The Great Don Quijote of RBM!

Old August 10th 07, 12:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Sornson

Default We Have a President That Rides A Bike Now!

Clive George wrote:

The sig problems are due to you using a free teranews account - they
put a sig on advertising themselves, so you shouldn't put your own
on. If you want to use sigs, use a better news server...

Ah, ha! By (Clive) George, you've solved the case.

Old August 10th 07, 12:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Sornson

A Muzi wrote:
"Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" wrote in
message .. .
-snip Hillary-

Bill "Sorni" Sornson wrote:
(PS: You might want to fix your sig file so it's deleted in
replies; PITA to "erase" it every time.)

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
My signature file starts with "-- ". What is it supposed to start
with?

Andrew Muzi wrote:
Yeah, and why does my 2-line sig sometimes end up all on one line
when quoted? Mysteries abound.

Clive George wrote:
Note to mention what the latest version of Google does to the
attribution field and it still ignores the signature separator -
Google really aggravated me compared to Thunderbird when my
news-feed went down for a few days.

The sig problems are due to you using a free teranews account - they
put a sig on advertising themselves, so you shouldn't put your own
on. If you want to use sigs, use a better news server...

OK for Tom maybe.

I use Thunderbird*. I access through my company's normal paid
mail/net/web hosting ISP. I peruse r.b.t. on usenet, not through an
ad-based interface. My sig file is a Notepad text file with a carriage
return after each line.

[* I liked Netscape Mail better, but the teenage geniuses here tell me
I'm supposed to want Thunderbird]

FWIW, Andrew, your sig has always appeared perfectly normal on my
newsreader. Never jammed onto one line or whatever...

Old August 10th 07, 12:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_440_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:

My signature file starts with "-- ". What is it supposed to start
with?

After seeing Andrew's reply, I think I spotted the difference: his sig
delineator (if that's the right word) goes directly below his last text,
while you put a blank line ("return") in first. His sig disappears if I hit
Reply; yours doesn't.

Bill "I just deleted it...again" S.

When I open my own posts, everything after the separator is in gray
instead of black [1]. If I then hit reply, the separator and everything
after it is NOT included in the quoted text.

[1] Old Netscape Communicator feature carried on by the functionally
similar Thunderbird.

Old August 10th 07, 12:48 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Sornson

Bill Sornson wrote:
Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:

My signature file starts with "-- ". What is it supposed to start
with?

After seeing Andrew's reply, I think I spotted the difference: his
sig delineator (if that's the right word) goes directly below his
last text, while you put a blank line ("return") in first. His sig
disappears if I hit Reply; yours doesn't.

Bill "I just deleted it...again" S.

When I open my own posts, everything after the separator is in gray
instead of black [1]. If I then hit reply, the separator and
everything after it is NOT included in the quoted text.

[1] Old Netscape Communicator feature carried on by the functionally
similar Thunderbird.

Clive spotted it. It's due to the auto-ad added at end.

Old August 10th 07, 12:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_441_]

Clive George wrote:
Note to mention what the latest version of Google does to the
attribution field and it still ignores the signature separator -
Google really aggravated me compared to Thunderbird when my news-feed
went down for a few days.

The sig problems are due to you using a free teranews account - they
put a sig on advertising themselves, so you shouldn't put your own on.
If you want to use sigs, use a better news server...

OK for Tom maybe.

I use Thunderbird*. I access through my company's normal paid
mail/net/web hosting ISP. I peruse r.b.t. on usenet, not through an
ad-based interface.

I have No Additional Charge Internet access bundled with my rent from
Trinicor Technology which ultimately uses AT&T/SBC DSL lines. Usenet
feed is NOT part of the services, as far as I can tell [1].

My sig file is a Notepad text file with a carriage return after each line.

Same thing here.

[* I liked Netscape Mail better, but the teenage geniuses here tell me
I'm supposed to want Thunderbird]

What is the difference? Functionally and appearance wise, they are about
the same.

[1] My total documentation is the Trinicor help line number.

Old August 10th 07, 12:55 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_442_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
Clive George wrote:

The sig problems are due to you using a free teranews account - they
put a sig on advertising themselves, so you shouldn't put your own
on. If you want to use sigs, use a better news server...

Ah, ha! By (Clive) George, you've solved the case.

That doesn't make sense - only the first separator should matter [1].

[1] Works this way for Thunderbird.

Old August 10th 07, 01:12 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Sornson

Bill Sornson wrote:
Clive George wrote:

The sig problems are due to you using a free teranews account - they
put a sig on advertising themselves, so you shouldn't put your own
on. If you want to use sigs, use a better news server...

Ah, ha! By (Clive) George, you've solved the case.

That doesn't make sense - only the first separator should matter [1].

[1] Works this way for Thunderbird.

I see your sig in gray (faded), too. BUT, I think most newsreaders only
delete the text after the /last/ separator. (See how your sig appears
above, which the auto-ad is gone?)

Bill "you're delaying my nap time" S.

Old August 10th 07, 01:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_443_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
Clive George wrote:

The sig problems are due to you using a free teranews account - they
put a sig on advertising themselves, so you shouldn't put your own
on. If you want to use sigs, use a better news server...
Ah, ha! By (Clive) George, you've solved the case.

That doesn't make sense - only the first separator should matter [1].

[1] Works this way for Thunderbird.

I see your sig in gray (faded), too. BUT, I think most newsreaders only
delete the text after the /last/ separator. (See how your sig appears
above, which the auto-ad is gone?)

Bill "you're delaying my nap time" S.

I think Sorni's problem is that he is using micro$oft Outlook Express,
which has some weird functions. Or the problem could be with micro$oft
MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138.

Old August 10th 07, 01:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Sornson

Bill Sornson wrote:
Clive George wrote:

The sig problems are due to you using a free teranews account -
they put a sig on advertising themselves, so you shouldn't put
your own on. If you want to use sigs, use a better news server...
Ah, ha! By (Clive) George, you've solved the case.
That doesn't make sense - only the first separator should matter
[1]. [1] Works this way for Thunderbird.

I see your sig in gray (faded), too. BUT, I think most newsreaders
only delete the text after the /last/ separator. (See how your sig
appears above, which the auto-ad is gone?)

Bill "you're delaying my nap time" S.

I think Sorni's problem is that he is using micro$oft Outlook Express,
which has some weird functions. Or the problem could be with micro$oft
MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138.

I think Johnny's problem is that he's reverting to third-person
people-addressing! LOL

Bill "like, whatever, dude" S.

Old August 10th 07, 01:58 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
A Muzi

"RonSonic" wrote:
Moderate Democrats know he's the only Dem to get elected to two full
terms since
television and love him for it. Unfortunately they're allowing their
party to be
dragged off by the same collection of leftover hippies, rage junkies
and protest
sex addicts that's been losing all those other elections for them.

Clive George wrote:
Oooh, so the Democrats are full of protest sex addicts? Where do I join
up? (What does a protest sex addict do? Lots of shagging while saying
"ban the bomb" and the like?)

Been there. Done that. You didn't miss much.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org