Upgrading old 7-speed hub

Old October 13th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

Default Upgrading old 7-speed hub

In article
,
landotter wrote:

On Oct 13, 11:04*am, mnbikecommuter wrote:
On Oct 12, 9:14*pm, Clayton wrote:

7, or any other such nonsense... and if I could find a 7 speed
"brifter", I'd buy it and be done with it. *But that ain't gonna
happen (they did make an el-cheapo Tiagra 7-speed lever several years
ago, but it is not up to the quality of the rest of my bike and it's
not available anymore anyway).

It's not Utegra, but it's not Tiagra either...

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Sora-S...ters/dp/B000A7...

A quick google search shows replacement 9spd Tiagra brifters available
for a pretty set price of $105 *per side*.

One may object for aesthetic reasons, but you only need one side.

Old October 13th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 13, 11:48*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

*landotter wrote:
On Oct 13, 11:04*am, mnbikecommuter wrote:
On Oct 12, 9:14*pm, Clayton wrote:

7, or any other such nonsense... and if I could find a 7 speed
"brifter", I'd buy it and be done with it. *But that ain't gonna
happen (they did make an el-cheapo Tiagra 7-speed lever several years
ago, but it is not up to the quality of the rest of my bike and it's
not available anymore anyway).

It's not Utegra, but it's not Tiagra either...

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Sora-S...ters/dp/B000A7....

A quick google search shows replacement 9spd Tiagra brifters available
for a pretty set price of $105 *per side*.

One may object for aesthetic reasons, but you only need one side.

True that. Lefts will be available for a long time. If the OP's bike
has downtube shifters, one can build up the brake lever under the hood
to match the bulk of the brifter with some bar tape and use friction
front shifting and brifter rear. Practical and pretty darn cheap.