Re E-Bikes?

Old May 18th 10, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lee

Default Re E-Bikes?

Thanks for all the input about electric bikes, I looked around
various forums and learned a fair amount!

Visited a few local cycle suppliers and saw some really beautiful
bikes, Powabike- very good but only 3 models and a tiny "home
made" battery pack that had no security locking device...a couple
of folding bikes that I can`t remember the name of and various
others that were a bit to expensive for a starter e-bike..

One showroom I visited was On Bike of Hanbury Kidderminster,
who were exceptionally helpful and brought out a few for me to
try out, including a Wisper 806fe folding bike which ftted me the
minute I sat on it .... I bought it!! - I had tried a lot of bikes, but
nice as they were, they did nothing for me if you know what I
mean!

Anyway, as the Wisper was only a pedelec, I had doubts, but
I found that the assist meant less effort, I could go further with
less knee pain!

When I got back home with my new prize I fettled the fit and
comfort while re-charging the batterry and went out for a run on
one of my semi local runs that would show up any knee problems
and .... I pedalled all the way..... Result!!!!

Today, a 10 mile run I use for exercise, and to check out the range
of the battery, then all I have to do is source out a spare battery
pack!!

Thanks again.

Lee ... back on the road...

Old May 18th 10, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

lee wrote:

[...]

great stuff, sounds like love at first sit?

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old May 18th 10, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ash

On 18 May, 08:34, "lee" wrote:
[...]

I hate to say this chap, but you have fallen into the same trap as
Doug. The power output on this bike makes it illegal for use under UK
law. You are riding a bike which is producing 20% more power than
permitted and are risking any and all sorts of trouble if you are
either caught by a clued up bobby, or are involved in an accident.
Either way, you risk being taken to the cleaners until the UK and
European law are either harmonised or the existing UK law is repealed
Old May 19th 10, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lee

"Roger Merriman" wrote in message
lee wrote:

[...]

Yes, it sure was but I suppose I will have to source out a 200 watt
motor if I am to remain legal, without having to register it with
DVLA !!!

Lee...

Old May 19th 10, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lee

"ash" wrote in message
On 18 May, 08:34, "lee" wrote:
[...]

Well, yes and no, it may be a 250w motor but the battery does
not output 250w!!! - 9amp x 24volts is 216watts isn`t it?? and
that is constant IF, the system were 100% efficient - which it is NOT!!

permitted and are risking any and all sorts of trouble if you are
either caught by a clued up bobby, or are involved in an accident.
Either way, you risk being taken to the cleaners until the UK and
European law are either harmonised or the existing UK law is repealed -----

That does have me concerned, but so I am to believe, EU Regs
came into force in the UK on Nov 10 2003 regarding 250 watt
motor and NO throttle control, only pedelec ...

Stupid British government don`t seem to be aware or bothered
that the UK is flooded with 250w electric bikes - they can`t
even deport failed bombers, according to last nights news! so
what chance do they stand against an army of illegal pedelecs ..
Maggy would have sorted it.

Heh, heh ... Cheers... We will have to see how the born again
Kray twins fare ;o)

Lee.

Old May 19th 10, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lee

"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message
"lee" considered Tue, 18 May 2010
08:34:31 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Thanks for all the input about electric bikes, I looked around
various forums and learned a fair amount!

Visited a few local cycle suppliers and saw some really beautiful
bikes, Powabike- very good but only 3 models and a tiny "home
made" battery pack that had no security locking device...a couple
of folding bikes that I can`t remember the name of and various
others that were a bit to expensive for a starter e-bike..

One showroom I visited was On Bike of Hanbury Kidderminster,
who were exceptionally helpful and brought out a few for me to
try out, including a Wisper 806fe folding bike which ftted me the
minute I sat on it .... I bought it!! - I had tried a lot of bikes, but
nice as they were, they did nothing for me if you know what I
mean!

Oops - did they warn you that it needs to be registered with the DVLA
before it's legal to use on UK roads?

No, I will be in touch with them later today, Thanks

The motor on that is 20% higher in power than the maximum allowed
under the EAPC regulations, which makes it an electric moped.

Cheers.

Lee.

Old May 19th 10, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

lee wrote:

[...]

I don't think you'd find many police etc very intrested in your illegal
bike.

the law is being a bit of an ass here.

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old May 19th 10, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ash

On 19 May, 08:50, "lee" wrote:
"ash" wrote in message

On 18 May, 08:34, "lee" wrote:

[...]

Lee.- Hide quoted text -

I'm sorry but battery efficiency is irrelevant. A clued up
compensation lawyer would nail an illegal E-bike rider to the wall.
Your argument is as valid as that of a 125cc rider who has
derestricted their 12bhp bike to give anything above that.and is still
riding on L plates. In the case of the machine being impounded and
inspected, the writing would be on the wall. Removing a spark plug on
a 250cc twin doesn't make it a 125cc motorbike, just a very
inefficient 250cc firing on one cylinder!
Old May 19th 10, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lee

"ash" wrote in message
On 19 May, 08:50, "lee" wrote:
"ash" wrote in message

On 18 May, 08:34, "lee" wrote:

[...]

Don`t forget, we are talking motor efficiency too....around 80%??

Regards.

Lee.

Old May 19th 10, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ash

On 19 May, 11:27, "lee" wrote:
"ash" wrote in message

On 19 May, 08:50, "lee" wrote:

"ash" wrote in message

On 18 May, 08:34, "lee" wrote:

[...]

We are getting into the realms of Dougs 'my E-bike has an off road
button allowing it to do 20mph but I never press it so that makes the
bike legal' style argument. It doesn't wash sorry!