Campy Compatibility questions . .

Old April 19th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

Default Campy Compatibility questions . .

I'm looking at a bike that has 2000 Campy Chorus 10sp components
with a 53/39 crank. If I buy the bike I'd like to put on a compact
50/34
crank. I've not used Campy before and have a few basic questions
about compatibilty:
1. Do I have to use a Campy crank or can I use a Shimano?
2. Do I have to use Campy chains or do SRAM, Wipperman and other
generic 10sp chains work?
3. If I stay with the Campy shifters & derailleurs but put a new
compact crank in the front will the Campy Front derailleur work ok?
4. Must I stay with (expensive) Campy cassettes or can I use Sram or
Shimano 10sp cassettes? I need an 11-26 or 11-28 which Campy
doesn't offer.

thanks to all . .

Old April 19th 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Apr 19, 10:51*am, RS wrote:
I'm looking at a bike that has 2000 Campy Chorus 10sp components
with a 53/39 crank. *If I buy the bike I'd like to put on a compact
50/34
crank. *I've not used Campy before and have a few basic questions
about compatibilty:
1. Do I have to use a Campy crank or can I use a Shimano?
2. Do I have to use Campy chains or do SRAM, Wipperman and other
generic 10sp chains work?
3. If I stay with the Campy shifters & derailleurs but put a new
compact crank in the front will the Campy Front derailleur work ok?
4. Must I stay with (expensive) Campy cassettes or can I use Sram or
Shimano 10sp cassettes? *I need an 11-26 or 11-28 which Campy
doesn't offer. *

thanks to all . .

Question 1: Go ahead, it will work. But check ebay- you see a lot of
NOS 2006 Campy parts on closeout there. Campy used a different BB than
Shimano back then, so if you can keep your existing one, all the
better. Or if you want to go outboard bearing, the 2007/8 Veloce or
2007-9 Centaur UT cranks look great in polished aluminum, and will
look at home with the rest of the groupset.

Question 2: Any 10-speed chain will work with any 10-speed group. My
favorite is the KMC they were selling at Performance Bike, frequently
on sale for $20. Get the cheapest chain you can stand to look at.

Question 3: Double FDs work fine with compact cranks.

Question 4: Shimano and SRAM 10-speed cassettes shift fine with Campy
10-speed setups, if you center the chain on one of the middle cogs, so
that any cumulative errors are half of what they'd be if you'd
centered on one of the outer cogs. The bigger issue, though, is that
Campy cassettes have a different spline pattern than Shimano & SRAM,
so you'd either need a new wheel or a new Hyperglide-compatible
freehub body (which Campy makes) for the existing wheel.

Campy cassettes aren't that expensive, if you know where to get them.
ProBikeKit.com in the UK usually has Veloce cassettes for $40 ($60 for
the 11t ones, because it comes with a smaller lockring; the 12/13 ones
assume you'll use the one that came with the hub) and shipping within
the UK or to the US is free. If the 11-25 isn't close enough to an
11-26 for you, get a 13-29 too, and make a combo you like, since
they're all loose cogs. You could have an
11-12-13-15-17-19-21-23-26-29 if you went that route. It would still
be cheaper than that freehub body+Shimano cassette, and MUCH cheaper
than a new wheel.

Good luck!
Old April 19th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Apr 19, 11:57*am, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:51*am, RS wrote:

[...]

Here's a 2006 Veloce 50-34 for under fifty bucks, brand new:

http://tinyurl.com/velocect

You'd need a 110 or 111mm ISO-taper BB (the Chorus double uses a
102mm), but Miche and Token both make inexpensive ones (the Miche
sells for $22 at JensonUSA.com).
Old April 19th 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

In article 9162ca6f-4a4d-443b-9338-
,
says...

On Apr 19, 10:51*am, RS wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your clear information, very helpfull. And reminding me
of the separate spline issue.

Old April 20th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Morten Reippuert Knudsen[_3_]

On 2009-04-19 19:51:56 +0200, RS said:

I'm looking at a bike that has 2000 Campy Chorus 10sp components
with a 53/39 crank. If I buy the bike I'd like to put on a compact
50/34
crank. I've not used Campy before and have a few basic questions
about compatibilty:
1. Do I have to use a Campy crank or can I use a Shimano?

You can use anything you'd like, however Campys Ultra Torqe Compact are
nice and not overly expesive since the bearrings are attached to the
axle and cups are cheap, Mirage is cheap but it has a steel inner
chainring. Veloche has all aluminum chainrings but the Centaur
chainrings are made of better alloys (shifts better and are more
durable) - the price difference between Velche and Centaur (aluminum)
is not great deal. I'd go for a Centaur aluminum CT.

2. Do I have to use Campy chains or do SRAM, Wipperman and other
generic 10sp chains work?

Any chain should work but you will get the best shifting performance
with a Campy C10 ultranarrow chain, a Veloche chain is not particukar
expensive compared to other 10 speed chains.

3. If I stay with the Campy shifters & derailleurs but put a new
compact crank in the front will the Campy Front derailleur work ok?

should work fine

4. Must I stay with (expensive) Campy cassettes or can I use Sram or
Shimano 10sp cassettes? I need an 11-26 or 11-28 which Campy
doesn't offer.

10 speed spacing on SRAM and ShimaNO is not identical to Campy 10 speed.

Get a Campy Mirage Cassette, they are cheap

--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen

"Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic
or two in a month, what's the point of living?"

Old April 20th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Morten Reippuert Knudsen[_3_]

On 2009-04-19 20:57:58 +0200, Hank Wirtz said:

Question 4: Shimano and SRAM 10-speed cassettes shift fine with Campy
10-speed setups,

just remember that the questioners current casette body on the rear hub
won't accept a Shimano or SRAM casette. Go for a Mirage 10 speed
cassette.

Old April 20th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Apr 20, 11:11*am, Morten Reippuert Knudsen
On 2009-04-19 20:57:58 +0200, Hank Wirtz said:

Question 4: Shimano and SRAM 10-speed cassettes shift fine with Campy
10-speed setups,

just remember that the questioners current casette body on the rear hub
won't accept a Shimano or SRAM casette. Go for a Mirage 10 speed
cassette.

Did you even read my next sentence?

"The bigger issue, though, is that
Campy cassettes have a different spline pattern than Shimano & SRAM,
so you'd either need a new wheel or a new Hyperglide-compatible
freehub body (which Campy makes) for the existing wheel. "

And the Mirage name has been discontinued. Most 2009 Veloce parts,
except the ergos, are identical to 2008 Mirage, including the matte
black finish and galvanized cassettes.
Old April 21st 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On Apr 19, 11:51*am, RS wrote:
I'm looking at a bike that has 2000 Campy Chorus 10sp components
with a 53/39 crank. *If I buy the bike I'd like to put on a compact
50/34
crank. *I've not used Campy before and have a few basic questions
about compatibilty:
1. Do I have to use a Campy crank or can I use a Shimano?

Use any crank.

2. Do I have to use Campy chains or do SRAM, Wipperman and other
generic 10sp chains work?

Any 5.9mm/10s chain will work.

3. If I stay with the Campy shifters & derailleurs but put a new
compact crank in the front will the Campy Front derailleur work ok?

Yes it will.

4. Must I stay with (expensive) Campy cassettes or can I use Sram or
Shimano 10sp cassettes? *I need an 11-26 or 11-28 which Campy
doesn't offer. *

Rear wheel is probably Campagnolo so Campagnolo cassettes only PLUS
shimano/sram 10s cogsets are closer spaced and don't like Campagnolo
10s shifting. Get the 11-25, close enough.

thanks to all . .