New Critical Mass forum

Old October 21st 03, 02:21 PM
gagarin

Default New Critical Mass forum

Just to let everyone know that there is a new Critical Mass phpBB
forum at

http://cmforum.florenceart.net/

I hope that it will be useful to better organize and coordinate
Critical Mass in various cities worldwide and perhaps become an
international CM point of reference. So please check it out, spread
the word and if possible put a link to it on your site(s).

P.S. I've also put up a new Critical Mass Florence (Italy) page in
english at
http://www.artisanflorence.it/criticalmass/
Old October 21st 03, 02:29 PM
Doug Huffman

Why not on Usenet where you advertised it?

om...

Old October 22nd 03, 01:19 AM
gagarin

There are many reasons. First of all news servers (incl. google) carry
only a fraction of existing news groups so that rec.bicycles.soc for
e.g. might not be accessible to many people especially those who
access Usenet through their ISPs. This is done in part to save
bandwidth and in part as a form of censorship. Also forums are more
specialized and easily customizable by the user and the admin. Anyone
who's ever used a phpBB is well aware of its advantages. I still think
Usenet is a great thing and don't see why the two shouldn't coexist
but of course the bottom line is – to each his own.

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message . ..
Why not on Usenet where you advertised it?

om...

Old October 22nd 03, 10:26 AM
Doug Huffman

Google.com does not run a 'newsserver'. My newsserver carries about 50,000
news groups. You don't seem to know of what you write.

As you say, 'whatever'.

"gagarin" wrote in message
om...
There are many reasons. First of all news servers (incl. google) carry
only a fraction of existing news groups so that rec.bicycles.soc for
e.g. might not be accessible to many people especially those who
access Usenet through their ISPs. This is done in part to save
bandwidth and in part as a form of censorship. Also forums are more
specialized and easily customizable by the user and the admin. Anyone
who's ever used a phpBB is well aware of its advantages. I still think
Usenet is a great thing and don't see why the two shouldn't coexist
but of course the bottom line is - to each his own.

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message

. ..
Why not on Usenet where you advertised it?

om...

Old October 22nd 03, 06:58 PM
gagarin

There are a lot more news groups than 50 000 and as I said many ISP
news servers dond't carry even that many. All I'm trying to do is
provide a free service that I think might be useful to some people and
i don't see the need to bicker about it. I don't care what you think
about my knowledge and you can have the last word if you wish.

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message ...
Google.com does not run a 'newsserver'. My newsserver carries about 50,000
news groups. You don't seem to know of what you write.

As you say, 'whatever'.

"gagarin" wrote in message
om...
There are many reasons. First of all news servers (incl. google) carry
only a fraction of existing news groups so that rec.bicycles.soc for
e.g. might not be accessible to many people especially those who
access Usenet through their ISPs. This is done in part to save
bandwidth and in part as a form of censorship. Also forums are more
specialized and easily customizable by the user and the admin. Anyone
who's ever used a phpBB is well aware of its advantages. I still think
Usenet is a great thing and don't see why the two shouldn't coexist
but of course the bottom line is - to each his own.

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message

. ..
Why not on Usenet where you advertised it?

om...

Old November 1st 03, 07:14 PM
Jym Dyer

First of all news servers (incl. google) carry only a
fraction of existing news groups so that rec.bicycles.soc
for e.g. might not be accessible ...

=v= For what it's worth, the rec.* hierarchy is well-established
and honored by most, including Google Groups. Mostly it's
groupsin the alt.* hierarchy that get censored. Years ago, I
tried to get {rec|alt}.bicycles.critical-mass going, but the
Usenet detractors outnumbered the supporters in those days.

=v= A worldwide Critical Mass forum already exists he

A Yahoo! Group sends the messages to you by email and/or lets
you read them on the web, "message board" style. Which is nice
if you prefer one over the other.
_Jym_

P.S.: Personally, I prefer handling messages in a mail/news
app of my own choice to some wrist-wrecking point/drag/click
interface on the web.

Old April 12th 10, 12:47 AM
Stephen304 Stephen304 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagarin View Post
Just to let everyone know that there is a new Critical Mass phpBB
forum at

http://cmforum.florenceart.net/

I hope that it will be useful to better organize and coordinate
Critical Mass in various cities worldwide and perhaps become an
international CM point of reference. So please check it out, spread
the word and if possible put a link to it on your site(s).

P.S. I've also put up a new Critical Mass Florence (Italy) page in
english at
http://www.artisanflorence.it/criticalmass/
I know that was a long time ago, but there is no main CM forum. That forum is down. I can host a forum if anyone wants. I can't use usenet, i have no clue how and i think you have to pay for it right?
There doesn't see to be any global critical mass forum so i thought i could make one, 20 gigs of bandwidth should do the trick.

P.S. The yahoo forum sucks, no categories or ways to organize information and separate topics. The main advantage of a forum is structure. Yahoo groups lacks just this.

Done: http://www.CMForum.co.cc/

Last edited by Stephen304 : April 17th 10 at 02:08 AM.