odds for TDF

Old June 22nd 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

Default odds for TDF

Cadel Evans 1.45 @
Alejandro Valverde 2.10 @
Denis Menchov 2.20 @
Damiano Cunego 3.25 @
Andy Schleck 3.75 @
Carlos Sastre 4.25 @
Stijn Devolder 6.75 @
Juan Mauricio Soler Hernández 8.50 @

This is reasonably accurate...except I don't think Cunego and Sastre
will place that high. And I would replace A. Schleck with Kirchen. And
move Valverde ahead of Evans the wheel sucker.

So it could look like this:

Valverde
Evans
Menchov
Devolder
Kirchen
Soler
Sastre
A. Schleck
F. Schleck
Monfort

Andre

Old June 22nd 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

On Jun 22, 12:05*pm, Andre wrote:
Cadel Evans 1.45 *@
Alejandro Valverde 2.10 *@
Denis Menchov 2.20 *@
Damiano Cunego 3.25 *@
Andy Schleck 3.75 *@
Carlos Sastre 4.25 *@
Stijn Devolder 6.75 *@
Juan Mauricio Soler Hernández 8.50 *@

This is reasonably accurate...

The accuracy of these odds cannot be assessed. You mean it looks good
to you.

except I don't think Cunego and Sastre
will place that high.

These are win odds, so it doesn't really have that much to do with how
high a guy will place. Perhaps the person who set these odds thinks
Cunego is a good prospect to win, but will DNF otherwise. the odds
don't have to reflect consistency.

And I would replace A. Schleck with Kirchen.

Not after Saturday, you shouldn't.

And
move Valverde ahead of Evans the wheel sucker.

Wheelsucking can win races, if you suck the right wheels.

-rj
Old June 23rd 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

This is reasonably accurate...except I don't think Cunego and Sastre
will place that high. And I would replace A. Schleck with Kirchen. And
move Valverde ahead of Evans the wheel sucker.

No, I think they have the Evans/Valverde thing correct. Evans has a very
cool head on his shoulders, and he'll do what needs to be done. Valverde is
far more likely to overdo it and blow up. Give Valverde a year or two. For
the time being, Evans is the "safe" bet, and this is a betting line, after
all.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old June 23rd 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Jun 22, 10:59*am, ronaldo_jeremiah
wrote:
On Jun 22, 12:05*pm, Andre wrote:

Cadel Evans 1.45 *@
Alejandro Valverde 2.10 *@
Denis Menchov 2.20 *@
Damiano Cunego 3.25 *@
Andy Schleck 3.75 *@
Carlos Sastre 4.25 *@
Stijn Devolder 6.75 *@
Juan Mauricio Soler Hernández 8.50 *@

This is reasonably accurate...

The accuracy of these odds cannot be assessed. *You mean it looks good
to you.

Dumbass -

They set odds based upon how they think people will bet. It doesn't
necessarily have anything to do with how the oddsmakers think the
riders will actually perform.

They want an even distribution of betting dollars relative to the odds
so that they make money no matter who wins.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old June 23rd 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Keith

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 17:37:34 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

This is reasonably accurate...except I don't think Cunego and Sastre
will place that high. And I would replace A. Schleck with Kirchen. And
move Valverde ahead of Evans the wheel sucker.

No, I think they have the Evans/Valverde thing correct. Evans has a very
cool head on his shoulders, and he'll do what needs to be done. Valverde is
far more likely to overdo it and blow up. Give Valverde a year or two. For
the time being, Evans is the "safe" bet, and this is a betting line, after
all.

Based on the Dauphiné, Valverde has either made big ITT progress or
he's in excellent shape, he's a better climber than Evans too.

That Kreunzinger guy who just won the TDS is pretty impressive too,
might be a big surprise if he can last in the race.
Old June 23rd 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

On Jun 22, 1:59*pm, ronaldo_jeremiah
wrote:
On Jun 22, 12:05*pm, Andre wrote:

[...]

Actually these were top ten odds.
Old June 23rd 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

wrote:

On Jun 22, 12:05*pm, Andre wrote:

Cadel Evans 1.45 *@
Alejandro Valverde 2.10 *@
Denis Menchov 2.20 *@
Damiano Cunego 3.25 *@
Andy Schleck 3.75 *@
Carlos Sastre 4.25 *@
Stijn Devolder 6.75 *@
Juan Mauricio Soler Hernández 8.50 *@

This is reasonably accurate...

The accuracy of these odds cannot be assessed. *You mean it looks good
to you.

Dumbass -

They set odds based upon how they think people will bet. It doesn't
necessarily have anything to do with how the oddsmakers think the
riders will actually perform.

They want an even distribution of betting dollars relative to the odds
so that they make money no matter who wins.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Dumbass -

I know that. (Still, it's a good point.)

Presumably, the bettors' mental models of who should win are based in
reality; therefore, the betting lines based on how people would bet
should approximate the odds one would create if one was simply
intending to model reality.

So, my point is still the same - to say the odds "look accurate" is
technically imprecise. One can only compare them to one's own mental
model of the odds, because the actual probabilities are unknown and,
in this case, unknowable.

-rj

Old June 23rd 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

On Jun 22, 8:27*pm, Andre wrote:

Actually these were top ten odds.- Hide quoted text -

Andre -

No way those are top ten odds. They look like win odds. Besides,
what bookmakers offer top ten odds? (That's not to say they couldn't,
just that it would be unusual.)

What is your source for these?

-rj
Old June 23rd 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

wrote:

On Jun 22, 12:05 pm, Andre wrote:
[...]

You are assuming a well informed, dispassionate betting public.

That is not a good assumption. People bet for many reasons, some of them
ignorant and emotional. Name recognition plays into these odds at least
as much the likelihood of winning.
Old June 23rd 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Jun 22, 8:18*pm, Fred Fredburger
wrote:

You are assuming a well informed, dispassionate betting public.

That is not a good assumption. People bet for many reasons, some of them
ignorant and emotional. Name recognition plays into these odds at least
as much the likelihood of winning.

Dumbass -

I agree.

Anecdote: a friend of mine actually makes money at gambling, most of
it on college football. He'll make value bets vs. the teams that have
the most passionate, most numerous fans (pre-2007 Notre Dame for
instance), waiting till they go against a quality unknown opponent
with a small fanbase and Notre Dame will get something like 5
touchdowns in the spread. The reason he's able to beat the bookies'
take over time is self-evident.

He's not taking money from the bookies though. The bookies just want
an equal amount of money on both sides of any spread. He's taking it
from the overly rabid fans of the big school.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

odds Andre Racing 1 January 27th 08 01:01 AM
odds Andre Racing 0 July 6th 07 03:05 AM
Odds ronaldo_jeremiah Racing 0 June 27th 06 08:53 PM
odds Andre Racing 1 February 19th 06 10:23 AM
OMG, what are the odds? Frugal Joe Mountain Biking 14 June 30th 05 04:27 AM