Ouch - 'first bike' nicked

Old April 26th 07, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Default Ouch - 'first bike' nicked

Not my bike, one of the shop's.

A scrote wandered out pushing a £2,000 bike and (unsurprisingly) never
returned. Busy shop, understaffed[1], a colleague unlocks a bike and
wheels it off the display to show to a customer. Moves on to another bike
a few metres away without locking it back up and the scrote strolls into
action.

This is bad enough in a normal business, but the chain is owned by about 60
workers[2] so it's a bit like nicking just over £30 from every single one
of them. New! Improved! security measures are now in place to stop his
friends from doing the same, and matches and kindling[3] have been
distributed to staff.

The New! Improved! measures are working - two customers on test rides were
within seconds of being chased down after a couple of colleagues forgot to
wave them off from the front door.

[1] recruiting now if you're interested...

[2] the rest in the business not having worked full time for a year.

[3] What happened to the bullets? Bike thieves don't get the luxury.
Old April 27th 07, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Mark Thompson wrote:
Not my bike, one of the shop's.

A scrote wandered out pushing a £2,000 bike and (unsurprisingly) never
returned. Busy shop, understaffed, a colleague unlocks a bike and
wheels it off the display to show to a customer. Moves on to another bike
a few metres away without locking it back up and the scrote strolls into
action.

This sounds like it could be a distraction job.
The customer may have just been pulling your attention away from his
accomplice who road off on the bike.

I suggest getting a set of them rf/rfid[1] detectors by your doors, and
put a sticker on each bike to set off an alarm.

[1] like in HMV etc.

Martin.
Old April 27th 07, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 00:27:57 GMT, Martin Dann
wrote:

A scrote wandered out pushing a £2,000 bike and (unsurprisingly) never
returned. Busy shop, understaffed, a colleague unlocks a bike and
wheels it off the display to show to a customer. Moves on to another bike
a few metres away without locking it back up and the scrote strolls into
action.

This sounds like it could be a distraction job.
The customer may have just been pulling your attention away from his
accomplice who road off on the bike.

I suggest getting a set of them rf/rfid[1] detectors by your doors, and
put a sticker on each bike to set off an alarm.

I had great fun is Sainsburys last month when the checkout assistant
failed to deactivate the tabs on my new razor blades.

The alarm went off and I was instantly surrounded by burly shelf
stackers and security guards demanding to search my purchases. When I
refused this indignity, while a little voice at the back piped up,
"Look, it's Mr Crispin!" there was little they could do.

Anyway, moving back on topic, I made my get-a-way by calmly unlocking
my bike and cycling home.
Old April 27th 07, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

This sounds like it could be a distraction job.
The customer may have just been pulling your attention away from his
accomplice who road off on the bike.

Possibly, although we think it was just opportunism on the part of the
thieving scum - there're pricier bikes they could have targetted.

I suggest getting a set of them rf/rfid[1] detectors by your doors, and
put a sticker on each bike to set off an alarm.

It's been suggested, but declined for various (prolly poor) reasons by the
company. The main thing we're now doing is, apart from a higher level of
awareness, escorting test riders to the door and 'waving' them off. The
idea being that anyone wheeling something nice and shiny out of the door
without a member of staff by their side will be checked.

Roll on RFID tags on everything thobut.

Old April 27th 07, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Mark Thompson wrote on 27/04/2007 07:20 +0100:
This sounds like it could be a distraction job.
The customer may have just been pulling your attention away from his
accomplice who road off on the bike.

Possibly, although we think it was just opportunism on the part of the
thieving scum - there're pricier bikes they could have targetted.

Unlikely. Do you think they were just hanging around all day waiting
for an opportunity or did they manufacture an opportunity?

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old April 27th 07, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Unlikely. Do you think they were just hanging around all day waiting
for an opportunity or did they manufacture an opportunity?

I'll ask what the other person was like, but as it isn't thought it was a
distraction job I'm assuming the other person was a perfectly respectable
chap. It'd be like that Mr. Crispin nicking razor blades and using his
school children to cover him

Old April 27th 07, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Mark Thompson wrote on 27/04/2007 07:47 +0100:
Unlikely. Do you think they were just hanging around all day waiting
for an opportunity or did they manufacture an opportunity?

I'll ask what the other person was like, but as it isn't thought it was a
distraction job I'm assuming the other person was a perfectly respectable
chap.

Yes, they're good at it.

Old April 27th 07, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Mark Thompson wrote:

[1] recruiting now if you're interested...

Applicants at least 2m tall and 2m wide with martial arts experience
preferred... ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 27th 07, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ziggy

On 27 Apr 2007 06:47:53 GMT, Mark Thompson
pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote:

Unlikely. Do you think they were just hanging around all day waiting
for an opportunity or did they manufacture an opportunity?

I'll ask what the other person was like, but as it isn't thought it was a
distraction job I'm assuming the other person was a perfectly respectable
chap.

Did the other person buy anything?

Old April 27th 07, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 26 Apr, 22:55, Mark Thompson
pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote:
Not my bike, one of the shop's.

Wot no CCTV?

You ever had your bike nicked? [email protected] UK 5 February 4th 07 11:07 AM
nicked bike dave Australia 1 June 13th 06 01:52 PM
Boris gets his bike (half) nicked Not Responding UK 32 February 4th 05 10:17 PM
Cyclist's bike nicked during trp Vivian UK 0 August 21st 04 11:24 AM
Residen't comittee almost nicked my BIKE! Swines! ShavyDave UK 8 October 9th 03 12:55 AM