Giraffe Discussion Thread

Old November 23rd 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tNt9trip

Default Giraffe Discussion Thread

3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMJmuaTBrR8

Now if only someone can teach me more tricks to do! I'm so afraid of
trying to do a seat pullout on the giraffe :\

--
tNt9trip

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
Old November 24th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
blueharmony

I was wondering about unicycling on a treadmill, now I know!

--
blueharmony

_________
- Kenny
-unicycle for yourself-
Old November 24th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniSano

I know giraffe riders have done this, but I'm thinking about swapping
out the stock cog that was installed on my wheel with something with far
fewer teeth. I have a fixed gear mountain bike that I used to ride and
so I have an assortment of cogs available. My question is about how far
down is it safe to gear my 5' giraffe with 20" wheel? I believe the
crankset/cog has 32 teeth, do you think I can go 2:1? I'll try it
anyways but just was interested if somebody has already tried gearing
down that far (or more).

--
MuniSano
Old November 24th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MT High

MuniSano;1136979 wrote:
I know giraffe riders have done this, but I'm thinking about swapping
out the stock cog that was installed on my wheel with something with far
fewer teeth. I have a fixed gear mountain bike that I used to ride and
so I have an assortment of cogs available. My question is about how far
down is it safe to gear my 5' giraffe with 20" wheel? I believe the
crankset/cog has 32 teeth, do you think I can go 2:1? I'll try it
anyways but just was interested if somebody has already tried gearing
down that far (or more).

I tried gearing my short giraffe (about 4') with a 20" wheel and 2:1
ratio. I think the cranks were 125mm. I was fairly young at the time
and my legs were not very well developed so I had to get a push start to
get going and once I started heading down the hill I could not stop
without jumping off or sliding my hands along a wall to slow down.
Hardly safe but now that my legs are stronger and can handle a 36'er ok
I think it would be alright.

--
MT High
Old November 24th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

2:1 is a lot. I'd start with something like 1.5:1 if you have a cog in
that range, then work up from there. I used to ride my Schwinn Giraffe
with something like 48:28 (whatever that is). *-Very-* difficult to
freemount or ride slow, but you could cruise along pretty fast once you
got going (and long as you really paid attention)!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old November 24th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kevinalexandersmith

johnfoss;1137315 wrote:
48:28 (whatever that is)

That's 12:7
or about 1.7:1
fast for a uni for sure!

--
kevinalexandersmith

http://www.youtube.com/user/KevinAlexanderSmith
Old November 25th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniBrier

'2:1 or 40\"' (http://tinyurl.com/6xwtuq) equivalent is 'rideable'
(http://tinyurl.com/5jsysa).

--
UniBrier

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
Old November 27th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
camrocl

I’m hoping someone can help me.

I bought a Nimbus Performer (the 5ft to 7ft) one at the start of the
summer. After one or two goes the pedal feel out of its socket (luckily
I wasn’t on it). Problem was a faulty crank. Anyway I got this replace
for free and after a bit of fiddling with the fine adjustment settings
finally got the 2 chains at the same tension. Riding was fine for the
next while.

I took it out again today as it hadn’t seen light in a while. I built
it up and climbed on. When cycling there is a loud clicking noise. It’s
not the chains being to tight but I can’t see what it is. I was thinking
the wheel bearings but would this be possible? Anyone any other ideas?

Thanks

C. Long

--
camrocl
Old November 27th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sxbud138

ah,pedal or crankbearing ?

--
sxbud138
Old December 27th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Connahhh

Any tips on mounting? I just got a Nimbus 5ft for Christmas.

--
Connahhh