"quick release" chain link that really IS?

Old May 11th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

Default "quick release" chain link that really IS?

I loved the concept of tool free chain breaking initiated (AFAIK) by the
Craig "Super-Link". However, Craig is no more, and all the QRL's I have
seen are either designed to be single use (tool-free installation,
cannot be removed) or are so difficult to remove they require a pair of
pliers to squeeze the plates together, or slide them so they can be
separated, or whatever other method it takes to remove them, which
completely negates the "tool-free" concept.

My question is: Is there a "tool-free removal" bicycle chain link that
really IS tool-free in actual use?

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old May 12th 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TomYoung

On May 11, 3:01*pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
I loved the concept of tool free chain breaking initiated (AFAIK) by the
Craig "Super-Link". However, Craig is no more, and all the QRL's I have
seen are either designed to be single use (tool-free installation,
cannot be removed) or are so difficult to remove they require a pair of
pliers to squeeze the plates together, or slide them so they can be
separated, or whatever other method it takes to remove them, which
completely negates the "tool-free" concept.

My question is: Is there a "tool-free removal" bicycle chain link that
really IS tool-free in actual use?

I've been using the 9-speed SRAM QRL for 7 or 8 years now. At first
I resorted to a home-made tool for removal but, after figuring it out,
haven't used the tool for at least 5 years. The secret is to rest the
chain on the bottom bracket so there's no tension on the link, with
the link on the bottom run of the chain. Then grab the chain with the
right hand 2 or 3 links on either side of the QRL and bring the
fingers together so the QRL is at the bottom of a "U" shaped section
of chain and, with the left hand, press and slide the side links
appropriately to free the link. My chains run pretty clean - road
bike - and I usually remove and re-oil at about 200 - 250 mile
intervals so I can't say how well this technique would work on a
really filthy, dirt-encrusted chain.

Tom Young
Old May 12th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Wal sold a $2 small dimension vise grip. The factory may have burned.
Borrow a grinder, grind the jaws down to a thin - to fit inside the
links, an 8 speed here - and parrot beak shaped to curve around and
grab the rollers.
rag under link, dose link with solvent, PC Blaster, followed with very
light synth oil if available. getting some grit out is positive.
the pliers zap even new tight and grimed links. first time use rolls
the eyeballs back fersure after struggling without the tool.
a factory tool at 10 sheckels ? I have a lotta tools around worth more
than 10 sheckels that as a group are rarely used. Using plier link
removers is orgasmic.

Old May 12th 09, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

TomYoung wrote:
[...]

but but but, the great and mighty jobst brandt says it can't be done so
you [and the rest of us that somehow manage to perform this trick]
/must/ be wrong.
Old May 12th 09, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"It's Chris" wrote in message
[...]

The quick connect that *used* to come with the new Shimano 7900 chain
works wonderfully. Completely tool-less for both installation and
removal. But for reasons unknown, they're no longer shipping with the
chains.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old May 12th 09, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

In article ,
says...

I loved the concept of tool free chain breaking initiated (AFAIK) by the
Craig "Super-Link". However, Craig is no more, and all the QRL's I have
seen are either designed to be single use (tool-free installation,
cannot be removed) or are so difficult to remove they require a pair of
pliers to squeeze the plates together, or slide them so they can be
separated, or whatever other method it takes to remove them, which
completely negates the "tool-free" concept.

My question is: Is there a "tool-free removal" bicycle chain link that
really IS tool-free in actual use?

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

I've used the Connex quick-link of Wipperman/Connex 9sp chains and a 10
sp Connex on a Campy Chorus chain, pretty easy to get open and closed. I
just seem to be out of luck on the SRAM quick-link on 8 and 9 speed chains.
Squeeze it, swear at it, be nice to it, pray, whatever and it just seems to
have a mind of its own. Eventually they come open, eventually.

