 4th 05, 08:52 PM
heavy metal unicycling

UDC (in the US anyway) now has a 48 hole trials rim simaler to the KH
rim. It costs 30 dollars, but is not on the website wet, so you have to
order it over phone.

--
heavy metal unicycling - Loveland Unicycling Club

People who throw stones at you are quietly saying, "shoot me," they're
just not being verbally expressive enough.
-harper

The Big Picture-
The entire population of the world, with one minor exception, is
composed of others.
heavy metal unicycling's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9857

Old August 4th 05, 10:41 PM
redhead

thank you all,
and what are your thoughts on street riding on a trials virsises street
riding on a 20 inch with a 2.4 inch tire?

Old August 4th 05, 11:06 PM
forrestunifreak

Im pretty sure a 2.4 would fit fine in a 05 DX frame. caw89 says the 2.5
luna trials fits the frame, but with occasional rubbing.

--
forrestunifreak - The buck stops here.

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.

it has been known to the state of california to cause warts, toe jam,
ring-around-the-collar, compulsive twitching, and in some severe cases,
' diaper rash.' (http://tinyurl.com/ct5lp)
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pshycological nudity, and
traces of peanuts.

Team YAMS member.....

Old August 4th 05, 11:54 PM
jagur

ive seen a bunch of 20x3 tyre on various chopper bikes but the tyres
dont seem to be available separatly.

Giant makes a chopper with pretty cool fattys.

http://tinyurl.com/77yqp

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Old August 5th 05, 12:11 AM
john_childs

redhead wrote:
*thank you all,
and what are your thoughts on street riding on a trials virsises
street riding on a 20 inch with a 2.4 inch tire?
*

Seems like it would be a good idea. The slightly larger wheel would
mean fewer pedal strikes on the ground when doing spins and other
freestyle moves. Just make sure you have a wide enough rim so you don't
get tyre foldover problems.

You've basically only have one trials style tyre choice though in the
20x2.4" size. If you go that route I'd keep about two tyres in reserve
just in case that tyre is no longer available. That way you'd still be
able to ride for a little bit if the tyre is discontinued.

Old August 5th 05, 12:31 AM
jagur

i just called my local Giant dealer, they said the 20x3 tyre on the
Giant Stelletto is availble now for 26 bucks!

its called the Magnum 20x3.0

guess where i am going after work...

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Modern tires with colors other than black, Bad? Techniques 4 May 9th 05 05:48 PM
27 inch folding tires? cheg Techniques 3 August 25th 04 06:31 PM
relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM
Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 04:40 PM
Newbie question about tubeless tires Kevin Doulet Mountain Biking 11 August 26th 03 08:05 PM