now that's a headwind ...

Old October 26th 05, 01:32 AM
Bleve

Default now that's a headwind ...

Melbourne today .. one wind and a half! Was doing laps of the
Blackburn velodrome, so at least 33% of the time it was a tailwind ...

Then, riding in to town along the Burwood Hwy, dropping down towards
Deakin and Station St - normally a 60km/h+ stretch ... 40km/h working
hard into it! Urgh!

Old October 26th 05, 01:42 AM
flyingdutch

Rode down to school with the kids. Tailwind.
Turn towards CBD. Tailwind.
Becomes lateral/side wind.
Then proceeded to take turns in tail/side/headwind every 30 seconds!
Very confusing.
I'm still getting ****e outta my eyes :P

--
flyingdutch

Old October 26th 05, 02:17 AM
GPLama

yeep - best training on a commute I've had for days (actually, its the only
commuting I've done in days).. out of 18kms I had about 300m tail wind

cheers,
GPLamadore

Old October 26th 05, 02:37 AM
EuanB

Bleve Wrote:
Melbourne today .. one wind and a half! Was doing laps of the
Blackburn velodrome, so at least 33% of the time it was a tailwind ...

Then, riding in to town along the Burwood Hwy, dropping down towards
Deakin and Station St - normally a 60km/h+ stretch ... 40km/h working
hard into it! Urgh!

Up Blackburn Road in to a headwind. Crawled in to work.

Surprinsingly not a hugely different time.

--
EuanB

Old October 26th 05, 02:48 AM
sinus

flyingdutch Wrote:
I'm still getting ****e outta my eyes :P

My eyes were full of grit and I managed to rub out one of my contact
lenses straight after the ride. This was followed by a mad panic to
find some solution in the office to put it back. Ran round still in
bike gear and socks trying to steal from someones desk. No dice - had
to put it back in dry. That really hurt. If you see a blinking cyclist
on Yarra trail tonight, that's me. I'm praying for a strong north
westerly to make up for it all.

--
sinus

Old October 26th 05, 03:00 AM
Bleve

flyingdutch wrote:
Rode down to school with the kids. Tailwind.
Turn towards CBD. Tailwind.
Becomes lateral/side wind.
Then proceeded to take turns in tail/side/headwind every 30 seconds!
Very confusing.
I'm still getting ****e outta my eyes :P

Have you been elected yet?

Old October 26th 05, 03:05 AM
Absent Husband

Hey sinus,

I always have a pair of cheapie 'clear lens' sunnies in my backpack for
that very reason. Seems to do the trick.

I wear them on my howeward commute (which always seems to have a
headwind) when its too dark for normal sunnies.

Cheers,
Abby

Old October 26th 05, 03:10 AM
Joel Mayes

flyingdutch wrote:
Rode down to school with the kids. Tailwind.
Turn towards CBD. Tailwind.
Becomes lateral/side wind.

I almost came of on the corner of Rathdowne and Queensbury, turned into
that sudden side wind which caught the box up front of the postie bike
and blew my at least twenty centimeters of my line.

Old October 26th 05, 03:54 AM
SuzieB

sinus Wrote:
My eyes were full of grit and I managed to rub out one of my contact
lenses straight after the ride. This was followed by a mad panic to
find some solution in the office to put it back. Ran round still in
bike gear and socks trying to steal from someones desk. No dice - had
to put it back in dry. That really hurt. If you see a blinking cyclist
on Yarra trail tonight, that's me. I'm praying for a strong north
westerly to make up for it all.

My dad the pharmacist said that if all else fails then clean saliva
will do the trick to moisten up the lens again. I have to admit I have
had to use this trick a couple of times and it isn't pleasant but it
does make the lense bearable to get back into the eye.

--
SuzieB

Old October 26th 05, 04:09 AM
Shabby

SuzieB Wrote:
My dad the pharmacist said that if all else fails then clean saliva will
do the trick to moisten up the lens again. I have to admit I have had to
use this trick a couple of times and it isn't pleasant but it does make
the lense bearable to get back into the eye.

Clean saliva? There's less bacteria in plain water. As long as it
hasn't turned into a starfish, just chuck it back into your eye and
blink....

(for the record, I've used the old contact in the shot glass trick on a
number of occassions, it works and it beats leaving them in).

--
Shabby

FS: Kreitler Challenger Rollers, Killer Headwind Fan, Forkstand [email protected] Marketplace 0 May 22nd 05 10:03 PM
Continental headwind wafflycat UK 3 April 25th 05 12:23 PM
FS: Kreitler Challenger Rollers and Killer Headwind Fan rcvdayton Marketplace 0 January 31st 05 07:31 PM
WTB: Kreitler headwind unit Bill Marketplace 1 December 28th 04 01:38 PM
Riding against a strong headwind Ozzii Pete Australia 14 December 20th 03 09:09 AM