Your first race next season

Old October 16th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike G[_3_]

Default Your first race next season

In article
,
LawBoy01 wrote:

I can't wait until the road racing season starts up again. I'm gonna
puke on the hills of Lago Vista during the 35+ 4/5 race at La
Primavera (my first race of next season), but it's still gonna be fun.

What are the rest of you going to take on for your first race of the
upcoming season? What are you doing now and/or do you plan to do to
get ready for that first race (besides doping)?

Walburg and Pace Bend before that.

Lago is a fun race. I'll be there on the moto. See you there.

Mike G.
-
Old October 16th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"LawBoy01" wrote in message

I thought about selling my second road bike (a Hans Schneider frameset
that I bought new early this year, just stripped down and had built up
with NOS/VCG Dura Ace bits, including some NOS hubs laced 3x - and
tied and soldered for the looks - to some Mavic tubular rime). If I
do that, I might buy a CX bike. I've never raced CX before. I could
keep my Schneider, and have Hans braze some cantilever mounts on the
frame, but I'd have to get a new fork 'cuz 25c tires are a tight fit
under the fork crown.

Here's a bit of advice - don't. Almost all semi-modern and modern bikes are
way too short wheelbased and too tight in the rear chainstays. You can get a
pretty fair sum for the Hans Schneider on Ebay and buy a LOW END Surly if
you like steel or Redline if you're willing to use aluminum.

Unless you're racing in the pro ranks going for an ultra-light cross frame
is counter productive. You can gain far more time learning to race 'cross
properly than trying to buy it with a 10% lighter bike.

Old October 16th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Tom Kunich wrote:
The bottom line is that you need to learn how to ride before you think
you're a star. I'd like to hear that you're a star later and not a
hospital case sooner.

Might not know it now
Baby, but I are, I'm a star!
I don't want 2 stop till I reach the top

Thanks, it's just an introductory class though, at the mo' no plans of
treading the gerbil wheel for real. If I like it, maybe. I do like
watching track races! Also, after years of spinning (I like the view
http://xs129.xs.to/xs129/08290/spin483.jpg) I feel reasonably confident
about getting on a fixie.
Old October 17th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:45:20 -0700 (PDT), LawBoy01
wrote:

What are the rest of you going to take on for your first race of the
upcoming season? What are you doing now and/or do you plan to do to
get ready for that first race (besides doping)?

Mine (apart from ski races) is some training race in a New York City
park in March. At the moment I'm not doing much - a little running, a
little skating, a little riding. Will ramp up the volume next month
and a little intensity.

Old October 17th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"Ted van de Weteringe" wrote in message
LawBoy01 wrote:
What are the rest of you going to take on for your first race of the
upcoming season? What are you doing now and/or do you plan to do to
get ready for that first race (besides doping)?

I'm getting onto the track in a few weeks for the first time in my life. I
figured that's where I have got the best shot at a Rainbow Jersey.

Make sure you have your gearing right ;-)

Old October 17th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Oct 16, 3:06*pm, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:

I'm getting onto the track in a few weeks for the first time in my life.
I figured that's where I have got the best shot at a Rainbow Jersey.

Do they give out rainbow jerseys here?

http://www.gaygames.com/en/

of course you'd have to ride for the other team. (not that there's
anything wrong with that).
Old October 17th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Oct 16, 2:45*pm, LawBoy01 wrote:

What are the rest of you going to take on for your first race of the
upcoming season? *What are you doing now and/or do you plan to do to
get ready for that first race (besides doping)?

I plan on beating my 15 yr old, X-C runner, daughter at a Thanksgiving
Day 5k.

I have like 5 weeks to get some running legs.
Old October 17th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

wrote:
On Oct 16, 3:06 pm, Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
I'm getting onto the track in a few weeks for the first time in my life.
I figured that's where I have got the best shot at a Rainbow Jersey.

Do they give out rainbow jerseys here?

http://www.gaygames.com/en/

of course you'd have to ride for the other team. (not that there's
anything wrong with that).

Does one have to be gay to participate in the Gay Games? If so, how do
they check?
Old October 17th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 02:33:20 +0200, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:

Does one have to be gay to participate in the Gay Games?

No.

Old October 17th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"LawBoy01" wrote in message

I thought about selling my second road bike (a Hans Schneider frameset
that I bought new early this year, just stripped down and had built up
with NOS/VCG Dura Ace bits, including some NOS hubs laced 3x - and
tied and soldered for the looks - to some Mavic tubular rime). If I
do that, I might buy a CX bike. I've never raced CX before. I could
keep my Schneider, and have Hans braze some cantilever mounts on the
frame, but I'd have to get a new fork 'cuz 25c tires are a tight fit
under the fork crown.

Here's a bit of advice - don't. Almost all semi-modern and modern bikes are
way too short wheelbased and too tight in the rear chainstays. You can get a
pretty fair sum for the Hans Schneider on Ebay and buy a LOW END Surly if
you like steel or Redline if you're willing to use aluminum.

I race Nashbar's "X" frame. Cheap, not perfect, but quite effective. But
as the saying goes, it's not about the bike. THe usual entry-level "CX
bike" in most places is a hardtail MTB, if you have one.

Unless you're racing in the pro ranks going for an ultra-light cross frame
is counter productive. You can gain far more time learning to race 'cross
properly than trying to buy it with a 10% lighter bike.

When you start running the weights on cheap aluminum CX frames, you
realize that it costs a huge amount of money to lose 400 g. The most
extreme carbon jobs right now are probably 2.5 pounds, while the cheap
and cheerful Al frames are about 3.5 pounds.

At the local bike shop, Kona and many others make fairly cheerful
cyclocross bikes that work great and cost about $700-1200. Hard to go
wrong.