First report from RTL

Old June 13th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

Default First report from RTL

and i've gotta say it is windy! I'm in Annapolis Royal and was walking
off the jet lag before breakfast (I waited to get up after the sun
rose, I love jet lag) It's very strong from the east unfortunately...
I can recommend avoiding a company called Cloud Shuttle, a minibus
service operating between Yarmouth and Halifax - even with a prebooking
they'll leave you stranded at the airport to take a couple of buses so
you arrive 5 hours later than planned.
It's a really beautiful place though... very quaint olde worlde town
(more like a large village), with plenty of tourist trinket shops and
realtors.

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
Old June 13th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Just got an email about an hour ago from Dave White, saying he's on the
ferry to Digby. He will try to drive the Day 1 route to see how it
looks and be in town tomorrow I guess. Look out for him! He may be the
unicyclist with the most years of experience in the race. In fact, his
story would probably make for a great article in Uni...

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old June 13th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kiwi in Vermont

Kelly (my wife) and I crossed on the Ferry from Prince Edward Island to
Nova Scotia this morning and made our way to Halifax via the first half
of Day 4 backwards (New Glasgow to Brookfield).

There's only one word that's important to describing the route today:

WINDY !!!

At times it was howling. There were mini dust storms picking up in
fields. You could notice the wind pushing the car around on the road.
I'm all for a challenge, but for me it would have been really difficult
on a Uni.

Good news is it's supposed to be much less windy tomorrow . . . and
other than the wind, the weather is excellent.

See you all soon!

--
Kiwi in Vermont
Old June 14th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Daytripper63

I wish Google Earth was real time so everyone could watch RTL
Good luck to everyone

--
Daytripper63

The Dictionary is the only place where "Success" comes before "Working"
Old June 14th 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Daytripper63 wrote:
I wish Google Earth was real time so everyone could watch RTL

I believe the race will be constantly reported on the RTL web site. I
think the idea was to have realtime mapping of the location of each
team, but not 100% sure about that.

Old June 14th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Daytripper63 wrote:
I wish Google Earth was real time so everyone could watch RTL
Good luck to everyone

Be a lot more exciting to watch than some sports broadcasts! (golf?)

--
MuniAddict

*'www.unigeezer.com' (http://www.unigeezer.com)

*
Old June 14th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

All right, we need to get clear on who we can count on to play the role
of Gossip Columnist for the RTL. We need a Bar Report, and we need one
soon. People started arriving today. Who's been spotted in the hotel
restaurant? Who was drinking with whom in the hotel lounge? Which
unlikely couple was already risking their race by doing post-beer
freestlyle cokering in front of the hotel? Have we seen any former
world record holders, and if so is it clear yet whether they were lying
about their lack of training?

Who's stepping up? Maybe the role can fall by default to whichever
rider was officially "last in". I'm thinking it's either Geoff or
Jeff, which would be cool because then we wouldn't have to strain our
memories too much to remember the name.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...