Only in America

Old February 3rd 04, 07:15 PM
[Not Responding]

Default Only in America

Get fit the American way...

http://www.646industries.com/mt/beyo...es/000070.html
Old February 3rd 04, 07:27 PM
burt

"[Not Responding]" wrote in message
Get fit the American way...

http://www.646industries.com/mt/beyo...es/000070.html

Fantastic, thanks for posting this. I'm still tittering.

Old February 3rd 04, 09:37 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:15:05 +0000, "[Not Responding]"
wrote:

http://www.646industries.com/mt/beyo...es/000070.html

Perfect :-D

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old February 3rd 04, 09:41 PM
Bernard

"[Not Responding]" wrote in message
Get fit the American way...

http://www.646industries.com/mt/beyo...es/000070.html

How do you know they are not walking up the down escalator?

Old February 4th 04, 03:46 AM
mark

"[Not Responding]" wrote ...
Get fit the American way...

http://www.646industries.com/mt/beyo...es/000070.html

Didn't you post something yesterday about your wife needing a car to travel
..75 mile to the gym?
--
mark

Old February 4th 04, 08:26 AM

On 4-Feb-2004, "mark" wrote:

Didn't you post something yesterday about your wife needing a car to
travel
.75 mile to the gym?

I use a gym which is in the grounds of an estate. It amuses me to see
members struggling to park, on a bend, as close to the entrance to the gym
as possible. There is a large carpark about 40 feet away.

The gym is 7 miles from my house and even the staff are impressed that I
cycle there. I don't tell them that I have often gone the long way round
and tripled the mileage.

--
replace deadspam with btinternet to reply
Tom Anderson
Old February 4th 04, 09:13 AM
[Not Responding]

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 03:46:14 GMT, "mark"
wrote:

"[Not Responding]" wrote ...
Get fit the American way...

http://www.646industries.com/mt/beyo...es/000070.html

Didn't you post something yesterday about your wife needing a car to travel
.75 mile to the gym?

True; I did post something along those lines but it's something I live
with rather than defend! Secondly, I don't recall using the word
'need' at all
Old February 4th 04, 04:47 PM
mark

"Chris Malcolm" wrote
On my first visit to the US the conference was held in a hotel, and
the recommended residence was a hotel in the adjacent block. Being a
poor British academic I stayed in a cheap flea pit about 4 miles away,
and being a curious sightseer I walked to the conference hotel,
arriving early.

I met some other early arrivers. They had been taking their morning
fitness exercise. This consisted of dressing up in running gear,
driving one block from the residence hotel to the conference hotel,
parking, running round the conference block, having a shower, changing
into their conference clothes. This wasn't an isolated person, there
were several folk who independently all did this.

They were awed to discover I had walked *4* *miles*, and clearly
considered that such a feat of endurance required a degree of fitness
well beyond their meagre accomplishments.
--
Chris Malcolm

I thought academic conferences were held at ski resorts?

The visitors from the UK that I encounter in my part of the US seem to span
the same range of fitness as Americans, be they academic conference-goers or
anyone else. Cycling, walking, or (horrors!) dr*v*ng past the nearest major
US university, I see plenty of students, faculty, and staff out running who
look quite capable of covering *4* *miles* or more without too much
difficulty.

I find it odd that people on this NG so often describe Americans as an
obese, car dependent lot, when your own postings so often suggest that the
UK is hell-bent on following the US down the same path.
--
mark

Old February 4th 04, 04:56 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:47:23 GMT, mark wrote:

I thought academic conferences were held at ski resorts?

Only the winter ones. The summer ones are usually at beach resorts ;-)

The visitors from the UK that I encounter in my part of the US seem to
span
the same range of fitness as Americans, be they academic
conference-goers or
anyone else. Cycling, walking, or (horrors!) dr*v*ng past the nearest
major
US university, I see plenty of students, faculty, and staff out running
who
look quite capable of covering *4* *miles* or more without too much
difficulty.

I find it odd that people on this NG so often describe Americans as an
obese, car dependent lot, when your own postings so often suggest that
the
UK is hell-bent on following the US down the same path.

Precisely, we're following. And, we have to have a nation to compare
ouselves favouably to.

Colin
Old February 5th 04, 12:27 AM
Sarissa

Now that's clever - a multi-person stairmaster in the fresh air!

Sarissa