Ceramic Bearings

Old October 7th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Brunsman

Default Ceramic Bearings

I'm sure the subject has been hammered flat here before but....

Is there any measurable benefit to ceramic versus steel bearings?

Old October 7th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"Steve Brunsman" wrote in message
I'm sure the subject has been hammered flat here before but....

Is there any measurable benefit to ceramic versus steel bearings?

Thinner wallet for the consumer.

Old October 7th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Martin

I have a set of Hybrid Ceramicsin my Neuvation R28SL3 and I feel they spin
up faster. I coast faster and further that most if not all my riding
buddies. Some of then have the same wheels with standard bearing. So it is
a pretty fair match.

Old October 7th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Steve Brunsman wrote:
I'm sure the subject has been hammered flat here before but....

indeed. google is your friend.

Is there any measurable benefit to ceramic versus steel bearings?

yeah, it's measurable. but it's real small for bearings at our kind of
rotational speeds. if you want them, get them. don't let the whiners
stop you.
Old October 7th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"Jeff Martin" wrote in message
I have a set of Hybrid Ceramicsin my Neuvation R28SL3 and I feel they spin
up faster. I coast faster and further that most if not all my riding
buddies. Some of then have the same wheels with standard bearing. So it is
a pretty fair match.
"Steve Brunsman" wrote in message
I'm sure the subject has been hammered flat here before but....

Is there any measurable benefit to ceramic versus steel bearings?

Just curious, did you swap wheels with your buddies and rerun the coasting
tests to see if it is the wheels that are the factor?

Old October 7th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 03:32:50 GMT, "Steve Brunsman"
wrote:

I'm sure the subject has been hammered flat here before but....

Is there any measurable benefit to ceramic versus steel bearings?

Dear Steve,

A few whacks of the hammer . . .

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...f2dfff89720735

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...bc918e4f07becf

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...4fbcc870f8a04b

Bearing drag is so small that even a huge relative improvement is
unlikely to have much noticeable effect.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 7th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Steve Brunsman wrote:
I'm sure the subject has been hammered flat here before but....

Is there any measurable benefit to ceramic versus steel bearings?

Nope.

This is subject to reevaluation when they introduce ceramic bearing
_races_ for bikes-- but even then it's all certain to vanish in the
noise of much larger losses from aerodynamic forces, tire rolling
resistance, rider technique, chain and sprocket meshing, etc., etc.

Chalo
Old October 7th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 6, 9:32*pm, "Steve Brunsman" wrote:
I'm sure the subject has been hammered flat here before but....

Is there any measurable benefit to ceramic versus steel bearings?

No. From the marketing department in a flat and descending market.
Old October 7th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 6, 11:32*pm, "Steve Brunsman" wrote:
I'm sure the subject has been hammered flat here before but....

Is there any measurable benefit to ceramic versus steel bearings?

Hmm. It might depend on what measuring equipment you use. After all,
there are ways to measure the mass of an electron!

Some good reasons to switch to ceramic bearings are these:

1) If you routinely lose finishing sprints for good prize money, by
0.001 seconds or less;

2) If you routinely get infuriated by "whiners" who use science to
disagree with fashion.

3) If you want to do your part to help the world economy. Spend
lots!

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 7th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 6, 11:40*pm, "Jeff Martin" wrote:
I have a set of Hybrid Ceramicsin my Neuvation R28SL3 and I feel they spin
up faster. *I coast faster and further that most if not all my riding
buddies. *Some of then have the same wheels with standard bearing. So it is
a pretty fair match.

I coast faster and further than most of my riding buddies, too. And
I'm usually on an old Cannondale touring bike with sealed bearing hubs
and a handlebar bag.

I'd be more impressed by a controlled test.

It's well known that bearing friction is minuscule for any well-
maintained bearing. Aero drag, tire flex losses, and
"suspension" (actually, rider-jostling) losses are much more
important. My guess would be that aero differences in the fit of a
rider's jersey would be as important as the difference between ceramic
and steel bearings.

Remember Shimano's aerodynamic rear derailleurs? Riders could "feel"
the improvement there, too, I'm sure!

- Frank Krygowski

Ceramic bearings [email protected] Techniques 30 July 15th 08 04:10 PM
ceramic bearings Rick Roof[_2_] Techniques 13 April 20th 08 05:35 PM
HED on ceramic bearings Dan Connelly Techniques 36 February 28th 07 01:01 AM
ceramic bearings Mr. Les Techniques 2 September 27th 06 05:35 AM
ceramic bearings Mr. Les Techniques 0 September 27th 06 01:20 AM