Riding on Ice!

Old December 25th 08, 09:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Default Riding on Ice!

Maybe I am a sasquatch from Saskatchewan...

And in other news I am back, it is cold and I love it!

'Here is a tutorial'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67113) I wrote since
last time I replied to this thread, now everyone go stud your tires and
get back outside.

and merry Christmas.

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 25th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
catinabag1

i took my coker out on the ice in oregon (amazing we got ice i know) and
it did really well. i only have a ribbed tire but didn't slip at all. i
almost cause an accident cause people were looking at me instead of
riding and couldn't stop cause of the ice. stupid people.

--
catinabag1

Why does a chicken coup have two doors?

Because if it had four, it'd be a chicken sedan.
Old December 25th 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

naturequack;1157095 wrote:
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to post a pic of what my friend
in Portland, Oregon is doing to ride in the snow. Pretty simple
solution. It might not work well in ice. Side slippage perhaps? I
haven't tried it out since I live 300 miles south.
He says:
I took some galvanized cable and just wrapped it around the wheel.
Clamped the two ends with a cable clamp and Voila.

works great, no slipping.

who in portland do you know?

catinabag1;1157608 wrote:
i took my coker out on the ice in oregon (amazing we got ice i know) and
it did really well. i only have a ribbed tire but didn't slip at all. i
almost cause an accident cause people were looking at me instead of
riding and couldn't stop cause of the ice. stupid people.

I've been riding out in the snow on my 36'er with TA tire and it rides
really well with no chains or studs in the tire but corners and
stopping/slowing on downhills causes quite a bit of slipping.
Freemounting is hit or miss but can be done. Nasty UPD's can result from
large mounds of lumpy snow.

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
Old December 25th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

I've been doing skinnies on snow wet surfaces today, it was good fun
with some spectacular bails. A helmet is highly recommended.

Then later on I was riding on ice, it was fine until I tried to stop
abruptly and slide around for a bit. The unicycle slipped out
immediately and I flopped straight on my back. But it was good.

I need to fix my rim ASAP so I can ride again.

--
ivan

Did you know that lighter flame smells like burnt nose
hair?entropy isn't what it used to be.
Old December 26th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

THe past 2 days I hit "black ice" on the road and the Coker slipped out
sideways so fast, my hips hit the ground and I was sliding before I knew
I was down.

It's a drag.

I've been riding in snow for 35 years and never recall this happening.

I'm wondering if my reflexes are getting old or what.

--
BillyTheMountain

All the lower animals are Atheist, which proves reason actually has
nothing to do with Atheism.-Raphael

Rocks are atheists, air is an atheist.-DisgruntledDave
"you had no faith to lose to begin with" Bob Dylan sang these words to
my dog
Old December 28th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
naturequack

Ducttape;1157629 wrote:
who in portland do you know?

I know lots of people in Portland. Dozens and dozens. If I were to
really scrape the bottom of the barrel, probably one or two hundred
people. Plus a few dogs. And cats. I used to know some rats who lived
there too. How many of them should I list?
You are probably most interested in the owner of the unicycle with the
cable wrapped around the wheel. That's Ben. He lives in a real house
made of wood that is not behind a Taco Bell. His house is in South East
Portland not far from Hawthorne. I'll leave it to him to divulge any
more identifying details. If it weren't for him I never would have
learned to build igloos like the ceiling of one that you can see in my
avatar. We're going to build some more together in a couple weeks.

Geoff

--
naturequack

monocycle monstrosity
Old December 28th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

naturequack;1159425 wrote:
I know lots of people in Portland. Dozens and dozens. If I were to
really scrape the bottom of the barrel, probably one or two hundred
people. Plus a few dogs. And cats. I used to know some rats who lived
there too. How many of them should I list?
You are probably most interested in the owner of the unicycle with the
cable wrapped around the wheel. That's Ben. He lives in a real house
made of wood that is not behind a Taco Bell. His house is in South East
Portland not far from Hawthorne. I'll leave it to him to divulge any
more identifying details. If it weren't for him I never would have
learned to build igloos like the ceiling of one that you can see in my
avatar. We're going to build some more together in a couple weeks.

Geoff

cool, so he's on the forums? I live in SW Portland about a mile and a
half from the Oregon zoo, in a real house, not behind taco bell, a kind
family decided to take me in for the winter.

Old December 28th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Emile.m

unisykolist;1157407 wrote:
off topic: Hey i now know what a saskwatch is...i found the mystery of
your name yayayayayay :d you look just like one.

lol!!

--
Emile.m

Team UDC Canada
visit www.municycle.ca

2nd *)---TreFlip-'O,

M'y galler' (http://tinyurl.com/23w828)y (hum, 07/08 winter footage
only)
Old December 28th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gtdrummer

Well I saw the pics of the leaf covered test ride and started to
think... instead of camo, perhaps a bit of modding could result in a
leaf-picker-upper unicycle apparatus. Just a thought

--
gtdrummer
Old December 29th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
naturequack

Ducttape;1159434 wrote:
cool, so he's on the forums?

Not yet. That's why I posted for him. Maybe if he realizes what a
celebrity he has become because of his ingenious wheel cable, he'll join
the forums. Maybe he'll continue to use me as his proxy and live out
his years in happiness and obscurity.

Geoff

--
naturequack

monocycle monstrosity

Riding Rigid, Riding One Gear GeeDubb Mountain Biking 11 December 20th 06 02:49 AM
My 6yo son is riding! David_Stone Unicycling 12 July 11th 06 03:50 PM
Riding Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 14 January 8th 06 03:48 PM
Speed averages between trail riding and road riding Brian Walker General 5 September 21st 05 12:39 AM
There's no riding like snow riding... Jonesy Mountain Biking 5 January 3rd 04 04:26 AM