Laughing my ass off

Old August 17th 04, 01:08 AM

Default Laughing my ass off

How's this for unbiased scoring:

Some kinda mens gymnastics/acrobatics/whatever
According to the commentator, the performance was ``badly flawed''

4 judges:
Judge 1 8 points
Judge 2 6 points
Judge 3 6 points
Judge 4 2 points

No prizes for guessing (a) which judge was from the competitor's home country
(b) which judge has a Pocket Full of Roubles for making sure some other nation
wins

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html
Old August 17th 04, 01:14 AM
TritonRider

Date: 8/16/2004 8:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time

How's this for unbiased scoring:

Some kinda mens gymnastics/acrobatics/whatever
According to the commentator, the performance was ``badly flawed''

4 judges:
Judge 1 8 points
Judge 2 6 points
Judge 3 6 points
Judge 4 2 points

No prizes for guessing (a) which judge was from the competitor's home country
(b) which judge has a Pocket Full of Roubles for making sure some other
nation
wins

We should have a pool on which country's judges will get tossed out for
scoring "sports" which are "artistic" after taking bribes, or making deals.
Do they even let Korean's N or S "judge" boxing anymore?
Bill C
Old August 17th 04, 01:39 AM
IMKen

No activity that requires judging should be in the Olympics. Only sports
where you finish first, go the greatest distance or wins without question,
i.e., the opponent drops from fatigue, is out cold or dead.

Ken

Old August 17th 04, 03:37 AM
Carl Sundquist

"psycholist" wrote in message

I always thought ski jumping had an interesting system. Not only do you
have to throw your body 90 meters down a cliff without a parachute ... you
have to come up with a certain number of style points, too.

It's not a cliff.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...icles/jump.htm
Skiers are often not more than 10 feet in the air during the jump, as their
flight curve follows that of the hill. Participants earn points based on
distance and form.

http://www.sofiendalskolen.dk/Comeni...d/urhkesk3.jpg

I've actually seen this one myself! (Coincidentally, at the same stage race
when the whole peloton stopped to take a leak.)

Old August 17th 04, 06:54 AM
Raptor

Carl Sundquist wrote:
"psycholist" wrote in message

I always thought ski jumping had an interesting system. Not only do you
have to throw your body 90 meters down a cliff without a parachute ... you
have to come up with a certain number of style points, too.

It's not a cliff.

It just looks like one from the top. (If you visit SLC, the
athlete-guided tour of the Utah Olympic Park is recommended. Don't do a
self-tour of the place, pay for the real tour.)

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old August 17th 04, 10:03 AM
Donald Munro

Davey_Crockett wrote:

How's this for unbiased scoring:

Some kinda mens gymnastics/acrobatics/whatever
According to the commentator, the performance was ``badly flawed''

Stewart Fleming wrote:
The boxing is worse.

Perhaps our own rbr boxing champ might even have a chance if we can muster
up enough dinero to bribe the judges, although I'm not sure if the IOC
would allow him to flog the fight videos even if it was for charity.

Old August 17th 04, 10:06 AM
Donald Munro

psycholist wrote:
I always thought ski jumping had an interesting system. Not only do you
have to throw your body 90 meters down a cliff without a parachute ... you
have to come up with a certain number of style points, too.

Yes, indeed, Mr. Bettini ... you did cross the finish line first, but we
didn't like the way you were holding your mouth up that last ascent. The
judge from Portugal only gave you a 7.5 and so it looks like you get the
silver medal.

Do you get style points for elegance when giving your federation the
finger ?

Old August 17th 04, 02:09 PM

Donald Munro writes:

Do you get style points for elegance when giving your federation the
finger ?

Jeannie did, metaphorically at every chance she got.

Didn't do her any harm.

Why is it that every budding Power Hungry Would-Be Politico Candidate for any
Office Under the Sun talks about ``WE'' whilst out Lying to the Voterz and
Stuffing the Ballot Boxes to get enough votes to get Elected, and then
once having got their Fat Ass firmly seated in whatever Chair/Bench/Seat they
Coveted, and their Snout and both Trotterz firmly embedded into whatever
Trough their Chair/Bench/Seat gives them access to, some elemental
mathematical Division gets magically applied to the ``WE'' so that it becomes
``US'' and ``THEM'' ?

Way to go Judith.

Davey is proud of you. The ******z need somebody to shout
``Skatos'' in their ear more often.