Buckets are the new Milk Crate

Old September 29th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Buckets are the new Milk Crate

I made a couple of the "bike buckets" which are also sold ready made,
and nicely finished by Cobbworks, and also described and photographed
by various hippies and bicycle hijinxers online. I took one of my
buckets on a town tour today that was only intended to be to the
pharmacy to pick up some hypertension meds which I probably don't need
any more--and enjoyed the bucket so much, that I took it on a forty
mile tour past the Dupont plant, out to Old Hickory, to a fabric
store, grocery shopping, over many train track crossings--many tests
to see if this here bucket lived up the hype.

It sure did! For one, ya don't have to mess around with closure crap--
just throw your found objects in yer bucket. To keep them from
bouncing out, I used a folded brown grocery bag on top. Get a bag of
groceries? Shove it in, fits perfect! When I was in outlying areas,
the thing was total stealth and kept me safe--I'd left the house in
cuffed jeans, T, and mtb cleats-so the bucket just made me look like
some dumb ****er with a bucket on his bike, not an asshole with
expensive panniers, so folks were really nice in the rednecky parts of
town--like, "hot dang, that boy musta got him a DUI, we better be nice
to him, all he gots is a bike anna bukkit".

I used the Costco detergent buckets, which are a little longer and
shallower than the ones Cobbworks use, but still clear my heels fine
on the back of my rack, and I've got big 46.5 feet. I'm gonna purty
them up tomorrow by gluing some pleather to them to make 'em real
urban and tony, and even emulate the Cobbwork guys and bolt some
straps to the lids for ease of opening.

Seriously a brilliant hack. Grab some bukkits, bolt up some rope
cleats, bungees are cheep at the dollar store and hook yourself up for
$10. Think about it--if ya get a flat--ya can sit on a bukkit and fix
it! They outta sell these things at the Wally World--heck, you could
even keep live bait with ya and go fishing with your bike! Minnows on
one side, cold beer and ice on the other!
Old September 29th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:13:00 -0700 (PDT), landotter
wrote:

I made a couple of the "bike buckets" . . .

[Snip]

Dear Landotter,

Please, buckets are for walruses and elephant seals, not for otters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolrus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bucket_Walrus.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?um=1...ea rch+Images

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 29th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:
I made a couple of the "bike buckets" . . .

[Snip]

Dear Landotter,

Please, buckets are for walruses and elephant seals, not for otters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolrus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bucket_Walrus.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?um=1...ll&q=lolrus&bt...

Your envy is palpable! Make your own!
Old September 29th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 9/28/2008 8:13 PM landotter wrote:

I made a couple of the "bike buckets" which are also sold ready made,
and nicely finished by Cobbworks, and also described and photographed
by various hippies and bicycle hijinxers online.

[snips]

@ lo: Ur bukets bes cool. Cheeps, too.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

Old September 29th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dvt

landotter wrote:
I made a couple of the "bike buckets"...

Hmmmm.... has anyone seen landotter and datakoll together at the same time?

I made bike buckets a while back. They're great for carrying stuff, but
noisy when empty. Mine are *extremely* ugly (I made them out of bright
yellow and red kitty litter buckets with labels that are difficult to
remove). So I leave the buckets off the bike unless I have specific need
for them.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old September 29th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 30, 1:06 am, dvt wrote:
landotter wrote:
I made a couple of the "bike buckets"...

Hmmmm.... has anyone seen landotter and datakoll together at the same time?

I made bike buckets a while back. They're great for carrying stuff, but
noisy when empty. Mine are *extremely* ugly (I made them out of bright
yellow and red kitty litter buckets with labels that are difficult to
remove). So I leave the buckets off the bike unless I have specific need
for them.

SOS pads take that embarrassing admission that you own cats right off!
Mine are now pure white, except for I had to leave on that poor
curious child about to drown on one side.
Old September 29th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

landotter wrote:

dvt wrote:

landotter wrote:

I made a couple of the "bike buckets"...

Hmmmm.... has anyone seen landotter and datakoll together at the same time?

I made bike buckets a while back. They're great for carrying stuff, but
noisy when empty. Mine are *extremely* ugly (I made them out of bright
yellow and red kitty litter buckets with labels that are difficult to
remove). So I leave the buckets off the bike unless I have specific need
for them.

SOS pads take that embarrassing admission that you own cats right off!
Mine are now pure white, except for I had to leave on that poor
curious child about to drown on one side.

I like intrinsic theft protection, and litty litter containers have it
in spades! It's like using a diaper bag to carry your laptop.

I have used a NOS hot pink/black/white zebra-stripe saddle panty to
accomplish a similar effect. Anyone who looked at it stayed at least
two paces back.

Chalo
Old September 29th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 30, 2:00 am, Chalo wrote:
landotter wrote:

dvt wrote:

landotter wrote:

[...]

"Saddle panty". Hahahahahahaha! You should paint on a skid mark for
good measure.

I just sawed off my QR lever with the saddle at the appropriate height
on my util bike.

Old September 29th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
I made a couple of the "bike buckets" . . .

[Snip]

Dear Landotter,

Please, buckets are for walruses and elephant seals, not for otters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolrus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bucket_Walrus.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?um=1...ll&q=lolrus&bt...

Your envy is palpable! Make your own!

Dear Landotter,

Not to brag, but . . .

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...l-don-brag.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 29th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Sep 28, 11:13*pm, landotter wrote:
[snip]
Seriously a brilliant hack. Grab some bukkits, bolt up some rope
cleats, bungees are cheep at the dollar store and hook yourself up for
$10. Think about it--if ya get a flat--ya can sit on a bukkit and fix
it!

That's one of the things that keeps me from buying 'real' panniers.
Having 2 buckets with me is like having a table and chair when I free-
camp while touring.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Buckets

Pinniped milk is lactose-free, btw. Robert Chung Racing 13 March 20th 06 01:53 AM
milk bread? [email protected] Racing 2 July 12th 05 12:58 AM
Sweating buckets on the Quantocks phil Unicycling 5 June 20th 05 06:32 PM
The Milk Float Richard Bates UK 8 October 3rd 03 05:25 PM
Comments on Crate Works Bike Box Tom Nelson General 2 August 27th 03 05:05 PM