going compact (maybe)

Old November 2nd 11, 11:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris Taylor[_3_]

Default going compact (maybe)

I wish to go compact on my road bike but wish to spend as little as I can
Just a thought I have altegra 6500 on the bike now. would the HG93 9
speed chain work with the Shimano Ultegra 6650 Hollowtech II Compact
Chainset.
how do I find out if I have English or Italian bottom bracket?
Thanks
Chris
Old November 2nd 11, 01:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 21:17:56 +1100, Chris Taylor
wrote:

I wish to go compact on my road bike but wish to spend as little as I can
Just a thought I have altegra 6500 on the bike now. would the HG93 9
speed chain work with the Shimano Ultegra 6650 Hollowtech II Compact
Chainset.
how do I find out if I have English or Italian bottom bracket?
Thanks
Chris

See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html for help identifying
the bottom bracket shell.

Isn't the Ultegra 6650 a 10 speed set? If so are you going to use a 10
speed cassette? If you do you will likely need to use a 10 speed
chain. If you will use it with a 9 speed cassette you can probably get
by with the 9 speed chain. At least I found I could use either a 9 or
10 speed chain with a Shimano 9 speed Tiagra or Deore crank set and a
9 speed cassette..

--
John B.
Old November 2nd 11, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 2, 4:17*am, Chris Taylor wrote:

how do I find out if I have English or Italian bottom bracket?

One distinct identifier is the threading on the right side BB cup.
That is "left-handed" thread on the English BB,
"normal" threading on the Italian.
DR
Old November 2nd 11, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 2, 5:17*am, Chris Taylor wrote:
I wish to go compact on my road bike but wish to spend as little as I can
Just a thought I have altegra 6500 on the bike now. would the HG93 9
speed chain work with the Shimano Ultegra 6650 Hollowtech II Compact
Chainset.
how do I find out if I have English or Italian bottom bracket?
Thanks
Chris

Post the brand and model. Most bikes are English these days, but if
your bike's name ends in an "i"...

Other brands, like FSA, offer compact cranks at a competitive price to
Shimano, but if your current bottom bracket is still in good shape,
that price advantage may be irrelevant.
Old November 2nd 11, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M5usr[_2_]

On 11/02/2011 11:17 AM, Chris Taylor wrote:
I wish to go compact on my road bike but wish to spend as little as I can
Just a thought I have altegra 6500 on the bike now. would the HG93 9
speed chain work with the Shimano Ultegra 6650 Hollowtech II Compact
Chainset.

I guess you want to swoop to get a bit stiffer crank , right? Otherwise
you could simply go smaller chainrings.

I cannot imagine a 9 speed chain should not slip down over a 10 speed
chain rings . It is the cluster in the back that can give problems , and
I take you are going to keep your 9 speed cluster?

how do I find out if I have English or Italian bottom bracket?
Thanks
Chris

On my 6500 Octalink BB it is stamped on the right cup , what it is .
Mine says BC 1.37 68

good luck
Chris

Old November 3rd 11, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Nov 2, 10:17*am, Chris Taylor wrote:
I wish to go compact on my road bike but wish to spend as little as I can

Bit of a contradiction there. Perhaps you may think again. What
specifically do you need and can you get it with a cluster change?

Just a thought I have altegra 6500 on the bike now. would the HG93 9
speed chain work with the Shimano Ultegra 6650 Hollowtech II Compact
Chainset.
how do I find out if I have English or Italian bottom bracket?

If it's marked BSC it's English, or 24tpi or1.370" or there's a groove
in the lockring. If it's 68mm wide across the shell it's probably
English.

Old November 3rd 11, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Chris Taylor wrote:

I wish to go compact on my road bike but wish to spend as little as I can
Just a thought I have altegra 6500 on the bike now. would the HG93 9
speed chain work with the Shimano Ultegra 6650 Hollowtech II Compact
Chainset.

10-speed chain is narrower (slightly) than 9-speed chain, so there
should be no compatibility issues with a 10-speed crank.

how do I find out if I have English or Italian bottom bracket?

Check out what it eats. If it's nasty, then it's English. If tasty,
then Italian.

Chalo
Old November 4th 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris Taylor[_3_]

On 11/03/2011 09:51 AM, M5usr wrote:
On 11/02/2011 11:17 AM, Chris Taylor wrote:
I wish to go compact on my road bike but wish to spend as little as I can
Just a thought I have altegra 6500 on the bike now. would the HG93 9
speed chain work with the Shimano Ultegra 6650 Hollowtech II Compact
Chainset.

I guess you want to swoop to get a bit stiffer crank , right? Otherwise
you could simply go smaller chainrings.

I can't find smaller Ultegra chainring or I would go down that track.

I cannot imagine a 9 speed chain should not slip down over a 10 speed
chain rings . It is the cluster in the back that can give problems , and
I take you are going to keep your 9 speed cluster?

Yes Correct keeping 9 speed

how do I find out if I have English or Italian bottom bracket?
Thanks
Chris

On my 6500 Octalink BB it is stamped on the right cup , what it is .
Mine says BC 1.37 68

How is the Octalink when I upgrade my bike was thinking of going Octalink

good luck
Chris

Old November 4th 11, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 4 nov, 04:04, Chris Taylor wrote:
[...]

Chris- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

Octalink is an upgrade?

Lou

Old November 4th 11, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris Taylor[_3_]

On 11/04/2011 10:24 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
On 4 nov, 04:04, Chris wrote:
[...]

Ok Lou
I'm looking to chaep upgrade gears or do I gear change to something I
can use more of the gears
I'm Looking at upgrading my frame at a latter date to maybe a baum or
gillies custom as I don't like the feel of carbon and I like a more
laied back angle

Compact chainsets MartinM UK 27 January 24th 06 02:14 PM
Campagnolo compact front derailer with non-compact cranks? Antti Salonen Techniques 1 May 27th 05 02:19 PM
compact geometry [email protected] General 1 March 28th 05 05:49 PM
compact vs non-compact cassette and ring whazit? [email protected] Techniques 3 January 12th 05 02:18 AM
FSA Compact with Campy Triple Changer? Or Double? An Campy Compact when? me Techniques 4 August 22nd 04 01:53 AM