is cycling on the pavement sensible

Old January 22nd 11, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor A Panther[_3_]

Default is cycling on the pavement sensible

copied from another place!

Simon Mason wrote:

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
Clearly cycling on the footway is illegal under Section 35 of the
1835 Highways Act (as is pushing a handcart such as a supermarket
trolley on the footway). But legality aside, is it sensible for
someone without the skills or confidence to cycle on the carriageway
in busy traffic?

By and large, the police seem to turn a blind eye to children on the
pavement. Around here are 3 schools where many children make their
way home cycling on the pavement and the local paper boys do so as
well. Quite a few adults however have been fined for pavement
cycling. I think if plod forced all kids onto the roads and one was
killed they would be heavily criticised for it, so they tend to be
lenient on children, but will fine adults.

I think that's the same in many places, certainly is round here
(Doncaster) except in designated pedestrian only shopping centres and
even there they're pretty lenient.

I doubt there'd be much of an issue for anyone if 'they' cycled on the
pavement sensibly. The trouble comes when dickwads, mostly teens on
BMX's it seems round here, speed about, practising wheelies, endoes and
jumping off kerbs and drive ends ..

--
Paul - xxx

The 2 biggest problems I see in the Doncaster /South Yorkshire area are

1.School children ( ie up to mid teens or more) creating a nuisance by
riding erratically on the pavement and also just depositing their bikes flat
on the ground. It seems that bikes are no longer designed to be leant
against a wall or fence.

2. Adult pavement riders-- commuting to work or shop. I would say than on
any day I see more adult cyclists on the pavements rather than on the roads!
I see all too often "POB's" cycling in busy pedestrian areas with little
regard for the many people on foot. Mind you, there are quite a number of
shared use routes leading out of town which are a menace caused by erratic
pedestrians with their prams/dogs /children. But since they are never
cleaned ( I have seen debris and broken glass in situe for literally years
and has never been cleared!) ---so I stay firmly on road 2 metres from the
gutter 98% of the time. In pedestrian areas I dismount and push.

If all the pavement riders were on the roads it would, I believe, help
create a "cycling" presence which would rapidily make motorists aware!
From
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Old January 23rd 11, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Jan 22, 3:10*pm, "Trevor A Panther" wrote:
copied from another place!

Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

Exactly a point made by Critical Mass! Unfortunately its only for a
couple of hours once a month instead of every day. It would not make a
jot of difference to motorists if individual pavement cyclists
ventured onto dangerous roads.

"Met backs children cycling on pavements after Mayor’s plea in safety
row"

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-safety-row.do

Also I have read somewhere else that a bike with wheels smaller than
16" is not classed as a bicycle and is therefore allowed on pavements.
Can anyone verify this?

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Pavement cycling Marie UK 18 August 10th 10 06:55 PM
Safety:- Cycling on the pavement v cycling on the road. soup UK 20 April 8th 07 12:00 PM
Pavement cycling Paul Boyd UK 23 July 29th 06 10:38 PM
Cycling on the pavement Anthony Cox UK 17 November 30th 04 03:16 PM
Cycling on the pavement Stoatboy UK 8 January 22nd 04 07:46 PM