Roundabouts

Old January 27th 12, 08:59 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.railway
Simon Lunn

Default Roundabouts

Despite supposedly tougher driving tests I'm increasingly appalled by
driver behaviour on roundabouts - in particular the almost total lack of
any signalling, either on the approach to the roundabout, or immediately
prior to the exit.
A large roundabout at the top of my town has very clear signs on the
approach showing which lane to be in for the exit you require. If you
want to go straight on then you should be in the outer or offside lane.
Despite this clear signing, many 'straight-on' drivers still approach in
the nearside lane and then get in a mess when they are 'cut-up' by
drivers in the correct inner lane of the roundabout taking 'their' exit.
Of course it is always the 'cut-up' drivers who blast their horns -
despite the fact that it is they who are in the wrong.

Old January 27th 12, 09:06 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.railway
Mark Goodge

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:59:42 -0400, Simon Lunn put finger to keyboard and
typed:

Despite supposedly tougher driving tests I'm increasingly appalled by
driver behaviour on roundabouts

It's as remarkable as someone managing to crosspost an article about
driving to three different groups, all of which have nothing to do with
driving.

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk
Old January 27th 12, 09:08 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.railway
Pat O'Neill

"Mark Goodge" wrote in message
house.net...
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:59:42 -0400, Simon Lunn put finger to keyboard and
typed:

Despite supposedly tougher driving tests I'm increasingly appalled by
driver behaviour on roundabouts

It's as remarkable as someone managing to crosspost an article about
driving to three different groups, all of which have nothing to do with
driving.

Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk

Is it half-term already?

Old January 27th 12, 09:27 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Graeme Wall

On 27/01/2012 20:59, Simon Lunn wrote:
Despite supposedly tougher driving tests I'm increasingly appalled by
driver behaviour on roundabouts - in particular the almost total lack of
any signalling, either on the approach to the roundabout, or immediately
prior to the exit.
A large roundabout at the top of my town has very clear signs on the
approach showing which lane to be in for the exit you require. If you
want to go straight on then you should be in the outer or offside lane.
Despite this clear signing, many 'straight-on' drivers still approach in
the nearside lane and then get in a mess when they are 'cut-up' by
drivers in the correct inner lane of the roundabout taking 'their' exit.
Of course it is always the 'cut-up' drivers who blast their horns -
despite the fact that it is they who are in the wrong.

And the relevance to railways is?

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old January 28th 12, 12:57 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.railway
jnugent

On 27/01/2012 20:59, Simon Lunn wrote:

Despite supposedly tougher driving tests I'm increasingly appalled by driver
behaviour on roundabouts

So although you think you have passed one of these "supposedly tougher
driving tests", you actually aren't so sure about it.

Is that about right?

Old January 28th 12, 05:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jan 27, 8:59*pm, Simon Lunn wrote:
Despite supposedly tougher driving tests I'm increasingly appalled by
driver behaviour on roundabouts - in particular the almost total lack of
any signalling, either on the approach to the roundabout, or immediately
prior to the exit.

This one is a cracker :-)

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/numpty.mp4

--
Simon Mason
Old January 29th 12, 12:29 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
®i©ardo

On 27/01/2012 21:27, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 27/01/2012 20:59, Simon Lunn wrote:
Despite supposedly tougher driving tests I'm increasingly appalled by
driver behaviour on roundabouts - in particular the almost total lack of
any signalling, either on the approach to the roundabout, or immediately
prior to the exit.
A large roundabout at the top of my town has very clear signs on the
approach showing which lane to be in for the exit you require. If you
want to go straight on then you should be in the outer or offside lane.
Despite this clear signing, many 'straight-on' drivers still approach in
the nearside lane and then get in a mess when they are 'cut-up' by
drivers in the correct inner lane of the roundabout taking 'their' exit.
Of course it is always the 'cut-up' drivers who blast their horns -
despite the fact that it is they who are in the wrong.

And the relevance to railways is?

It's on the road from the station?

--
Moving things in still pictures
Old January 29th 12, 08:46 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.railway
Ian Smith[_8_]

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:59:42 -0400, Simon Lunn couldnae haud thur wheesht
ony mair an' gied us this:

Despite supposedly tougher driving tests I'm increasingly appalled by
driver behaviour on roundabouts - in particular the almost total lack of
any signalling, either on the approach to the roundabout, or immediately
prior to the exit.
A large roundabout at the top of my town has very clear signs on the
approach showing which lane to be in for the exit you require. If you
want to go straight on then you should be in the outer or offside lane.
Despite this clear signing, many 'straight-on' drivers still approach in
the nearside lane and then get in a mess when they are 'cut-up' by
drivers in the correct inner lane of the roundabout taking 'their' exit.
Of course it is always the 'cut-up' drivers who blast their horns -
despite the fact that it is they who are in the wrong.

I fear it's not so much a lack of understanding which causes incidents
such as this, but rather a selfish disregard for other road users,
despite knowing the rules full well. The Highway Code is too often seen
as nothing more than a journey-lengthening inconvenience.

Not that I claim to be a perfect driver or cyclist, but when out and
about, I seek to avoid conflict, show consideration, and try to make
things smoother in some small way for all road users, including myself.
Occasionally, though, it just feels like I'm ****ing in the wind.

--
Perpetual Calendar - http://www.1r5.net
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/1r5.net
Old January 29th 12, 08:55 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.railway
Turk182

On Jan 27, 8:59*pm, Simon Lunn wrote:
Despite supposedly tougher driving tests I'm increasingly appalled by
driver behaviour on roundabouts - in particular the almost total lack of
any signalling, either on the approach to the roundabout, or immediately
prior to the exit.

You've been watching police cars again!

Turk182
Old January 29th 12, 09:47 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.railway
Bruce[_6_]

Ian Smith wrote:
[...]

Most drivers above 'a certain age' were taught that either of two
lanes can be used if going straight on. However, driving instructors
now tell their clients that, absent any specific lane markings, they
should use the left hand lane if going straight ahead. Apparently
this is preferred by driving test examiners.

The problem comes when those of us who are above 'a certain age' see
younger drivers always using the left lane to go straight on. It is
easy to criticise, but if that is how younger drivers have been taught
to drive, that is how many (not all) of them will drive.

The Highway Code is ambiguous on this point:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070338

"186 Signals and position.

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings
indicate otherwise

- signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
- keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to
leave

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or
markings indicate otherwise
- signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
- keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes
to exit the roundabout
- signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate
otherwise

- select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
- you should not normally need to signal on approach
- stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the
roundabout
- signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout,
use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it."

I don't have an older copy of the Highway Code to compare.

Roundabouts? [email protected][_2_] Recumbent Biking 8 February 11th 10 10:01 PM
Roundabouts Trevor Brown UK 158 August 27th 08 05:52 PM
Roundabouts - turning right Katanga-Man UK 8 June 4th 04 10:47 PM
I hate roundabouts. Simon Mason UK 21 October 17th 03 01:48 PM
Roundabouts - how to take them? FM UK 14 July 23rd 03 12:15 PM