Old May 12th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On May 11, 4:01*pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
I loved the concept of tool free chain breaking initiated (AFAIK) by the
Craig "Super-Link". However, Craig is no more, and all the QRL's I have
seen are either designed to be single use (tool-free installation,
cannot be removed) or are so difficult to remove they require a pair of
pliers to squeeze the plates together, or slide them so they can be
separated, or whatever other method it takes to remove them, which
completely negates the "tool-free" concept.

My question is: Is there a "tool-free removal" bicycle chain link that
really IS tool-free in actual use?

*- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:http://geocities.com/czcorner

Wipperman, best there is. For 8s, 9s and 10s and hopefully 11s soon.
Old May 12th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On May 11, 11:58*pm, wrote:
Chris Corner wrote:
I loved the concept of tool free chain breaking initiated (AFAIK) by
the Craig "Super-Link". *However, Craig is no more, and all the
QRL's I have seen are either designed to be single use (tool-free
installation, cannot be removed) or are so difficult to remove they
require a pair of pliers to squeeze the plates together, or slide
them so they can be separated, or whatever other method it takes to
remove them, which completely negates the "tool-free" concept.
My question is: Is there a "tool-free removal" bicycle chain link
that really IS tool-free in actual use?

The ones offered are for manual removal, but once used, fine grit
fills the clearance between side plates and inner link so that the
small lateral displacement required to disengage the pins from home
position is blocked. *This can be demonstrated with a new clean chain
and link that ill no longer disengage after substantial riding.

The tools used for this process force the fine grit enough to allow
the pins to rise out of the slight locking recess in the face of the
side plates.

This design became necessary for derailleur clusters with close
clearance between sprockets so small that the old style master links,
whose pins extended out of the side plate, caused interference. *The
old style was easier to open even when dirty, they only required that
one bend the chain to flex the link so that the face plate fell off.

Jobst Brandt

By "old style" I assume Jobst means 8-speed chains. I have only 8-
speed chains on my bikes and all my bikes have enclosed chain cases.
Some of my chains are lubed with White Lightning Dry Wax, some Oil of
Rohloff, and in the past I've lubed with light machine oil (sewing
machine oil). I have several brands of chains. By Jobst's logic, they
should all break easily at the quick chain link.

Of all my chains I've had the best luck getting the quick release
chain link to come off the SRAM chain (apparently contrary to the
experience so far reported in this thread), but even that isn't
consistent enough to call it a successful design.

With the others I've found the QRCL on Connex chains to be the most
obstreperous, and late last year I wrecked two *new* Connex chains
flexing them, trying to get the QRCLs off. Eventually, hours later and
very ****ed-off indeed, I used a standard chainsplitter to make one
chain out of two wrecked chains. Considering the price of the better
Connex chains, that's an expensive way to proceed.

Interestingly, my LBS says, "Inside an enclosed chaincase? You don't
need anything better than a cheap KMC. You'll never get value out of
those rust-proof chains inside a chaincase." Even more interestingly,
my German bike comes with a KMC, though with rustproofing rather than
the plain cheap unproofed type the LBS is talking about.

AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE FLAT QR CHAIN LINK

The alternative is to buy one of those Connex -- and maybe other makes
too -- chains with a sliding spring clip as used on some of the
cheaper chains in the range. The spring clip will probably come off if
a thumbnail is enthusiastically applied to it. A screwdriver will
certainly split it infallibly. I haven't tried it, because I suspect
that as infallibly the spring clip will go flying off into the grass
and be triumphantly carried away by crickets singling as they work.
(In any event, the rubbing of the spring clip will probably wreck my
lightweight, flexible and aerodynamically close-fitting chaincase.)

Which leads us to:

ANDRE JUTE'S ADVICE TO YOUNG BICYCLISTS:
1. Buy an extra mobile phone to carry permanently in your tool kit on
your bike. Feed it the home numbers of the taxi drivers where you
ride.
3. Buy a good chainsplitter. Quick release chain links will develop
your fluency in foul vernacular but will not split chains.

Andre Jute
Relentless rigour will irreparably bend bicycle chains -- Gaius
Germanicus Caesar