Does anyone believe this?

Old November 4th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Does anyone believe this?

http://www.velonews.com/pr/prn/articles/11142.0.html

Developers expect the velodrome and adjacent hotel to create nearly 100
new full and part time jobs and that $25 to $35 million will be pumped
into the local economy by some 50,000 out of town visitors each year.

Duped

Old November 4th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
http://www.velonews.com/pr/prn/articles/11142.0.html

Developers expect the velodrome and adjacent hotel to create nearly 100
new full and part time jobs and that $25 to $35 million will be pumped
into the local economy by some 50,000 out of town visitors each year.

Duped

I believe that it will happen. Chauner and Simes do not fool around. Just
look at T-Towne where they helped get it off the ground. I know, I raced
there in it's early days. Also, along with Jerry Casale they have been the
driving force behind the uber-successful Pro race in Philly for the last 21
years.

Why would I doubt it ?

Old November 4th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Steve wrote:

Why would I doubt it ?

Read my snippet again, Steve. Glad you had fun racing a fixie in '77.
Not relevent here.

Old November 4th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve

wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:

Why would I doubt it ?

Read my snippet again, Steve. Glad you had fun racing a fixie in '77.
Not relevent here.

I read it and responded. Racing on that track, managed by Simes and
Chauner, is relevant to this discussion.

Old November 4th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Steve wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:

Why would I doubt it ?

Read my snippet again, Steve. Glad you had fun racing a fixie in '77.
Not relevent here.

I read it and responded. Racing on that track, managed by Simes and
Chauner, is relevant to this discussion.

No, Steve. It isn't. I am asking if anyone believes in the Millions of
Dollars and 100+ jobs and hotel and all that steaming crap found in the
publicity release. Just answer the question.

duped (again)

Old November 4th 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message .com,
') wrote:

Steve wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:

Why would I doubt it ?

Read my snippet again, Steve. Glad you had fun racing a fixie in '77.
Not relevent here.

I read it and responded. Racing on that track, managed by Simes and
Chauner, is relevant to this discussion.

No, Steve. It isn't. I am asking if anyone believes in the Millions of
Dollars and 100+ jobs and hotel and all that steaming crap found in the
publicity release. Just answer the question.

It's going to bring in some jobs and dollars. If they can get
Japanese-style Keirin racing going, with trackside betting permitted, it
could bring in a lot of jobs and dollars - although you'd need to invest
some to develop the audience. But, if going to watch (and bet on) the
Keirin on a Saturday night gets to be a cool thing for the general public
to do, then those figures could be an under-estimate.

Entrepreneurship involves risk, of course. And this would need flair and
imagination. But that doesn't mean it can't work.

Is there any substantial Japanese or Korean population in the area?

; gif ye hes forget our auld plane Scottis quhilk your mother lerit you,
; in tymes cuming I sall wryte to you my mind in Latin, for I am nocht
; acquyntit with your Southeron
;; Letter frae Ninian Winyet tae John Knox datit 27t October 1563

Old November 4th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve

wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:

Why would I doubt it ?

Read my snippet again, Steve. Glad you had fun racing a fixie in '77.
Not relevent here.

I read it and responded. Racing on that track, managed by Simes and
Chauner, is relevant to this discussion.

No, Steve. It isn't. I am asking if anyone believes in the Millions of
Dollars and 100+ jobs and hotel and all that steaming crap found in the
publicity release. Just answer the question.

duped (again)

Sorry to hear that you are Duped.

But back to the subject.

"Developers expect the velodrome and adjacent hotel to create nearly 100
new full and part time jobs (PART TIME IS THE KEY WORD)and that $25 to $35
million will be pumped
into the local economy by some 50,000 out of town visitors each year."( IT
WILL DOUBLE AS A CONCERT VENUE AND OUT OF TOWN INCLUDES THOSE FROM THE S.E.
PA REGION AND NEW JERSEY) Don't forget somebody has to make and sell the
VeloWedges at the Handlebar. This is standard community relations, business
proposal stuff. A little optimistic is how it is done.

Hopefully, they will have indoor races in the winter with a beer garden in
the infield. I will be there and pump money into their economy.

Old November 4th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Dear Dupedcyclist:
Hello there! I live in a city that has recently hosted SuperBowls
(American Professional Football, the kind with helmets and the forward
pass, Championship for non-US readers). I don't find those economic
opportunity numbers out of line. OK, they seem unrealistic, but
compared to the ones the NFL uses when coercing cities to give up
space, rennovate stadiums, etc. to support a potential SuperBowl,
they're not out of line at all. And, unlike the NFL, I don't see US
Cycling bringing in their nationally contracted limosine companies,
catering firms and event planning partners to cut out the locals. I
STILL have nightmares about duking it out with stretch Hummers going
the wrong way down one-way streets. The occasional wayward Subaru or VW
bus will be a bit easier to cope with.

Robert Leone

Old November 6th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Simon Brooke wrote:

in message .com,
') wrote:

Steve wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:

Why would I doubt it ?

Read my snippet again, Steve. Glad you had fun racing a fixie in '77.
Not relevent here.

I read it and responded. Racing on that track, managed by Simes and
Chauner, is relevant to this discussion.

No, Steve. It isn't. I am asking if anyone believes in the Millions of
Dollars and 100+ jobs and hotel and all that steaming crap found in the
publicity release. Just answer the question.

No, but if we all pretend to believe, we might get another track. I feel
totally morally self-righteous (greedy and narcissistic) about the
relative virtues of a new velodrome as opposed to a new stadium.

It's going to bring in some jobs and dollars. If they can get
Japanese-style Keirin racing going, with trackside betting permitted, it
could bring in a lot of jobs and dollars - although you'd need to invest
some to develop the audience. But, if going to watch (and bet on) the
Keirin on a Saturday night gets to be a cool thing for the general public
to do, then those figures could be an under-estimate.

Oh heavens. Not the keirin fantasy again. I think the
six-day-race-and-beer-garden fantasy is more realistic.

Entrepreneurship involves risk, of course. And this would need flair and
imagination. But that doesn't mean it can't work.

Will this be paid for with private investment?

As a mixed-use facility, it has a good chance of becoming a financially
successful concert-and-trade show venue with a financially marginal
velodrome hiding inside. I hope it works, because it's great to see more
velodromes being built, even thousands of miles from my house.

--
Ryan Cousineau
http://www.wiredcola.com/
Old November 6th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Capri

wrote:
http://www.velonews.com/pr/prn/articles/11142.0.html

Developers expect the velodrome and adjacent hotel to create nearly 100
new full and part time jobs and that $25 to $35 million will be pumped
into the local economy by some 50,000 out of town visitors each year.

Duped

Meanwhile a perfectly good velodrome (the 1986 world championships) at
Colorado Springs remains virtually empty.