Cleaning a rear derailler

Old March 26th 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Federico Cozzi

Default Cleaning a rear derailler

Hello,
I am cleaning my rear Shimano MTB derailler. I am using a mild
degreaser (kitchen-level stuff) and I plan to lubricate the pivots
with a few drops of WD40.
It originally came with Shimano "green" grease on the spring and this
puzzles me. Is grease really needed there? I can't see its usefulness
on a spring, but maybe I am mistaken - does it protect from wear or
rust?

Thanks,
Federico
Old March 26th 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 26, 1:46*pm, Federico Cozzi wrote:
Hello,
I am cleaning my rear Shimano MTB derailler. I am using a mild
degreaser (kitchen-level stuff) and I plan to lubricate the pivots
with a few drops of WD40.
It originally came with Shimano "green" grease on the spring and this
puzzles me. Is grease really needed there? I can't see its usefulness
on a spring, but maybe I am mistaken - does it protect from wear or
rust?

Thanks,
Federico

Rust preventative is what it is.

I'd recommend a better lubricant than WD40 for your pivots. A light
oil would be a good choice. Engine oil dripped in with a cotton swab
if you're not in the mood to make a purchase.
Old March 26th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

On 26 Mar, 18:46, Federico Cozzi wrote:
Hello,
I am cleaning my rear Shimano MTB derailler. I am using a mild
degreaser (kitchen-level stuff) and I plan to lubricate the pivots
with a few drops of WD40.
It originally came with Shimano "green" grease on the spring and this
puzzles me. Is grease really needed there? I can't see its usefulness
on a spring, but maybe I am mistaken - does it protect from wear or
rust?

If its an external spring, it use is to collect dirt. I prefer to
leave mine clean and see how it gets on. A drop of oil will stay
between the wire and be sufficient to prevent corrosion. A graphited
oil/engine additive or good chain oil is probably best for derailler
pivots. WD40 will not be resilient enough to withstand the pressure
upon the pivots. It's use on bicycles is to remove water after a wet
ride. It is not up to the job of general bicycle lubrication.

TJ
Old March 27th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

WD is deodorized kerosene

dump the deray into a wide moiuth bottle with paint thinnner, cover
and shake. allow to stand then shake.
allow to dry or wipe dry wearing gloves
find another container. shake again using CHOH, denatured (de what?)
CHOH.
drip synthetic valvoline transmission 'oil' onto pivots
or Finish Line wax with teflon 'dry' lube. This doesn't work but why
go against the flow of lemmmings headed toward the cliff right ?
do not oil the outside cover.
tape in the manner of shingles shedding rain - bottom to top - tape
with\ quality electrical tape from Home DePot. wipijng down surgically
with CHOH improves the sticktion.
tapping the deray body, allowing end to hang over pivots without stuck
to...
and yawl have in normal (not Portland) conditions 6 months lube.
on a deore, the barrel gets marine wheel bearing grease. the assemble
comes aparty for cleaning and lube.
Old March 30th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Federico Cozzi wrote:

Hello,
I am cleaning my rear Shimano MTB derailler. I am using a mild
degreaser (kitchen-level stuff) and I plan to lubricate the pivots
with a few drops of WD40.
It originally came with Shimano "green" grease on the spring and this
puzzles me. Is grease really needed there? I can't see its usefulness
on a spring, but maybe I am mistaken - does it protect from wear or
rust?

Is this a troll? You want is greased, so do not degrease it.
Wipe it with a rag. Put a bit of mineral oil on the rag if
you like. WD-40 is not a lubricant.

--
Michael Press
Old March 30th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Mar 26, 6:03*pm, datakoll wrote:
[...]

In Portland, just spray it every day with some cheap lubricant that
comes in an aerosol can until it is covered in grease clods and looks
like it is wearing a bear skin coat. In July, do as stated above. --
Jay Beattie.