height profile for route

Old May 6th 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben

Default height profile for route

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way of producing height profiles for planned
cycle routes? I know I can use memorymap, but it's for a ride from
London to Paris and buying all the map tiles would be extremely
expensive. I know map data is not cheap, so it may be back to the
paper maps...

Cheers,

Ben

Old May 6th 07, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Scandrett

Ben wrote on 06/05/2007 10:18:
Does anyone know of a way of producing height profiles for planned
cycle routes? I know I can use memorymap, but it's for a ride from
London to Paris and buying all the map tiles would be extremely
expensive. I know map data is not cheap, so it may be back to the
paper maps...

www.gmap-pedometer.com has some elevation profiles, but whether it will
have all of it I don't know. It's not perfect, but it gives the gist of it.

I use it for keeping track of what I cycle - eg

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=837715

I don't know where the elevation data comes from and you might find
another google map app that does it better, but it's a start...

HTH

Peter

--
http://www.scandrett.net/lx/
http://www.scandrett.net/bike/
Old May 6th 07, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

http://www.sanoodi.com

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old May 6th 07, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben

On 6 May, 10:37, Tony Raven wrote:
Ben wrote on 06/05/2007 10:18 +0100:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way of producing height profiles for planned
cycle routes? I know I can use memorymap, but it's for a ride from
London to Paris and buying all the map tiles would be extremely
expensive. I know map data is not cheap, so it may be back to the
paper maps...

Cheers,

Ben

http://www.sanoodi.com

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Hi Tony,

That one looks good. I've been using the marengo gpx route planner
(http://www.marengo-ltd.com/map/), which is absolutely awesome, but
doesn't show height profiles. Ideally I'm looking for something that I
can upload my gpx route to and view the resulting profile, but I
realise I may not be able to both have and eat my cake :-)

Cheers,

Ben

Old May 6th 07, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dan Gregory

Ben wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way of producing height profiles for planned
cycle routes? I know I can use memorymap, but it's for a ride from
London to Paris and buying all the map tiles would be extremely
expensive. I know map data is not cheap, so it may be back to the
paper maps...

http://www.bikely.com/
(see my evening ride as an example)
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...y-Circuit17896
and
http://www.toporoute.com/routePlanner.html
based on Google so you have to scroll across to Europe Toporoute does
follow roads so you don't have to enter waypoints - example of one I did
on toporoute and put on bikely
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...s-de-covadonga
Enjoy your ride
Dan Gregory
Old May 6th 07, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Ben wrote on 06/05/2007 10:45 +0100:

Hi Tony,

That one looks good. I've been using the marengo gpx route planner
(http://www.marengo-ltd.com/map/), which is absolutely awesome, but
doesn't show height profiles. Ideally I'm looking for something that I
can upload my gpx route to and view the resulting profile, but I
realise I may not be able to both have and eat my cake :-)

Sanoodi shows height profiles and has a contour map view on the Google
mapping to help choose your route. Once you've saved a route you can
download it to GPX and you can also link points on your route to your
Flikr photos. Uploading of GPX files is also catered for. So it looks
like its eating cake day!

Old May 6th 07, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
graham

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Ben wrote on 06/05/2007 10:18 +0100:
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way of producing height profiles for planned
cycle routes? I know I can use memorymap, but it's for a ride from
London to Paris and buying all the map tiles would be extremely
expensive. I know map data is not cheap, so it may be back to the
paper maps...

Cheers,

Ben

http://www.sanoodi.com

--

Thanks for the link! I've just used it to plot the profile of a route in
the Canadian Rockies that I've ridden a couple of times. It looks

Old May 6th 07, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Randell

Dan Gregory wrote:
Ben wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link to Toporoute. I've been using Bikely for a while now
and the road following feature in Toporoute seems to be just the thing for
capturing the little twists and turns which can get missed.

Nigel

Old May 7th 07, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Nigel Randell
') wrote:

Dan Gregory wrote:
Ben wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way of producing height profiles for planned
cycle routes? I know I can use memorymap, but it's for a ride from
London to Paris and buying all the map tiles would be extremely
expensive. I know map data is not cheap, so it may be back to the
paper maps...

http://www.bikely.com/
(see my evening ride as an example)
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...y-Circuit17896
and
http://www.toporoute.com/routePlanner.html
based on Google so you have to scroll across to Europe Toporoute does
follow roads so you don't have to enter waypoints - example of one I
did on toporoute and put on bikely
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...s-de-covadonga
Enjoy your ride
Dan Gregory

Thanks for the link to Toporoute. Â*I've been using Bikely for a while now
and the road following feature in Toporoute seems to be just the thing

for
capturing the little twists and turns which can get missed.

I played with both yesterday (Linux, both Konqueror and Firefox) Toporoute
worked extremely well for short routes, but beyond a certain point - I
don't know whether it's number of waypoints, number of junctions, or just
distance - it locks up. Also, the elevation button remained greyed for me
all the time and never ungreyed. Does it work better with Internet
Exploder?

Sanoodi is obviously more primitive but Just Worked[tm].

/-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
|-| can report this issue to our security team. Would you like to
| | * Be completely ignored (default)?
| | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
\_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem on your own phone bill?
Old May 7th 07, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Simon Brooke wrote on 07/05/2007 08:46 +0100:

I played with both yesterday (Linux, both Konqueror and Firefox) Toporoute
worked extremely well for short routes, but beyond a certain point - I
don't know whether it's number of waypoints, number of junctions, or just
distance - it locks up. Also, the elevation button remained greyed for me
all the time and never ungreyed. Does it work better with Internet
Exploder?

Sanoodi is obviously more primitive but Just Worked[tm].

I was looking to see if there was a way to export a GPX from Toporoute
into Sanoodi but there doesn't seem to be an export function. There is
a GPX button but its greyed out. I didn't have your problem with a 100k
route except that there were multiple points on the elevation profile
that created script errors. I had to switch off the refresh function to
stop the warnings popping up after every few waypoints added. Using
Firefox.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

changing bike seat height or handle bar height [email protected] Techniques 14 February 28th 07 08:51 PM
How much does Seat Height effect hopping Height? unisteez Unicycling 0 May 11th 06 01:57 PM
profile height of bike tyres gjt70 UK 3 January 4th 06 12:28 AM
Route profile from (or to) Como over the Ghisallo Chris M Racing 1 April 6th 05 02:55 AM