RR: N/Combine Hill Climb Champs - Humevale 22/10/05

Old October 22nd 05, 09:54 AM
GPLama

Default RR: N/Combine Hill Climb Champs - Humevale 22/10/05

I thought I'd give this one a shot - Rode out from the city with a few
others from HCC.. 51kms later we were at the base of the climb.. fair turn
out of juniors and around 15(?) elite and masters riders..

Climb details are on cycle2max.com, so I wont go into details.. except to
say the road surface is bumpy - like the Kew boulie in a few parts. That
mixed with wet roads and a bit of bark/debris from the recent storms made
for a fun ITT!...

The timing points were a little different to the c2m climb, so we all made
sure to time ourselves from those points and let the officials work out the
other times.

With all the bumps you really have to pick a good line and keep watching the
road, making this a tough climb for an ITT... I got to the top in 17:05
(16:49 c2m timing points).. which gave me 4th place.. 20 seconds off 3rd...
time to start training for these longer hill efforts - taxing on the legs,
lungs and the mind..

118kms all up @30.4... I'm spent - it'll be a miracle if I show up on the BR
tomorrow...

cheers,
GPL

Old October 22nd 05, 11:21 AM
essendon93

GPLama Wrote:
[...]

Top time as always. The only time I do that climb is when the road is
dry, and there hasn't been any wild weather recently. The road is bad
enough as it is, but when you have to dodge debris on a greasy
road...well I'll pass thanks

85km to Mordialloc for me today, backing up for BR tomorrow provided
it's dry and no wind I'm tipping a PB for me on the climb, my OCR has
just found a little speed

--
essendon93

Old October 22nd 05, 11:58 AM
GPLama

"essendon93" wrote in message ...

85km to Mordialloc for me today, backing up for BR tomorrow provided
it's dry and no wind I'm tipping a PB for me on the climb, my OCR has
just found a little speed

Do tell, do tell!...

cheers,
GPL

Old October 22nd 05, 12:18 PM
essendon93

GPLama Wrote:
"essendon93" wrote in message ...

85km to Mordialloc for me today, backing up for BR tomorrow provided
it's dry and no wind I'm tipping a PB for me on the climb, my OCR has
just found a little speed

Do tell, do tell!...

cheers,
GPL

Continental GP4000's, I can't believe how much difference a decent tyre
makes, so so smooth

--
essendon93

Old October 22nd 05, 01:18 PM
flyingdutch

essendon93 Wrote:
Continental GP4000's, I can't believe how much difference a decent tyre
makes, so so smooth

dont worry the 'Roubaix' section in Donvale will make em 'norml again

--
flyingdutch

Old October 22nd 05, 01:51 PM
GPLama

"flyingdutch" wrote in message ...

essendon93 Wrote:
Continental GP4000's, I can't believe how much difference a decent tyre
makes, so so smooth

dont worry the 'Roubaix' section in Donvale will make em 'norml again

10% off all weekend at probikekit - so I'm madly thinking of other things I
need to justify my order of GP4000's

cheers,
GPL

Old October 22nd 05, 03:47 PM
A5hi5M

. ..

essendon93 Wrote:
Continental GP4000's, I can't believe how much difference a decent tyre
makes, so so smooth

dont worry the 'Roubaix' section in Donvale will make em 'norml again

10% off all weekend at probikekit - so I'm madly thinking of other things
I need to justify my order of GP4000's

cheers,
GPL

Been thinking exactly the same thing. "If im going to order those, what
else should i get while im at it..?"

Ash

Old October 22nd 05, 09:23 PM
hippy

A5hi5M Wrote:

10% off all weekend at probikekit - so I'm madly thinking of other

things
I need to justify my order of GP4000's
GPL

Been thinking exactly the same thing. "If im going to order those,
what
else should i get while im at it..?"

I'm a bit disappointed with UK 'bike stuff' prices. I was sure it was
going to be cheaper for bike-related goodies over here given the higher
number of cyclists and closer proximity to Europe (a.k.a cycling heaven)
but it ain't
I need a cheap saddle, cheap spd pedals, cheap skinny flat bar and
cheap headset. Spot a pattern? Bike shops here just don't have cheap
stuff.. so it looks like ebay and probikekit will be getting my business
until I actually have real money to spend in a shop.. Not how I like
to do things but beggars can't be choosers. Oh, the shops nearby also
don't do repairs over the weekend and don't carry the headset I need
(1-1/8 quill style).
I was also looking for warm gear (I don't own much) and long-sleeve
jerseys are like 40quid! It'd be cheaper for me to fly home and stock
up than buy here! Grrr... Oh, sorry.. /whinge

hippy

--
hippy

Old October 22nd 05, 10:24 PM
dave

hippy wrote:
A5hi5M Wrote:

10% off all weekend at probikekit - so I'm madly thinking of other

things

I need to justify my order of GP4000's
GPL

Been thinking exactly the same thing. "If im going to order those,
what
else should i get while im at it..?"

I'm a bit disappointed with UK 'bike stuff' prices. I was sure it was
going to be cheaper for bike-related goodies over here given the higher
number of cyclists and closer proximity to Europe (a.k.a cycling heaven)
but it ain't

Told Ya

I need a cheap saddle, cheap spd pedals, cheap skinny flat bar and
cheap headset. Spot a pattern? Bike shops here just don't have cheap
stuff.. so it looks like ebay and probikekit will be getting my business
until I actually have real money to spend in a shop.. Not how I like
to do things but beggars can't be choosers. Oh, the shops nearby also
don't do repairs over the weekend and don't carry the headset I need
(1-1/8 quill style).

And generally doesnt the service vary... from great if dealing with an
enthusiast to er suicidal if dealing with some of the shop assistance.

Old October 22nd 05, 11:31 PM
hippy

dave Wrote:

I need a cheap saddle, cheap spd pedals, cheap skinny flat bar and
cheap headset. Spot a pattern? Bike shops here just don't have

cheap
stuff.. so it looks like ebay and probikekit will be getting my

business
until I actually have real money to spend in a shop.. Not how I

like
to do things but beggars can't be choosers. Oh, the shops nearby

also
don't do repairs over the weekend and don't carry the headset I need
(1-1/8 quill style).

And generally doesnt the service vary... from great if dealing with an
enthusiast to er suicidal if dealing with some of the shop
assistance.
[/color]

Yeah, although the three shops I hit yesterday were pretty friendly..
they just didn't have what I wanted and couldn't install a new headset
until Monday (or provide the tools I need to do it myself). Fsck I wish
I had an Aheadset setup..

I miss my toolbox

Oh, and I can't find any decent places that sell used/second-hand
bikes! In Melbourne it was easy but over here the only used bikes
available are ****ty mtb's that would go for $15 at a garage sale in
Melbourne but here people want 50quid for 'em!

On the up-side, you can walk into an Evans store (major lbs chain) and
buy a street fixie off the shelf.

hippy

--
hippy

Indoor Team Hill Climb Championship Photo JonBenet Ramsey Racing 0 March 24th 05 05:29 AM
Hill climb races in the Northeast. steveyo Unicycling 7 February 1st 05 01:41 AM
Fargo Hill Climb whinds Social Issues 1 January 3rd 05 08:15 PM
RR: Hill Climb night MattB Mountain Biking 4 July 19th 03 01:04 AM