29" or 36" with Schlumpf Hub?

Old July 27th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default 29" or 36" with Schlumpf Hub?

osmundo wrote:
What's your set up? New KH frame?

It is currently a 36" Schlumpf ultimate wheel, made up of KH Sclumpf
hub, Stealth Pro rim, Nimbus nightrider tyre. In fact, I guess as
there is nothing for the torque bearing to bolt onto, it makes it more
of a 36" Sclumpf BC wheel.

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details.
Old July 27th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Daytripper63

Ihave a 36 guni and Ilike it but.I am starting to think if you are young
and fearless get the geared 36 since it can be scary fast on one wheel
and at age 45 Idont walk away from falls as easy as I did a few years
ago. I will keep my geared 36 but will probably get a geared KH29 since
I prefer riding single track trails.

--
Daytripper63

The Dictionary is the only place where "Success" comes before "Working"
Old July 27th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

Geared 36"er is the only way to go!

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old July 28th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wolfgang.schaper

It depends on what you are going to do with that guni.
When you are heading for long distance riding on level roads in a flat
area, maybe you want to get a 36 to be faster.
If you are into road racing (unlimited class, RTL for instance), for
sure 36 is the right decision.
If you want to do some offroad riding, or road riding in hilly areas, I
would propose to get a 29. By the way, that's exactly what I got. 36 is
too large for offroad purposes, even in low gear. For steep inclines,
you may vary the crank length, but of course within limits. Regarding
cranks, I am very happy with the KH double hole cranks, as they allow
for very quick and easy crank length changes.
If you have plenty of money, buy both gunis and you are on the save
side

--
wolfgang.schaper
Old July 28th 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

I don't know that I have anything new to offer, but I do have a geared
KH29. The reason I chose the 29 is that it's more suited for technical
offroad trails and climbing the roads in the Santa Cruz mountains, many
of which are steeper than I want to ride with a 36. Geared up, the 29
can be ridden fast enough that a "good" fall will involve tucking and
rolling.

--
phlegm
Old July 28th 08, 10:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peter.bier

I've just built up a geared 29er for my commute to work. I wanted a
29er rather than a 36er so that I can still use it on the odd offroad
ride but my primary use will be the daily commute. In heavy traffic I
think a 36er would be too big and unwieldy.

The 1:1 gear probably wouldn't be as useful on long distance road
riding but for inner city riding it is really handy for intersections
or weaving through pedestrians/tightly packed traffic. It is great to
be able to pop down to the 1:1 gear when you come up to intersections -
you can idle easily on a 29er with 125mm cranks and its a breeze to make
sharp turns. In the 1:1.5 mode turning takes a bit more care.

--
peter.bier

-Peter Bier
Old July 28th 08, 10:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

I got a 29" Schlumpf when there were only a couple of 36" gunis around.
The general consensus at the time is that you shouldn't put the hub in
anything larger than a 29" rim.

These days, 36" Schlupfs are relatively common, and, thanks to their
obvious success at RTL (and now with Chucks 10km world record), I'm
sure they will get more and more popular.

Knowing what I know now, if I had to make the decisions all over again,
I would still go down the 29" route. It's just an all round more
versatile unicycle. Sure, the top speed on flatish terrain isn't as
fast, but in just about every other aspect it is a better unicycle. At
least, for me it is, anyway. ymmv

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
Old July 28th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Wrestling with this very choice (with a hub on order), I'm leaning
toward the 29" guni. Being short (5'6") I find it a much more
comfortable size to free-mount, it's easier to schlep around with, and
XC trails should be a blast in the 1:1.5 gear. Also, I feel a bit too
mortal these days to need to break 20 mph.

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
Old July 28th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

semach.the.monkey wrote:

These days, 36" Schlupfs are relatively common, and, thanks to their
obvious success at RTL (and now with Chucks 10km world record), I'm
sure they will get more and more popular.

STM

We went for a quick marathon practice ride today. I had the chance to
see Sam Wakeling ride a 36" Schlumpf for the first time. It was a very
brief ride....probably 100m or so, but he was pulling away from me quite
easily (I was on a 29" Schlumpf). Put Sam or Dustin Schaap on a 36"
Schlumpf and it will be interesting to see how fast they go. I don't
think many records are safe

This Unicon is still a battle of who can get their Sclumpfs first, but
the next one will be a battle of the 36" Schlumpfs for sure. I'm still
waiting for my 36" Schlumpf frame to arrive, and I know many people who
have one on order.

Old July 28th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
critter

corbin wrote:
Geared 36"er is the only way to go!

Is the Muni Guni an option with the 24" wheel? That would have been my
first choice but I thought I would break a very expensive toy.

I never rode a 36''. I have a 29 guni. I like having gears on both
sides of a 36''. I'm pretty comfortable in the low gear on technical
parts. And I'm glad I'm not higher or faster like the big boys.

--
critter

MUni! The closest I'll ever get to bull riding!