To fit a seatpost

Old October 8th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gabriele R

Default To fit a seatpost

The problem: a) the seatpost tube of my bicyle (Bianchi C2C Carbon) is
mm 31.6; b) I have still a (nice and new) K-force seatpost of mm 27.2 I
would like to use again; 3) I wouldn't buy another seatpost.
My idea: to insert an aluminum tube mechanically rettified at the lathe
(and cut along to facilitate insertion and adaption) in order to have
the differential thickness to let the 27.2 seatpost exactly fit the 31.6
tube.
Is it crazy?
Has been ever done?
Thanks
Old October 8th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 19:22:15 +0200, Gabriele R wrote:

The problem: a) the seatpost tube of my bicyle (Bianchi C2C Carbon) is
mm 31.6; b) I have still a (nice and new) K-force seatpost of mm 27.2 I
would like to use again; 3) I wouldn't buy another seatpost.
My idea: to insert an aluminum tube mechanically rettified at the lathe
(and cut along to facilitate insertion and adaption) in order to have
the differential thickness to let the 27.2 seatpost exactly fit the 31.6
tube.
Is it crazy?

Not at all.

Has been ever done?

Probably. Seatpost shims are commonly available and are probably (for such
large diffeneces in size) made exactly that way.

If you have the lathe it's a 10-minute job (depending on stock size).
Old October 8th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 8, 12:22*pm, Gabriele R wrote:
The problem: a) the seatpost tube of my bicyle (Bianchi C2C Carbon) is
mm 31.6; b) I have still a (nice and new) K-force seatpost of mm 27.2 I
would like to use again; 3) I wouldn't buy another seatpost.
My idea: to insert an aluminum tube mechanically rettified at the lathe
(and cut along to facilitate insertion and adaption) in order to have
the differential thickness to let the 27.2 seatpost exactly fit the 31.6
tube.
Is it crazy?
Has been ever done?
Thanks

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Performance sells Cane Creek seatpost shims to take a 27.2 post to
31.6 for $7.99. Seems to me this would be a whole lot simpler and
easier than F---ing around making your own.
Old October 8th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

The problem: a) the seatpost tube of my bicyle (Bianchi C2C Carbon) is
mm 31.6; b) I have still a (nice and new) K-force seatpost of mm 27.2 I
would like to use again; 3) I wouldn't buy another seatpost.
My idea: to insert an aluminum tube mechanically rettified at the lathe
(and cut along to facilitate insertion and adaption) in order to have
the differential thickness to let the 27.2 seatpost exactly fit the 31.6
tube.
Is it crazy?
Has been ever done?
Thanks

Dear Gabriele,

You want a 4.4 mm Problem Solvers seatpost shim, which is a slit tube
of the right dimensions with a lip at the top to stop it from falling
down into the seat tube.

The one you want for a 27.2 to 31.6 is second from the bottom he

http://www.trisports.com/problem-sol...post-shim.html

You can just google for "problem solvers" and "shim" and find them:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...i=&safe=images

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 8th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 8, 11:22*am, Gabriele R wrote:
The problem: a) the seatpost tube of my bicyle (Bianchi C2C Carbon) is
mm 31.6; b) I have still a (nice and new) K-force seatpost of mm 27.2 I
would like to use again; 3) I wouldn't buy another seatpost.
My idea: to insert an aluminum tube mechanically rettified at the lathe
(and cut along to facilitate insertion and adaption) in order to have
the differential thickness to let the 27.2 seatpost exactly fit the 31.6
tube.
Is it crazy?
Has been ever done?
Thanks

27.2 to 31.6 shims, ours from QBP, are very common..about $15 or so.
Old October 9th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

aka Russell Seaton wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:22 pm, Gabriele R wrote:
The problem: a) the seatpost tube of my bicyle (Bianchi C2C Carbon) is
mm 31.6; b) I have still a (nice and new) K-force seatpost of mm 27.2 I
would like to use again; 3) I wouldn't buy another seatpost.
My idea: to insert an aluminum tube mechanically rettified at the lathe
(and cut along to facilitate insertion and adaption) in order to have
the differential thickness to let the 27.2 seatpost exactly fit the 31.6
tube.
Is it crazy?
Has been ever done?
Thanks

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Performance sells Cane Creek seatpost shims to take a 27.2 post to
31.6 for $7.99. Seems to me this would be a whole lot simpler and
easier than F---ing around making your own.

Why can you not spell out "Fussing"?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old October 9th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 06:40:34 -0500, Tom Sherman
wrote:

aka Russell Seaton wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:22 pm, Gabriele R wrote:
The problem: a) the seatpost tube of my bicyle (Bianchi C2C Carbon) is
mm 31.6; b) I have still a (nice and new) K-force seatpost of mm 27.2 I
would like to use again; 3) I wouldn't buy another seatpost.
My idea: to insert an aluminum tube mechanically rettified at the lathe
(and cut along to facilitate insertion and adaption) in order to have
the differential thickness to let the 27.2 seatpost exactly fit the 31.6
tube.
Is it crazy?
Has been ever done?
Thanks

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Performance sells Cane Creek seatpost shims to take a 27.2 post to
31.6 for $7.99. Seems to me this would be a whole lot simpler and
easier than F---ing around making your own.

Why can you not spell out "Fussing"?

It's spelled "futzing."
Old October 9th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mister2u

On Oct 8, 1:22*pm, Gabriele R wrote:
The problem: a) the seatpost tube of my bicyle (Bianchi C2C Carbon) is
mm 31.6; b) I have still a (nice and new) K-force seatpost of mm 27.2 I
would like to use again; 3) I wouldn't buy another seatpost.
My idea: to insert an aluminum tube mechanically rettified at the lathe
(and cut along to facilitate insertion and adaption) in order to have
the differential thickness to let the 27.2 seatpost exactly fit the 31.6
tube.
Is it crazy?
Has been ever done?
Thanks

I've used cut up plastic bottles for shims before,with great success.
Old October 9th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Mister2u wrote:
On Oct 8, 1:22 pm, Gabriele R wrote:
The problem: a) the seatpost tube of my bicyle (Bianchi C2C Carbon) is
mm 31.6; b) I have still a (nice and new) K-force seatpost of mm 27.2 I
would like to use again; 3) I wouldn't buy another seatpost.
My idea: to insert an aluminum tube mechanically rettified at the lathe
(and cut along to facilitate insertion and adaption) in order to have
the differential thickness to let the 27.2 seatpost exactly fit the 31.6
tube.
Is it crazy?
Has been ever done?
Thanks

I've used cut up plastic bottles for shims before,with great success.

Ordinarily I wouldn't hesitate to shim a seat post from almost anything,
including plastic, but I'd be leery of doing this with CF since it may
not be as forgiving of concentrated pressure.

Qu-ax reinforced seatpost or Koxx-one pit fighter seatpost??? Uni-Jam Unicycling 42 January 13th 08 12:41 AM
23.4mm seatpost The Phil Techniques 6 December 3rd 06 07:46 AM
Wanted: less girth! (in my seatpost ladies) 23.4mm or 24mm seatpost Keiron Marketplace 1 August 26th 06 02:01 AM
WTB: Chainrings, Seatpost, seatpost collar MStuartev Marketplace 1 August 6th 05 01:35 AM
FS: Strong Japanese seatpost 27.0Strong 200 mm seatpost Fishcatfursmile Marketplace 1 March 22nd 04 01:33 PM