DANGER: Trek multitrack 7300 (hybrid) aluminum bracket sheers off, rips apart entire rear end of bike

Old April 1st 05, 10:25 PM
Bob Schwartz

In rec.bicycles.racing wrote:
Dan wrote:

snip

It turns out that a small piece of the aluminum frame supporting the
gear shifter wore out due to metal fatigue. The shifter mechanism
ripped off the aluminum frame, got caught in the rear spokes, and
destroyed the entire rear end of the bike. Several spokes are broken
and/or bent. The shifter mechanism is bent in several places, the
shifter wire is shredded, and the front crank apparatus also has some
damage due to the sudden awkward pull on the chain.

I would be willing to bet that the manufacturer finds an excuse to not
do anything, even if the dealer goes to bat for you. It doesn't matter
what the actual cause of the failure was, it's whether or not they can
find a way to not do anything, since it's your word against their's.

Look, it was his own damn fault. Frames don't fail that way without
some measure of operator error. He should suck it up and buy a new
bike or frame and not expect Trek to cover for his mistakes.

You really want to avoid aluminum frames if at all possible, but you're
not going to find many $420 bicycles with chromoloy steel frames! Metal
fatigue is a huge problem with aluminum, and not just on bicycles. Of
course most of the time you'll be just fine, but it's those
catastrophic failures, that are much more likely to occur with
aluminum, that are scary. The derailleur hanger can be subjected to a
lot of stress, with not a lot of metal there.

This is flat out bull****.

I've broken my share of bikes. The really hairy frame failures have
all involved steel. The only damage I've done to any of the aluminum
bikes I've owned was my own damn fault.

The time I ripped the down tube out of the lower head lug in a crit,
it was a steel frame. The time I had a chain stay come loose from
the bottom bracket shell, it was steel. The time I was wondering
what the !@#$% was up with my front brake and realized, once I had
stopped, that the fork leg was failing at the crown, it was steel.

And the time I crashed and whacked an aluminum derailleur hanger, I
fixed it with a cresent wrench and an alignment tool. If it would
have failed later I'd have sucked it up and bought a new frame
because it would have been my own damn fault.

Derailleur hangers do not see a lot of stress unless someone screws
up.

Bob Schwartz

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/

Old April 1st 05, 10:55 PM

Werehatrack wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:14:36 CST, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
may have said:

wrote:
Your bike sounds like a prime candidate to become a singlespeed.

LOL nice way to look at it...

If half the right dropout is gone, it's not much of a candidate for
conversion until the dropout has been replaced. (Not to mention the
possible bent stays.)

--

I figured he snapped off part of the hanger. Half of the dropout would
be impressive.

Old April 2nd 05, 02:16 AM

Bob Schwartz wrote:

Look, it was his own damn fault. Frames don't fail that way without
some measure of operator error.

If it was a replaceable, breakaway hanger, there was no frame failure,
the hanger broke away as it was designed to do. Unfortunately, after it
broke was when the real damage occurred, but you can't expect the
manufacturer to cover collateral damage like that.

He should suck it up and buy a new
bike or frame and not expect Trek to cover for his mistakes.

I agree that he will have to buy a new bike, and that it is
unreasonable for Trek to cover the damage, if in fact it was a
replaceable, breakaway hanger that broke off.

This is flat out bull****.

I've broken my share of bikes. The really hairy frame failures have
all involved steel. The only damage I've done to any of the aluminum
bikes I've owned was my own damn fault.

Your personal experience is not proof of anything.

Aluminum is not designed to be stressed. The clever workaround is the
replaceable, breakaway, derailleur hanger, which is designed to prevent
frame damage. As the orignal poster found, things don't always fail in
the perfect manner. Aluminum has some good attributes, it's light and
it's cheap. But in some cases, it's better to have something bendable
than breakable.

Old April 2nd 05, 07:44 AM

Don't made bikes made in asia if you care about safety. Buy
cannondale or american made.

Old April 2nd 05, 08:25 AM
Robert Chung

Bob Schwartz wrote:
Look, it was his own damn fault. Frames don't fail that way without
some measure of operator error. He should suck it up and buy a new
bike or frame and not expect Trek to cover for his mistakes.

Several years ago, while JRA, I ran over a stick (or perhaps, a vicious
and wily stick jumped up and attacked my innocent rear wheel). It lodged
into the wheel and ripped the derailleur out of the rear hanger, bent the
aluminum hanger, broke one spoke and bent a couple of others. I consider
that my own damn fault, not the manufacturer's.

Dan complained:
I was not happy. I had to walk 8 miles home while contending
with a pair of minor stress fractures in the legs

Poor baby. I took out my CPR-9, removed the broken derailleur, shortened
the chain to turn the bike into a single-speed, and did a rough true of
the wheel. Then I rode 10 miles home.

Old April 3rd 05, 08:20 PM

Cannondale is still made in USA and my 2002 lemond was also made in
usa.

gary fisher 2004 nirvana or trek 2004 hybrid 7300?? please help... Steve Techniques 2 August 9th 04 01:38 AM
Trek 7200 vs. 7300 Steve Techniques 16 July 26th 04 09:50 PM
Trek 7210 hybrid? tony R UK 2 May 29th 04 11:27 AM
No fitting for a Trek Hybrid? Badger_South General 14 April 25th 04 04:41 AM
FA: TREK Aluminum Investment Cast Lugs & Tubing The Ink Company Marketplace 0 September 8th 03 01:08 AM