Gatlin tests positive for testosterone

Old July 30th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Callistus Valerius

Default Gatlin tests positive for testosterone

OLYMPIC and world 100m champion Justin Gatlin is facing a lifetime ban from
athletics if he cannot prove his innocence after failing a drugs test for
the second time in his career.

The news that the joint record holder had tested positive for "testosterone
or its precursors" after a relay race in Kansas City on April 22 was
revealed to the world in a statement from the sprinter himself, in which he
added: "I cannot account for these results, because I have never knowingly
used any banned substance or authorised anyone else to administer such a
substance to me.

"Since learning of the positive test, I have been doing everything in my
power to find out what caused this to happen. I have been and will continue
to cooperate fully with USADA [United States Anti-Doping Agency] as it moves
forward with the process it has initiated and hope that when all the facts
are revealed it will be determined that I have done nothing wrong."

Less than three weeks after providing the illegal sample, the American
equalled Jamaican Asafa Powell's world record of 9.77secs. Now the
legitimacy of that run will be questioned.

Gatlin previously tested positive for an amphetamine at the 2001 US junior
championships but after it was revealed that it was contained in
prescription medication he had taken for 10 years to treat a form of
attention deficit disorder, the International Association of Athletics
Federations (IAAF) gave him early reinstatement from his two-year ban but
warned that a second violation would lead to a lifetime ban.

"That experience made me even more vigilant to make certain that I [do] not
come into contact with any banned substance for any reason whatsoever,
because any additional anti-doping rule offence could mean a lifetime ban
from the sport that I love," Gatlin added in his statement. "Since the
positive test at the University of Tennessee, I have been involved with
efforts to educate people about the dangers of using drugs and would never
do anything to disappoint my fans and supporters.

"It is simply not consistent with either my character or my confidence in my
God-given athletic ability to cheat in any way."

But despite the protestations of innocence and the fact he has made slow but
steady progress as a world-class sprinter, having Trevor Graham, who has a
long history of training athletes who have turned out to be drug cheats, as
his coach has long fuelled the fear that a positive test was almost
inevitable.

"I'm not stupid," said Gatlin at the USA Track and Field Championships last
month. "I know why I get [tested] more. It's because of the people I train
with and the people who train me. I'm very vulnerable because of the people
I have within my circle, and I'm always walking on eggshells. I've become
pretty paranoid about what I take, what I eat, who handles my food. I'm
always watching my back."

But the engaging 24-year-old, who also collected Olympic silver medals in
the 200m and 4x100m relay in Athens, had thus far managed to allay those
suspicions. He has maintained that the scepticism and depression which
clouded the sport when he first broke onto the international scene was
enough to warn him away from temptation and has consistently voiced his
opinion that athletes post-BALCO are a cleaner generation.

"When we came on the scene in 2003, when we were babies, that was a dark
age," Gatlin said when discussing the situation, last month. "The first
question we were asked was, 'So, what do you think about this latest drug
scandal?' But now we talk about how we can make things better for the sport
and how we can make it better for the people who come in behind us. We want
to make a name for ourselves in a positive way."

He had managed that at the Athens Olympics and at the World Championships,
he also achieved it in Doha in May but unless he can prove his innocence it
will all have been in vain. The only positive he will be remembered for is
the drugs test result that has further tainted the sport he claims to love.

Old July 30th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Keith

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 00:30:12 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

OLYMPIC and world 100m champion Justin Gatlin is facing a lifetime ban from
athletics if he cannot prove his innocence after failing a drugs test for
the second time in his career.

What we don't know is whether it's an abnormal ratio and exogeneous
testosterone like Landis or just an abnormal ratio ?
Old July 30th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
wimpyVO2

Callistus Valerius wrote:

OLYMPIC and world 100m champion Justin Gatlin is facing a lifetime ban from
athletics if he cannot prove his innocence after failing a drugs test for
the second time in his career.

The news that the joint record holder had tested positive for "testosterone
or its precursors" after a relay race in Kansas City on April 22 was
revealed to the world in a statement from the sprinter himself, in which he
added: "I cannot account for these results, because I have never knowingly
used any banned substance or authorised anyone else to administer such a
substance to me."

I predict, by sometime in 2007, that Gatlin and Landis will both be
exonerated. We will then say they are both victims of Bad Science and
lack of due process. The more we learn of testosterone testing, the
more we learn how unreliable it is as a marker for doping.

