Help with people wanting my unicycle..

Old August 5th 05, 04:52 AM
Hermit

Default Help with people wanting my unicycle..

ok well today i was unicycling for about 7 hours with my friends on foot
and about 3 people asked me to ride for them when i wasnt on it, and 2
people, one of which was a drunk asked to ride it? Do you people have an
briliant ways of fending off people who want to ride it? Should i just
not ever get off?

--
Hermit
Hermit's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10430

Old August 5th 05, 07:04 AM
ChangingLINKS.com

Um, it's odd that no one posted the simple solution:

Just say "No."

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old August 5th 05, 07:39 AM
Klaas Bil

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:52:05 -0500, "Hermit" wrote:

Do you people have an
briliant ways of fending off people who want to ride it?

Why? I offer them to give it a try. What can go wrong?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Unicycling is like glue: you have to stick with it, and it's not to be sniffed at - Mikefule"

Old August 5th 05, 09:10 AM
fcwegnm0b

jsm wrote:
*Use the four step method; it works for me.
1. Grow over six feet tall.
2. Always ride with your seat as high as is comfortable for you.
3. Overtighten the seatpost clamp so that you can't raise or lower the
seat without a wrench and lots of effort.
4. Tell anyone who wants to ride it that you would let them try,
except they're too short, and you can't lower the seat because it's
jammed.

Alternatively, you could just let them try to ride it. It can be great
entertainment. *

Great minds think alike

--
fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

"So the nurse was telling me about what you did to your ankle... and I
all got was 'unicycle', 'mountain', and 'filming'"
fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

Old August 5th 05, 09:57 AM
DustinMichels

Klaas Bil wrote:
Why? I offer them to give it a try. What can go wrong?
[/b]

They can nick it, it's annoying, you're just walking for a bit because
you've got a sore arse, and people go CAN I RIDE IT PLEASE PLEASE!!!
Actually, they don't even say please. Usually they don't even say "Can
I", but just "I WANNA RIDE IT, NOW"

Either you ignore them, or you look em in the eye and say "Nope", pretty
direct, but that gets rid of the problem. If they dare to ask why,
ignore them and ride as fast as you can :/

--
DustinMichels - What could possibly go wrong?

-Clink! Screw! Bend! Inflate! Alter Saddle!-
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

Old August 5th 05, 09:58 AM
DustinMichels

And wow Klaas, you get up early

Old August 5th 05, 10:13 AM
markf

i always just ask if they can ride, they always say no. well, once
someone said yes, and they happened to be tall enough, so they took a
little spin on my muni. i'm 6'4 so most people are far too short for my
seat heights anyway.

--
markf - movie nerd

stuck in iowa and unemployed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

Old August 5th 05, 10:40 AM
kington99

I almost always say yes, just seems alot more friendly, and who knows,
some of them might actually get in to it. Also it's worth it for the
ocassions when the person asking can actually ride, or even, as has
hapened a couple of times, is pretty good. Also it gets me respect down
the local jump park when guys who have been riding the huge gap jumps
try my uni and dismount because it's too scary

--
kington99 - I HAVE figured out how to change th

Dave

Old August 5th 05, 10:52 AM
andy parry

I don't mind letting people have a go, or demo'ing stuff, if the people
are polite and enthusiastic. Its the morons, who are usually with a
bunch of there equally retarded mates, who pester you for a go, and ask
"how do you do that?", believing that i can give them a simple
explanation of how to ride a unicycle, and then they will be able to
ride just like me.
This infact happened to me last night, they soon got bored of my
monosylabic responeses...
picture the scene.. I unicycled down to the park about 2miles away to
go the the local juggling club, and was first there and juggling.
four chav youths wonder over
Chav: "is that you bike?"
Me: "yup" (avoiding educating the idiot to what it is actually called)
Chav: "Can you ride it"
Me: "Aye"
Chav: "Show me"
Me: "I'm busy"
Chav: "Go on"
Me: "no"
Chav: "Can I have a go"
Me: "no"
Chav: "why not"
Me: "it'll break"
Chav: "I;ve just got back from Majorca"
Me: " " (couldn't care silence)
Chav: "do you think i look brown"
Me: " " (couldn't care silence, followed by why are you telling me
this silence)
Chav: "have you ever been to Majorca?"
Me: "no"
Chav: "have you ever been abroad"
Me: "a few times" (CRAP! a sentance, be carefull not to engage in
conversation!!)
Chav: "how much is your bike"
Me: "not much" (what happened to your interesting holiday stories!)

at this point im still juggling and they got bored and found some guys
playing football to impress their awe inspiring wit and flowery pros
upon.

Andy Parry

Old August 5th 05, 02:39 PM
cathwood

jsm wrote:
*Use the four step method; it works for me.
1. Grow over six feet tall.
2. Always ride with your seat as high as is comfortable for you.
3. Overtighten the seatpost clamp so that you can't raise or lower the
seat without a wrench and lots of effort.
4. Tell anyone who wants to ride it that you would let them try,
except they're too short, and you can't lower the seat because it's
jammed.

Alternatively, you could just let them try to ride it. It can be great
entertainment. *

I do it the kind of opposite way, stayed at 5foot2. Sawed off the
seatpost so that it's way to short for most people.

Seeing as I am all growed up - I always say no to kids cos I don't want
their parents sueing me for the pinned pedal injuries or anything more
serious. In my experience the idiots don't wait for me to explain how
you do it and think that if I can do it, so can they.
Over 18's can have a go. I always say "Don't hurt yourself", they always
say "I wont", try to ride off on it - thinking again that if I can do
it, so can they, hurt themselves immediately falling off and hand the
unicycle quickly back to me and walk off, before they can hear my
imagined laughter.

It always works this way. I have never let anyone have a go and they
have managed to ride it, never mind ride it away anywhere. Apart from
those people who I ride with ofcourse.

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist