Headtube or headset sticking ?

Old October 9th 03, 10:21 PM

Default Headtube or headset sticking ?

G'day,

When I push forward on my bars with the front brake on hard the
steerer/headset/head tube sticks. When I pull back it releases then sticks
on the frame side.

How can that be fixed ?

It's done it for a while but I'm not sure which part to lube. The headset is
a needle bearing sealed cartridge and there are 3 stem spacers at the top.
I've tried tightening and loosening the stem retaining bolts but it seems
lower down near the bottom part of the headset.

Help me with my sticky clicking bits please !

--
Tony

ISH

Remove the fish to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸((((º

Old October 9th 03, 10:24 PM

Oh yeah, it's a threadless stem going into a set of Marzocchi Z.2's

Old October 9th 03, 11:28 PM
John Morgan

Help me with my sticky clicking bits please !

mmhmm.

-John Morgan

Old October 10th 03, 08:19 AM

Wow that's weird I just did a google search and I asked this question about
2 years ago too !

Old October 10th 03, 08:44 AM
bomba

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:21:01 +1100, ((((º wrote:

G'day,

When I push forward on my bars with the front brake on hard the
steerer/headset/head tube sticks. When I pull back it releases then sticks
on the frame side.

How can that be fixed ?

It's done it for a while but I'm not sure which part to lube. The headset is
a needle bearing sealed cartridge and there are 3 stem spacers at the top.
I've tried tightening and loosening the stem retaining bolts but it seems
lower down near the bottom part of the headset.

To tighten a loose headset, you need to loosen the stem bolts on the side
of the stem. Then tighten the bolt that goes through the top. Then do
the stem bolts up again.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old October 10th 03, 08:44 AM
bomba

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:19:46 +1100, ((((º wrote:

Wow that's weird I just did a google search and I asked this question about
2 years ago too !

If you've had this problem for the last two years, then there's a
possibility that you've flared your headtube.

Old October 10th 03, 09:27 AM

Ack !, I should add I've tightened the bolt that goes into the star nut so
much the seal on the headset is bent out of shape. Headset still moves under
stress.

The steerer has about 1-2 mm clearance at the top and the top cap isn't
rubbing on it as far as I can tell.

Old October 10th 03, 09:41 AM
bomba

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:23:12 +1100, ((((º wrote:

It's the top part of the aheadset that's slipping, the cup that attaches to
the headtube. It's moving about 1/2 a mm or so. Can that be tightened if the
headtube is still square ?

The headset is all one unit. You tighten the whole thing rather than just
the top or bottom sections. There should be no back and forth movement in
the headset at all, and should be easy to tighten.