Should I Buy a Recumbent?

Old August 30th 09, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Timothy Smith[_2_]

Default Should I Buy a Recumbent?

If Guy Chapman doesn't hate motorists, why does he:

- think drivers who make way for emergency vehicles by going through
red lights should be prosecuted;
- support road pricing and proposed VED increases;
- support speed cameras when he's admitted to knowing that they cost
lives;
- support every anti-motorist measure ever suggested or implemented by
this government?

Well? Why? And Guy, have you ever posted as Lou Knee?

(If you don't like these questions, Guy, you've only got yourself to
blame; it is your actions and your actions alone that have caused
them.)
Old August 30th 09, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

Good question.

A couple of years ago, I was seriously considering it. But, in truth,
they seem just a bit more fuss than they offer in benefits.

I know many people insist that the UCI is responsible for the
more-or-less unchanging shape of the bicycle, but in fact that shape is
already extremely convenient and efficient. It's strong and light, and -
for most people - comfortable.

Daniele
Old August 31st 09, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 30 Aug, 19:57, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:07:05 +0100,

(D.M. Procida) wrote:
Good question.
A couple of years ago, I was seriously considering it. But, in truth,
they seem just a bit more fuss than they offer in benefits.

It's really a matter of what floats your boat. *I loved commuting on
my recumbent. *Yes, it was more faff than my audax bike, but it was
also much more fun, and it reduced my frustration at pushing the wind
back from Henley every day so it gave me more incentive to keep
riding.

I have yet to try it for the commute into Canary Wharf. *I suspect it
is not as practical round town as the Brompton is. *A trike may be
more practical than a bike, what with all the traffic lights and other
stops.

Yes but you can't get through narrow gaps with a trike, such as those
barriers to cycling you often encounter on off-road cycle routes or
between speed cushions or overtaking on the inside of traffic jams.

I too have wondered about getting a recumbent but I already have five
bikes and I was also considering getting an electric, so there is not
much space left unless I leave them covered up in the garden. The
problem I have with standard bikes is a) getting on and off and b)
having to put my foot down to stay upright. Solved by a recumbent.
However, recumbents tend to be longer or wider or both which might
rule out putting them on trains. All round I too find a Brompton to be
the best compromise for town travel.

Doug.
Old August 31st 09, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

D.M. Procida wrote:

A couple of years ago, I was seriously considering it. But, in truth,
they seem just a bit more fuss than they offer in benefits.

I wouldn't want one as my /only/ bike. I wouldn't want one if I still
lived in a tenement and had to carry up the stairs (the length just
makes stairs bloody awkward).

I love to have one for recreational touring, as I just enjoy it more. I
get to see where I'm actually going without having to catch all the
available wind or tell myself to look up the whole time, there's no
weight on my arms, it takes luggage much better without affecting the
handling (all the main weight under the rider right between the wheels
just glues you to the road better).

I know many people insist that the UCI is responsible for the
more-or-less unchanging shape of the bicycle, but in fact that shape is
already extremely convenient and efficient. It's strong and light, and -
for most people - comfortable.

I think those words need a qualifying "enough" after them, rather than
an "extremely" before them, but even with that change it's a fair point.

If I was only allowed one bike for everything it would probably be a
Birdy or a Moulton (tried an AM a couple of weeks ago, and even set up a
bit wrong for me with drop bars lower than I like it was just such a joy
to ride, a lovely machine).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old August 31st 09, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

Peter Clinch wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:

[...]

I do keep meaning on going down to have a go, one of the london parks
rents them out I seem to rember.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old September 1st 09, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

Mike Causer wrote:

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:41:47 +0100
(Roger Merriman) wrote:

Peter Clinch wrote:

If I was only allowed one bike for everything it would probably be a
Birdy or a Moulton (tried an AM a couple of weeks ago, and even set up a
bit wrong for me with drop bars lower than I like it was just such a joy
to ride, a lovely machine).

I do keep meaning on going down to have a go, one of the london parks
rents them out I seem to rember.

Where are you? If it's w1thin reach of Cambridge you are welcome to
try my AM7 and compare it to my Speed Ross SWB 'bent. The older
"F-frame" Moulton is in need of some brazing but I could rustle up
another from a local friend.

I'm not really easy reach though cheers for the offer, I'll roll down to
one of the london parks and have a go.

Pete is right though, if forced to have only one bike it would be a
Moulton AM or one of recent Pashley APBs.

Today I rode my AM7, a 1939 Sunbeam "Light Tourer" (ex-Denis of Grunty
Fen), a 1940's Peugeot, the Sunbeam again, a 1967 Mercian 5-speed, and
my Moulton home. Ahhh, the joys of helping get a display of historic
bikes to Mildenhall and back....

Mike

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Recumbent bar-bag Harley[_2_] Recumbent Biking 1 November 3rd 08 07:57 PM
THAT is a recumbent!!!!! [email protected] Recumbent Biking 8 February 11th 07 05:49 AM
DIY Recumbent Nobody Here UK 0 December 2nd 05 11:19 AM
recumbent but Paul W Recumbent Biking 1 November 23rd 04 10:16 AM
new to recumbent Duram Recumbent Biking 6 September 29th 04 04:51 PM