Old July 30th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Linda Lou

wrote:

OLYMPIC and world 100m champion Justin Gatlin is facing a lifetime ban from
athletics if he cannot prove his innocence after failing a drugs test for
the second time in his career.

What we don't know is whether it's an abnormal ratio and exogeneous
testosterone like Landis or just an abnormal ratio ?

According to AP:
"The test on the cyclist measured the ratio of testosterone to
epitestosterone in his system and found an imbalance. Gatlin's test was
different. Called a carbon-isotope ratio test, it is essentially a test
that looks only at testosterone, not epitestosterone, and can determine
whether the testosterone in a person's system is natural or unnatural.

In his statement, Gatlin said he tested positive for "testosterone or
its precursors" "Precursors" is another term for anabolic steroids."

It doesn't look good for Gatlin.

Linda

Old July 30th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SH

wrote:

OLYMPIC and world 100m champion Justin Gatlin is facing a lifetime ban from
athletics if he cannot prove his innocence after failing a drugs test for
the second time in his career.

The news that the joint record holder had tested positive for "testosterone
or its precursors" after a relay race in Kansas City on **** April 22 *****

Dumbasses,

Was I the only one who noticed this?

Where the **** is the Dick Pounder when you need him?
Old July 30th 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
raylopez99

wimpyVO2 wrote:

I predict, by sometime in 2007, that Gatlin and Landis will both be
exonerated. We will then say they are both victims of Bad Science and
lack of due process. The more we learn of testosterone testing, the
more we learn how unreliable it is as a marker for doping.

I think you can detect exogenous (artificial) T from a technique called
mass spectrometry, which essentially checks for isotopes (synthetic T
having different isotopes than natural T I imagine).

We'll see what the tests say about Gatlin and Landis, but don't rule
out a mysterious "third person", like alleged in Ben Johnson's case
(1988), where a friend of Carl Lewis, Ben's rival, was seen in the same
room when Ben was giving his urine sample. Coincidence? Or cause for
concern?

Likewise with Landis, is the "chain of custody" of the urine sample
iron-clad? Or for a few minutes or hours was it out of sight of at
least two witnesses. And was the protocol for urine samples like in
the Olympics, where the samples are labeled by number, not by name? A
technician seeing an American name might want to sabotage the
Americans. Stranger things have happened (I recall many years ago some
Chilean grapes were injected with cyanide by some Baltimore port clerks
(it is alleged) and this caused a panic that resulted in several months
embargo on Chilean produce).

RL

RL

Old July 30th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
gabriel faure

"raylopez99" solemnly wrote in
oups.com:

Likewise with Landis, is the "chain of custody" of the urine sample
iron-clad? Or for a few minutes or hours was it out of sight of at
least two witnesses. And was the protocol for urine samples like in
the Olympics, where the samples are labeled by number, not by name? A

YES.

technician seeing an American name might want to sabotage the
Americans. Stranger things have happened (I recall many years ago some
Chilean grapes were injected with cyanide by some Baltimore port clerks
(it is alleged) and this caused a panic that resulted in several months
embargo on Chilean produce).

blablabla
Old July 30th 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

"raylopez99" wrote in
oups.com:

wimpyVO2 wrote:

[...]

It's worse than that, the bonded couriers who delivered Landis's sample
to the testing lab were from de Groot and Hoogaboom. Of course, the
witnesses to this are all dead now. The bottom line is that if those
****ers can hold back the entire ocean you can believe if they want
Floyd's balls on a platter all he can do is inquire how they would like
them prepared. Thank god they're mostly wacked on drugs all the time or
they would own the damned planet.

--
Bill Asher
Old July 30th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

wrote:

OLYMPIC and world 100m champion Justin Gatlin is facing a lifetime ban from
athletics if he cannot prove his innocence after failing a drugs test for
the second time in his career.

The news that the joint record holder had tested positive for "testosterone
or its precursors" after a relay race in Kansas City on **** April 22 *****

Dumbasses,

Was I the only one who noticed this?

Where the **** is the Dick Pounder when you need him?

It wasn't bike racing.

Ron
Old July 30th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
raylopez99

gabriel faure wrote:
"raylopez99" solemnly wrote in
oups.com:

Likewise with Landis, is the "chain of custody" of the urine sample
iron-clad? Or for a few minutes or hours was it out of sight of at
least two witnesses. And was the protocol for urine samples like in
the Olympics, where the samples are labeled by number, not by name? A

YES.

You can't prove this. I doubt at least two witnesses were present.

Landis should be freed.

RL