Help (or suggested resources) for identifying frame?

Old October 8th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Help (or suggested resources) for identifying frame?

On Oct 8, 2:31*pm, " wrote:
On Oct 8, 1:42*pm, "

wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:26*pm, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:28*pm, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:23*pm, "

wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:16*am, " wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could steer me toward identifying this
frame: *http://picasaweb.google.com/DanKMTB/...13298227819986
orhttp://tinyurl.com/4twnqj. *I know the pic isn’t much to go on, I
should have more info this afternoon. *It’s believed to be from the
early to mid 90’s, with a carbon rear triangle or complete carbon
frame, not sure which. *I’ve been looking around and coming up empty.
Any help would be appreciated. *My buddy is going by it again today
and is going to get me any additional info on the frame, names,
badges, etc. *Should I have him get a serial no?

Thanks,

Dan

That looks like the team frame Lotto(I think Lotto) used back in the
1990s. *When Axel Merckx rode for them. *As you say carbon rear
triangle. *Aluminum front. *Or maybe it was just the chainstays, not
the seatstays. *Merckx did the carbon rear different than everyone
else. *Chainstays instead of seatstays. *Colorado Cyclist used to sell
this frame way back when. *When they carried Merckx frames.

Cool, thanks! *Any idea where/how I'd find specs, specifically head
tube size & BB size/thread? *I just "inherited" that frame as a gift
from a friend. *The fork is broken but the frame is supposed to be in
great condition. *From what I hear it was a very high-end frame/fork
set when purchased, I wonder how it compares to my fairly new Lemond
Alpe D'Huez? *Only way I can think of to find out is to build it and
ride it!- Hide quoted text -

Apparently it's a Team SC Easton SC7000. *What looks like a SN but
seems too short to be one is FM-51.
Scandium Taperwall w/ some carbon - my buddy thinks downtube & chain
stay. *Appears to have a euro bb of some sort (he's guessing here
based on size). *Neat. *Now to hunt down the particulars.- Hide quoted text -

The Merckx carbon chainstays were carbon wrapped over the aluminum.
That I remember. *Downtube is aluminum only. *No help on dimensions
other than Merckx followed the Italian sizing method of too short of
top tubes and too long of stems. *Way back when it was the Merckx top
of the line frame for the sponsored race teams. *So it was high end.
This was of course before carbon frames became all the rage.- Hide quoted text -

I've got the frame now, and you appear to be dead-on. *All but the
rear chain stays are scandium aluminum alloy. *The rear stays are
visibly carbon, but if you say that carbon is wrapping alloy I believe
you. *The geometry of the frame does look a touch weird. *The previous
owner was my height, hopefully it’s close enough. *More pics herehttp://picasaweb.google.com/DanKMTB/Merckx#. *I sure would love to
find out an exact year, but that’s the case for at least ½ of my bikes
– part of getting used stuff I guess. *Certainly can’t complain on a
freebie.- Hide quoted text -

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/20...1_4229crx.aspx

http://www.roadbikereview.com/mfr/ed...x.aspx#reviews

Apparently as late as 2002 the Lotto Domo color scheme was still in
use on the Merckx Team SC frame. Like yours.
Old October 8th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 8, 4:24*pm, "
wrote:
On Oct 8, 2:31*pm, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 1:42*pm, "

wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:26*pm, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:28*pm, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:23*pm, "

wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:16*am, " wrote:

[...]

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/20...bike/eddy-merc...

http://www.roadbikereview.com/mfr/ed...D_300034_2493c...

Apparently as late as 2002 the Lotto Domo color scheme was still in
use on the Merckx Team SC frame. *Like yours.- Hide quoted text -

Sweet. Thanks! Now I've just got to figure out this "integrated head
tube" thing, and figure out where to come up with $ for yet another
build.
Old October 9th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Oct 8, 12:46*pm, " wrote:
On Oct 8, 2:18*pm, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

On Oct 8, 10:28*am, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:23*pm, "

wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:16*am, " wrote:

[...]

Use any 1 1/8inch headset, standard type with outboard cups and this
along with all the other Merckx's, from then to today, use the far
superior Italian BB threading......

;-lo- Hide quoted text -

Are you sure about the head set? *Check this picture out:http://picasaweb.google.com/DanKMTB/...71666847538114

Again, appreciate any and all help.- Hide quoted text -

The term "1 1/8 headset" refers to the steerer diameter and not the
diameter of the head tube or bearing seat. That bike probably has a 1
1/8" steerer. Give that a measure and see what it is. -- Jay Beattie.
Old October 9th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 8, 10:50*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:46*pm, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 2:18*pm, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

On Oct 8, 10:28*am, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:23*pm, "

wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:16*am, " wrote:

[...]

1/8" steerer. *Give that a measure and see what it is. -- Jay Beattie.- Hide quoted text -

I don't doubt the 1-1/8th part, it most certainly is 1-1/8th. I was
questioning the "outboard" part.
Old October 10th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Oct 8, 12:46*pm, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 2:18*pm, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

On Oct 8, 10:28*am, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:23*pm, "

wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:16*am, " wrote:

[...]

questioning the "outboard" part.- Hide quoted text -

So would I. That bike probably takes an integrated headset --
although there is such a mishmash of integrated, internal, semi-
integrated, etc. out there that I hazard to make a guess what is
spec'd for that frame. Russell or the shop owners probably know. --
Jay Beattie.
Old October 10th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 8, 12:46*pm, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 2:18*pm, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

On Oct 8, 10:28*am, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:23*pm, "

wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:16*am, " wrote:

[...]

Russell? Haven't seen him posting around here in a while. Maybe I'll
just try to get it by my LBS. Thanks for the reply.
Old October 10th 08, 09:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Oct 8, 12:46*pm, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 2:18*pm, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

On Oct 8, 10:28*am, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:23*pm, "

wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:16*am, " wrote:

[...]

1.65"x25.4=41.91mm. There's the Campy 42mm "Hiddenset" standard, and
the 41mm Cane Creek "Integrated" standard.

Put a gun to my head, and I'd say it's the Campy.
Old October 10th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 8, 12:46*pm, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 2:18*pm, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

On Oct 8, 10:28*am, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:23*pm, "

wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:16*am, " wrote:

[...]

Put a gun to my head, and I'd say it's the Campy.- Hide quoted text -

I think you may be correct. I searched model + your info and came up
with this http://www.bikyle.com/MerckxSale.asp
Granted those are newer, but I'd be surprised if the standard changed
to something else so similar.

So far I know (or at least strongly suspect) the following:
1) "Italian" threaded BB.
2) Campy "hidden" HS. The site I found says it can use Record or
Chorus. I wonder if there is any reason you couldn't use another
model, assuming it was Campy "hidden"? I suppose it doesn't make any
sense to build a bike like this on entry level components, but at the
same time it'll take eons to get built if I buy Record everything. I
also suppose it depends what comes up for deals. Cane Creek makes
headsets compatible w/ the campy hidden thing, plenty of people make
campy compatable BBs, etc.

Again, thanks for the help. Looks like I'm starting to get pointed in
the right direction here.

help needed: identifying the frame, beefy rear triangle geos Techniques 0 September 30th 07 08:17 AM
a suggested compromise [email protected] Mountain Biking 1 August 24th 06 02:29 AM
Suggested Routes Kevin Hughes UK 4 June 11th 06 10:05 PM
Fundraisers suggested for trail Garrison Hilliard Rides 0 June 1st 06 11:52 AM
Revitalizing A.R.B.R - suggested methods War On Error Recumbent Biking 43 November 15th 04 09:24 PM