Cycling and vegetarianism

Old August 31st 04, 10:23 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-08-31, PK wrote:
If vegetarianism is a moral issue then fish always seems to me a strange
choice. Over fishing is a major issue world wide and the way they are killed
is not particularly humane.

Lamb seems to me a better choice, reared as an almost feral animal in most
parts of the world on land not suitstable for crops or cattle eg here in the
uk the main sheep areas are the Welsh hills and the lake disrtict.

No, it wasn't a moral issue. It was a health issue. Now I'm realizing I
need more protein.

Preston
Old August 31st 04, 10:26 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-08-31, neil0502 wrote:
tofu

Something I might consider eating more of, definitely. In this context
(i.e. easy to use) we'd be talking about Tofu slices or something. Soy
slices.

soy milk

Stomach didn't tolerate it well. Tried it.

beans

I eat my fair share of those, but on a daily basis it's hard to eat a lot
of those. I find it necessary to find other sources.

cheese

I'm partially lactose-intolerant so I'm trying to cut back on cheese.

nuts
seeds

These sources are okay, but tend to be fatty. I know fat is good for you,
but I don't think getting my protein from cashews is the answer. It leaves
no room for getting fat in other places.

yogurt

I eat that every day.

veggies (like brussel sprouts and potatoes)

Check.

eggs

Check.

supplements (bars, powders)

You'll also want to understand a little about 'complete proteins.'
Here. check this out: http://snipurl.com/8s1y

I thought the whole thing about "complete proteins" was debunked.

Thanks for the info.

Preston
Old August 31st 04, 10:26 PM
Preston Crawford

Old August 31st 04, 10:38 PM
Roger Zoul

Kevan Smith wrote:
:: On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:24:05 -0500, Preston Crawford
:: from wrote:
::
::: I've foudn it hard, as busy as I am, to get enough protein to feel
::: good, especially as I ramp up my mileage. So last summer I started
::: eating fish again after being a vegetarian for 5 years. I'm
::: thinking of starting turkey again. I think between turkey and fish
::: and egg whites and yogurt I should be good to go in terms of
::: protein.
:::
::: Has anyone here struggled with this issue? Do you think I'm doing
::: the right thing or do you think I should consider trying sources
::: like soy before turkey? The main reason for choosing turkey is
::: because of its ease of use as a protein source at work. Throw
::: together a quick sandwich and theres 20% of my protein for the day,
::: you know.
::
:: Most people eat too much protien.

How do you know this?

It's not hard to get adaquate
:: protein for cycling while maintaining a vegetarian diet. I've been
:: doing it for six+ months now, and I'm riding better than ever.
::
:: What I do is look for items with added protein -- cereals, breads,
:: etc ... Also, since I sweat so much, I dopn't worry about sodium
:: intake, and thta opens the door to things like flavored ground soy
:: products, Hormel vegetarian chili and other high-sodium products
:: with plenty of protein. Soy is better than turkey, for sure -- less
:: trans-fats, no cholesterol in soy.

Trans-fats are in turkey? Cholesterol in turkey? Gosh.

::
:: For good, protien rich recipes, try this: http://www.goveg.com/
::
::
:: --
:: Kevan Smith
::

Old August 31st 04, 10:41 PM
Roger Zoul

Preston Crawford wrote:
:: On 2004-08-31, neil0502 wrote:
::: tofu
::
:: Something I might consider eating more of, definitely. In this
:: context (i.e. easy to use) we'd be talking about Tofu slices or
:: something. Soy slices.
::
::: soy milk
::
:: Stomach didn't tolerate it well. Tried it.
::
::: beans
::
:: I eat my fair share of those, but on a daily basis it's hard to eat
:: a lot of those. I find it necessary to find other sources.

Lay off the grains and beans...

::
::: cheese
::
:: I'm partially lactose-intolerant so I'm trying to cut back on cheese.
::
::: nuts
::: seeds
::
:: These sources are okay, but tend to be fatty. I know fat is good for
:: you, but I don't think getting my protein from cashews is the
:: answer. It leaves no room for getting fat in other places.

Walnuts are a great source of omega3 fats -- but as with all nuts, they are
calorie dense...

::
::: yogurt
::
:: I eat that every day.
::
::: veggies (like brussel sprouts and potatoes)
::
:: Check.

You don't get much protein from most veggies -- good fiber, though. ditch
the potatoes.

::
::: eggs
::
:: Check.

turket breast, too.

::
::: supplements (bars, powders)
:::

Old August 31st 04, 10:53 PM
neil0502

a couple more fairly informative links:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...e/protein.html

Bon apetit!

Old August 31st 04, 10:53 PM
neil0502

Old August 31st 04, 11:31 PM
Mrs X

"Preston Crawford" wrote in message
I've foudn it hard, as busy as I am, to get enough protein to feel good,
especially as I ramp up my mileage. So last summer I started eating fish
again after being a vegetarian for 5 years. I'm thinking of starting
turkey again. I think between turkey and fish and egg whites and yogurt I
should be good to go in terms of protein.

Has anyone here struggled with this issue? Do you think I'm doing the
right thing or do you think I should consider trying sources like soy
before turkey? The main reason for choosing turkey is because of its ease
of use as a protein source at work. Throw together a quick sandwich and
theres 20% of my protein for the day, you know.

Have you tried things like tofu sausages or mashed tofu and Mayo
sandwiches?
Do you have Quorn where you are?