Campy Rear Derailleur Capacity question

Old April 26th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

Default Campy Rear Derailleur Capacity question

Campy (Chorus) short cage derailleurs state for a double and up to
26 in the rear. Will these actually work with a Campy 13-29
deraiileur or do you have to go with a medium cage Campy?

I'm used to Shimano that uses conservative capacity numbers you
can usually expand on.

Old April 26th 09, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On Apr 25, 11:09*pm, RS wrote:
Campy (Chorus) short cage derailleurs state for a double and up to
26 in the rear. *Will these actually work with a Campy 13-29
deraiileur or do you have to go with a medium cage Campy? *

I'm used to Shimano that uses conservative capacity numbers you
can usually expand on. *

Conservative like all of them. We have had a 53/39, 13-29, demo bike
with a short cage RD for a while, no problem whatsoever. Just make
sure the chain is long enough for big-big, not longer or shorter and
bob's yer uncle.
Old April 26th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Morten Reippuert Knudsen[_3_]

On 2009-04-26 07:09:07 +0200, RS said:

Campy (Chorus) short cage derailleurs state for a double and up to
26 in the rear. Will these actually work with a Campy 13-29
deraiileur or do you have to go with a medium cage Campy?

It depends on your frams deralliur drop. My merlin wont shift to more
than 27 on a short cage Campy 10 speed. On other frames its posible to
shift 29 with a 10 speed short cage (however be aware of the tension on
yor chain!).

Get a medium cage 10 speed rear dearliur, it will shift the 29 without
problems.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen

"Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic
or two in a month, what's the point of living?"

Old April 26th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

RS schreef:
Campy (Chorus) short cage derailleurs state for a double and up to
26 in the rear. Will these actually work with a Campy 13-29
deraiileur or do you have to go with a medium cage Campy?

I'm used to Shimano that uses conservative capacity numbers you
can usually expand on.

Why ask this question? Just get a medium cage RD. It will shift anything
Campy sells. No worries.

Lou
Old April 27th 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

On 26 Apr, 18:48, Lou Holtman wrote:
RS schreef:

Campy (Chorus) short cage derailleurs state for a double and up to
26 in the rear. *Will these actually work with a Campy 13-29
deraiileur or do you have to go with a medium cage Campy? *

I'm used to Shimano that uses conservative capacity numbers you
can usually expand on. *

Why ask this question? Just get a medium cage RD. It will shift anything
Campy sells. No worries.

Because short cage rear mechs were always the snappiest and used by
all who could. With a deep drop rear hanger, the largest sprockets
(40) could be used with a small degredation in shift on the small
sprockets as long as a half shift setup was used. A long cage mech
would take a long time to complete the shift and would be poor on
small sprockets due to a tndency to slip a tooth.

Do modern sprockets help so much to negate the effects of the less
than snappy long cage mech?
Old April 27th 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

RS schreef:

[...]

I.m not talking about a long cage RD, but even then I doubt that
anyone can notice any difference in shifting performance with a well
adjusted modern 9 or 10 speed system. What would be the reason for a
less snappy shifting if the cage is 10-20 mm(?) longer? I understand
the question if you already own a short cage RD, but if you have to
buy one now I don't. Get a medium cage and you can shift anything
Campy sells. Less snappy shifts is bullocks IMHO.

Lou

Lou
Old April 27th 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
--D-y

On Apr 27, 7:15*am, wrote:
(someone asked):
Why ask this question? Just get a medium cage RD. It will shift anything
Campy sells. No worries.

(Nick Plate replied):
Because short cage rear mechs were always the snappiest and used by
all who could. *With a deep drop rear hanger, the largest sprockets
(40) could be used with a small degredation in shift on the small
sprockets as long as a half shift setup was used. *A long cage mech
would take a long time to complete the shift and would be poor on
small sprockets due to *a tndency to slip a tooth.

(and then asked a question of his own):
Do modern sprockets help so much to negate the effects of the less
than snappy long cage mech?

(LH replied):
I.m not talking about a long cage RD, but even then I doubt that
anyone can notice any difference in shifting performance with a well
adjusted modern 9 or 10 speed system. What would be the reason for a
less snappy shifting if the cage is 10-20 mm(?) longer? I understand
the question if you already own a short cage RD, but if you have to
buy one now I don't. Get a medium cage and you can shift anything
Campy sells. Less snappy shifts is bullocks IMHO.

I have a Veloce rear derailleur on a triple bike (medium cage? It's
about 74mm between pulley axle centers). The 8sp Record cassette used
on that bike is 12-23 (someday I'll put some kind of pie plate cog on
there, maybe when we go 9 or 10 speed). The shifting seems fine. It's
raining pretty hard off and on or I'd go A/B between bikes, two others
in the "fleet" that have Record and Chorus short rear derailleurs
mounted on them.

I've ridden that triple bike on competitive group rides over rolling
terrain, meaning lots of shifting at times. That longer-cage rear
derailleur is certainly not a liability IRT snapping shifts without
losing forward momentum when riding tight in a fast group.

Funny, I had a Rally rear derailleur on my touring bikes back in the
early 80's which seemed to work just fine whether on wide-ratio
freewheels or the 12-24 or 12-21's that were normal road use parts.
People would look at it and shake their heads but the reason I changed
to a Super Record rear deraileur was I liked the look of it on my nice
Roberts Club touring bike. That, and the shorties grabbed less brush
when hiking back into the woods for Secret Camping on private land!
g --D-y
Old April 29th 09, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

On 27 Apr, 13:15, wrote:

Do modern sprockets help so much to negate the effects of the less
than snappy long cage mech?

I.m not talking about a long cage RD, but even then I doubt that
anyone can notice any difference in shifting performance with a well
adjusted modern 9 or 10 speed system. What would be the reason for a
less snappy shifting if the cage is 10-20 mm(?) longer?

The closing of the cage to the block during the shift to a larger
sprocket. When the chain rides high on the end of the sprocket tooth
the cage rotates, the shorter cage rotates more, this rotation closes
the distance between the cage's guide and sprocket enabling a
quickshift. This mechanism works well with small or large sprocket
differences. A long cage means the chain does not get flicked to the
larger sprocket with the same determination.